Cleric Deck

R

Reverend Love

It was a little steep I think. However since it's most likely you mom or dad's credit card you used I thought suggesting an extremely reputable site would be the best course of action.

If it were me personally I'd go to:

www.collectmart.com/magic

Their website looks real janky, like some kid from his basemate, however they're EXTREMELY professional, cheap, and quick with shipping. Also their card quality is superb..best available in my opinion.

I've ordered well over 500+ worth of cardboard from collectmart....I can't hype them enough.

Also Homestar be patient while waiting for your cards. Starcitygames is a BIG operation; it might take awhile for you to get your cards.

With that said we should get to building his deck right

H

Homestar

yes plz im definatly gonna need help on what kinda cards i should run with what i have for the time bieng.

T

train

What if we put the return address as StarCity's return address...

I recently found out this is not mail fraud...:rolleyes:

And we're talking about donations here...:D

T

train

or - you could be getting some stuff that was put on back order...;)

Not trying to get you in trouble - but freebies are worth getting if you really want them...

R

Reverend Love

Seriously you guys, stop offering to give the kid cards. Take a second and think about the f'ing colossal can of worms your opening right now.

His parent's have already laid the law down; you should respect their wishes.

H

Homestar

hey i have a few more questions, o.k now say i attack with vile deacon and he becomes a 10/10, could i sac. him with starlit sanctum and make sum1 lose 10 life? and the other thing is, with like cabal archons, it says target player LOSES 2 life, can that be prevented? and also say sum1 targets one of my guys with a banishing card, can i sacrifice him the cabal archon or sanctum for their effect?

R

Rooser

The answer to all of those questions is yes. Oh, except the loss of life one. The basic difference between life loss and damage is simply that life loss isn't damage and what that means is that it can't be affected by things that reference damage, such as damage prevention.

As for the card prices from Star City ... those are way too high. Ebay for newer rares, BigMtg, CCGHouse, or CCGWarehouse for all the rest.

As for your parents, we are beating a dead horse by discussing it, and I think you should respect your parents at least until you're 18, but it still bothers me to see some parents inadvertently stifle their children with their ignorance. The sad fact is, if you were 16 before you started getting into this game, they would have a whole lot more respect for it, but now that you started when you're 10, they're gonna be upset if you're still into it when you're 16 because they'll be waiting for you to "outgrow" it. And yet, here you are discussing the game with a bunch of 20+ and 30+ adults....:rolleyes:

R

Reverend Love

4 Cabal Archon
4 Doubtless One
4 Whipgrass Entangler (these guys are AWESOME!)
2 Akroma's Devoted
2 Withered Wretch
2 Vile Deacon

23 Lands
4 Starlit Sanctum

This is a baseline of what I suggest.

H

Homestar

i have all those except withered wretch. what about edgewalkers?and for some reason i always have my hallowed healers in. i just love them for some reason. i put 4 vile deacons in tho. ahhh screw it ill just give u the whole deck list i made:

Creatures:
Edgewalker x4
Doubtless one x4
Vile deacon x4
Noble Templar x2
Whipgrass Entangler x3
Cabal Archon x4
Hallowed Healer x4
Akroma's devoted x2
Daunting defender (I should chuck him shouldnt i?)
Daru Spiritualist (same with him huh?)

Instant's/sorceries:
Wing Shards x4
Aphetto Dredging x4
Patriarchs bidding
Profane Prayers x2

lands:
Plains x9
Swamp x8
Starlit Sanctum x3

so how did i do? gimme suggestions on what to take out. those are all my good clerics so i cant do much with suggestions for stuff to add in. i like them a lot but im seriously considering taking out my hallowed healers, should i?

o and i actually did slim it down already. all i did was take out the templars and the daunting defender and spiritialist. now leaves me with 32 spells. so how much mana do u reccomend i put in?

deck size dusnt matter

R

Reverend Love

Here's what I would run....

Clerics: 29
4 Doubtless One
4 Whipgrass Entangler
4 Cabal Archon
3 Vile Deacon
2 Akroma's Devoted
2 Noble Templar
4 Daru Spiritualist
4 Edge Walker
2 Battlefield Medic

Spells: 9
4 Wing Shards
2 Misery Charm
1 Patriarch's Bidding
2 Profane Prayers

Land: 22
3 Starlit Sanctum
10 Plains
9 Swamps

I'd use Misery Charms instead of Aphetto Dredging because it's and cheaper, and an instant (good for wing shards), and can eat someone’s life for a win.

Just remember that if your creature is going to die, respond with either Starlit Sanctum or Cabal Archon.

So lets say someone attacks, you block with a small cleric after damage goes on the stack (your cleric is still around) use archon or sanctum.

Profane Prayers is HOT! You could definitely eat away someone's remaining life total here.

Also with your Whipgrass Entangler you can use his ability multiple times on the same creature (correct me if I'm wrong here guys).

Let me know how your deck works out alright?

Also if let's say you attack with Vile Deacon who gets like +5 +5 and your opponent is down to 14 life and your deacon gets through, sac him using Sanctum after damage goes on the stack for the win.

H

Homestar

thats a good idea rev but i only have 2 daru spiritualists and i dont have a misery charm. so ill just run the same stuff without those. so to make up for the misery charm should i just run 4 deacons? but then i still have 3 less cards then i should......... o and u said if one of my ppl are about to die then respond with a staarlit or an archon, well i cant, cuz my friend disagrees wiht me (and rooser cuz he said so to) so if i do that then he will think im cheating. when rooser said it he's like "o well how do i kno that hes not really stupid and doesnt kno what hes talking about?" so yea maybe if i get all of you to tell me f u agree or disagree i could get him to beleeve me.

H

Homestar

he says that if one of my ppl are targeted with a banishing spell hes like "o no thats definatly not true cuz then im just banshing air!". he also thinks that there is no such thing as the stack. and he says that if one of my guys is about to die in combat then he just says i cant do it. he doesnt have a reason for thinking that.

R

Reverend Love

He can disagree until he's blue in the face however your friend fortunately (for you) he is dead wrong.

A creatures damage is placed on the stack just like a creature ability, both which are independent of the creature.

Let me use the classic example of an Archer firing his bow.

Let's say your creature is the archer and his damage is the arrow. During combat your creature deals his damage "firing his arrow" once the arrow is in the air it doesn't matter what happens to the archer because the arrow is already in the air.

That's what allows you to both attack and sac with a creature.

Post the deck you came up with Homestar.

H

Homestar

o.k, heres what i came up with:

Creatures:
Vile Deacon x4
Cabal Archon x4
Doubtless One x4
Edgewalker x4
Whipgrass Entangler x4
Akroma's Devoted x2

Instants/Sorceries:
Wing Shards x4
Aphetto Dredging x4
Profane Prayers x2
Patriarchs Bidding

Lands:
Plains x9
Swamp x8
Starlit Sanctum x3

i kno its not 60 cards quite yet but juss playin casually my friends dont care. i still need rotlungs. they are my first priority right now above Scion.

R

Reverend Love

Drop 2 of the Aphetto Dredge

Up the land count to 22

If it's not a combo deck Rotlung isn't really worth running. I'd look to get the Scions first.