Cleric Deck

T

train

this is me...

not giving blue props...

:mad:

:p

And not only did it win with that - my gf at the time loved playing it...:rolleyes:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's like the Plague Rats of yesteryear, where you wished you could put more in a deck (that and Orcish Mine :) )

T

train

More than four psychic venoms in a deck spidey - that's just plain sick!...:eek:

T

train

Spiderman - your friendly neighborhood masochist!...:p

I like the idea of the recent break the rules rats - but not for psychic venoms...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It might need tweaking but I think they're a good idea... I mean, they're local enchantments, one of the weakest types in the game...

T

train

I'd say local enchantments are the weakest - as you mentioned... but you've got to realize that you are stopping your opponent from tapping for mana, unless they take damage...

and then you're probably going to counterspell anyways...

:rolleyes:

M

mythosx

hahahahahha... wasnt there something like that where if you tapped for mana it destroyed the land?

T

train

I rate it fourth to, in this order: Armageddon, Vindicate, Pillage, then Sinkhole...

It's cheaper than the last 2 before it, but unless you're running pure land destruction, Vindicate and Pillage offer more utility...:cool:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, there's Strip Mine though...

...and Sinkhole is much more potent (in monoblack) than something like Pillage...

Really, I would rank Sinkhole as the #2 LD card behind Strip Mine...

M

mythosx

strip mine wasnt that great. It was a land. so basically if you used it to ld...that means you missed a land drop of your own.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by train
I'd say local enchantments are the weakest - as you mentioned... but you've got to realize that you are stopping your opponent from tapping for mana, unless they take damage...

and then you're probably going to counterspell anyways...

:rolleyes:
Yeah,but back then, there were really only 3 "common" counterspells (no one I knew had Mana Drains) so that was only 12 counterspells out of 60 cards, which isn't that great of a ratio. More often than not, the opponent could get out of it (especially if they were willing to take the 2 dmg anyway for a good spell). And you only had 4 Venoms...

You're kidding about the Library, right? You didn't use a smilie... the cheapest, uncounterable card-drawer there is...

And Strip Mine was uncounterable too, it was excellent because it could kill ANY land. Dual, that one basic, a "special" land like Mishra's Factory or Library, you couldn't stop it. And if disruption is your strategy, it doesn't matter that you lose a land drop, you're disrupting your opponent is what matters.

M

mythosx

I realize the disruption factor..but most decks i make are either mana rich or dont require mana. Strip mine is not uncounterble. Harrow deals with them quite nicely actually.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As a land, Strip Mine is uncounterable, as opposed to a spell. Harrow merely gets around it and helps you recover (although it can delay you while you're looking for that 3rd mana for Harrow).

Are you playing opponents who use Strip Mine? And follow the B/R list? 'Cause certainly 1 isn't going to affect you that much nowadays - that's why it's on the B/R list. 4 in a deck were way powerful (and 95% of every deck packed them, no matter what they were, beatdown, control, whatever).