Christians massacred in Pakistan

Z

Zadok001

Just two arguments for Multani:

"CNN is far from objective in a time like this."

"As I said above, prove it?"

"Told you above why CNN would have more incentive to have more propaganda in its coverage."

That's hardly a proof, Multani. Its a statement of opinion that CNN has greater incentive to lie. That cannot be shown to be true. This is not proof.

------------

"CNN is far from objective in a time like this."

"As I said above, prove it?"

"Gee, where do I start with this one. Well, for one thing, on CNN I have seen basically, one general viewpoint. I see nothing regarding whether or not the U.S. should or shouldn't be attacking. It's rather, which method of attack will be most destructive. That doesn't sound like objectivism to me. "

Huh? Sounds pretty objective to me. They aren't discussing whether it's right or wrong - How can they be presenting subjectivism on a subject they aren't talking about? Talking about what methods of attack are more destructive IS objective - Attack A does more damage than attack B. Objective. If they aren't mentioning whether or not the US should be attacking, aren't they presenting the ultimate in objective viewpoints regarding that issue - No viewpoint at all?

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Multani:
Technically, remember that international law is on Afghanistan's side.
How do you figure this? From everything I've seen it's been pretty much the whole rest of the world backing the US effort. There is no huge outcry against the planned invasion of Taliban held territory (except, of course, amongst the Taliban, and other groups with a reason to hate the US) and there would be if the US were the slightest bit in the wrong here. If anything, I'd say 95% of the rest of the world is cheering us on right now, and I'd include many of the residents of Afghanistan in that estimate.

This is however, not to say that Al Jazzerra does not also have a large amount of propaganda in its news. It's just that CNN has an even larger amount.
Given the fact that the US is the country that is in the right here, internationally speaking, I also don't understand how you've come to this conclusion. If fact, from a bin Laden perspective, I'd say that the whole reason for the events of 9/11 was to provoke a US retaliation that could be used to foment even more hate for us. All it will take, frankly, is a few more bombs hitting civilian targets, for the next generation of terrorists to be born...

And Al Jazzerra (and CNN, as well as dozens of other news channels for that matter) would be more than happy to report it.

Also, remember that it's the U.S. that hit Afghanistan first, not the other way around.
I seem to remember it raining airplanes around here back on September 11th. I don't think we were bombing the Taliban back then, so I think you need to adjust your timeline a bit...

The U.S. has no legal right or power over Afghanistan. Doesn't matter that Bin Laden is there.
Actually, see if you can follow this line of reasoning: We've managed to at least establish that the principles involved in the events of 9/11 are connected to bin Laden's organization, Al Qaida (sp). Since bin Laden, and Al Qaida, are currently among the leaders of the Taliban, and the Taliban consider themselves to be the current rulers of Afghanistan, it naturally follows that the current government of Afghanistan was involved with the events of 9/11.

Many of us here in the US saw the events of 9/11 as a declaration of war. I mean, 5000+ of our civilians were executed in a sneak attack, so how could it not be perceived as such? And, as such, it seems to me the US has exercised tremendous restraint by not blaming all of Afghanistan, and utterly destroying the whole damn country.

Which would, of course, have played right into bin Laden's hands...:(

Gizmo:
I'm personally going to continue to point my finger at the hardline mass-murdering war criminal Ariel Sharon, and at the US government`s mindless willingness to follow him every step of the way into hell.
I'll agree with you, Gizmo, that many of the recruits bin Laden uses hate the US for the reason you cited. It's also the reason for the 5% of the world that thinks we deserved to have the events of 9/11 visited upon us.

But it probably isn't the reason for those attacks...

See, he sent those people here back in 1993 for their flight training, when Sharon wasn't in power. And bin Laden himself has stated that his war upon the US is because of our use of his homeland (Saudi Arabia) as a staging area during the Desert Storm conflict.

At least, that's his excuse...:(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Things started to pick up on Friday, just my luck to be out of the office.

So much to reply to, let's see...

Duke said:
Spiderman, all I have to say is...whatever man.

I didn't wanna reply to you because if I do, we'd go forever...and believe me, I don't have that much time left. Here's my reply: I think you're wrong. Your reason for having the Middle Eastern society constantly attacking the U.S. is wrong. That's what I think. I, with respect, ask you to read Daggertooth's information. Although it's not the full story, it's the truth.

And...one more thing before you go off stating: "you yourself is close-minded, rude, and twist only those facts that suit your needs," please read what I have said before. I think you are rude, not because you disagree with me, but because you assume all those horrible things of me...but that's fine. I didn't think you respected me AT ALL, especially with all those extensive "roll eyes." But what the hell...if you choose to follow that path...heh...
I don't mind that you didn't want to respond to me. What I DO mind is the lack of courtesy in not telling me.

Yeah, I read Daggertooth's information and agree with it for the most part. And as I said before, so what? Blacks and American Indians can file MUCH bigger grieviances against the US.

Yes, before I forget...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spiderman, from the "More Taliban Jokes" thread:
Like the Taliban themselves is going to admit their soldiers are being killed; of course they're only going to mention civilian casualties (which is hard enough to confirm since they don't allow anyone in there).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact is, it HAS been confirmed, by Aljazeera. They showed horrible pictures of dead kids, men almost crying for their lost wives, and little kids fleeing to Pakistan to WORK for living...all because of the bombings. It has been perfectly confirmed, not by CNN, but by Aljazeera. By saying that it is "hard enough to confirm since they don't allow anyone there," you have just declared Aljazeera as an untruthful media, because THEY have been there, they've recorded it all, and they've seen it all...when you don't believe them, or when you don't think they're credible, as in "hard enough to confrim," than obviously, you think they're are liers.
Like others have said, being shown by a news station is not "confirmation". What is confirmation is a video following a bomb's track all the way down to its messy result.

Let me ask you this, what is Al-Jazeera saying about Taliban soldier casulaties?

Well, could you please quote me, where I stated that it was a FACT that Isreali workers were missing? More even, can you quote me where I stated that Aljazeera stated that? Must be my memory, for I don't recall saying such "facts."
As I recall, Ura or someone did that. So what do you have to say now? Are you going to ignore that you were wrong here too?

All you have to say is that whenever someone proves you wrong, and if you don't respond to it, then you have implicitly acknowledged that you were wrong and we can go on from there. Otherwise, you make people feel like they're doing all this work for naught and that you're just ignoring it. We just need some baseline rules here.

Just one little thing: if I was closed minded, I would not have agreed with Daggertooth. If I was closed minded, I would not have argued my way out of every other conversation that discusses this issue on these boards...am I just closed minded in this thread? Hmmm...or is it that topic that I'm discussing that you don't like to face? Ask ANYONE on the boards, ask Spiderman himself, I've been very open minded in all other threads concerning this issue...I'm not closed now, but the topic is too sensitive for you to digest, that's all.
Agreeing with Daggertooth whose view at that time happened to agree with yours is NOT being open-minded. But I WILL agree that you've been pretty open-minded in all the other threads concerning this issue.

Funny how when they are asked to leave, a war breaks lose so they can have a reason to stay there.
Like someone else asked, when was the US asked to leave?

Gizmo said:
I'm personally going to continue to point my finger at the hardline mass-murdering war criminal Ariel Sharon, and at the US government`s mindless willingness to follow him every step of the way into hell. I dont feel the Israeli people are blameless seeing as their country was set on a path to peace - with a peacemaking president - who they voted out of office in favour of a warmongering right-winger in a landslide election.
Isn't the US trying to get them to another cease-fire right now and it's the Israelis who are saying "bugger off"? :)

Multani said:
After reviewing all 5(!)pages of this thread and seeing DUke's outbursts, and Spiderman's seemingly arrogant replies, I think we need to put some focus back into this discussion.
Except for my last post on Thursday, which was more out of frustration, please point out to me where I have seemed arrogant and what I was responding to.

I also thank Ura for popping in and adding his viewpoint. :thumbs up:

G

Gizmo

Spidey. Its like this:

US: Well, Ariel, we`d really quite like you to stop murdering people.
Israel: Youve never had a problem with it before.
US: Yeah, but now its really threatening to rock the boat and destroy the entire world.
Israel: *thinks for a second* No I dont want to, I was elected on a mandate of murdering people so Im going to murder them. Its what my public wants.
US: Potentially we might get cross.
Israel: Kiss my Mooo.
US: *puckers up*

The US has all the leverage power it could ever want over Israel, and yet it is using none of it. Only when the US puts pressure on does the Israeli nation move towards peace (it was US pressure post Gulf War that broached the Oslo Peace Process). But whenever US interests recede from the world stage the pressure on Israel disappears. The US is still reaping what it has sown through this failure of moral fibre.
For the sheer quantity of military and financial aid that the US blindly sends to Israel every year, the place might as well be formally added on as another State. The US is fully aware of every dirty act perpetrated by the Israeli government, hell, it PAYS for most of them.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Putting aside the colorful descriptive choice of words, can you break down for me how many cease-fires there have been or agreed to between Israel and Palestine, and why they did not stick?

D

DÛke

Spiderman: "As I recall, Ura or someone did that. So what do you have to say now?"

No, actually, nobody did. Could you please point it out?

Spiderman: "Are you going to ignore that you were wrong here too?"

I believe this is the type of arrogance Multani was talking about.

Spiderman: "Agreeing with Daggertooth whose view at that time happened to agree with yours is NOT being open-minded."

Um, but the reality is, I never disagreed with Daggertooth on any issue in this thread. Am I still closed-minded? To you? Probably...

Spiderman: "Like someone else asked, when was the US asked to leave?"

By Arabia? Oh, it was asked to take out its troops for some time now. Sadly, this new "war" begun, so now they don't really have to leave...in fact, I think they're sending or have sent more troops there. Additionally, they were arrogantly warned by bin Ladin to leave...they didn't...and look what happened. Beautiful, isn't it?

Spiderman: "Isn't the US trying to get them to another cease-fire right now and it's the Israelis who are saying 'bugger off'?"

Funny how suddenly the U.S. is asking them to cease-fire, don't you think? And all these years of Palistines suffering was not really of a concerning matter, it's just that now, it involved the U.S., and people are starting to point finger at the U.S. and its letting the Isrealis get away with almost anything they want...so now, to improve its image, the U.S. is asking them to "cease-fire," when really, it's just personal interest. If they were doing it from the "peaceful" side, then they should've asked them to cease-fire sometime ago. Furthermore, I personally, along with millions of Muslims around the world, think they should have not supported them in the first place...

TomB: "Many of us here in the US saw the events of 9/11 as a declaration of war. I mean, 5000+ of our civilians were executed in a sneak attack, so how could it not be perceived as such? And, as such, it seems to me the US has exercised tremendous restraint by not blaming all of Afghanistan, and utterly destroying the whole damn country."

Well, many more Arabians (much more than 5000+) died in some way or another directly or indirectly because of the United States. What Taliban did is restrainted themselves from blaming all of the United States, and instead, destroyed or damaged some of its most glorious accomplishments.

This is the first time ever I agree with you TomB. :) I agree with you that the U.S. has "exercised tremendous restrainted by not blaming all of Afganistan," but you and many others yourselves must understand that the same thing happened to the Arabian worlds, and only now are you seeing the retaliation. What Taliban has done is the same thing the U.S. is doing now. It's all retaliations. Just like the United States retaliation is justified as a hit-back for its losses on 9/11, you all must look at the 9/11 case as a hit-back for the losses of the past that the Arabian worlds have lost...

This is not about the United States or any other country; it's about understanding that these things happened for a reason. I'm not so angery on the U.S. because I completely understand the problems the government must be going through on making decisions, but the general public must understand why 9/11 happened, and must understand what the U.S. is retaliating. The 9/11 case didn't just come out of thin air, in fact, it was predicted. It was bound to happen, sooner, or later...simply because the logic of it, people lost their lives in the Arabian socities, and friends and relatives had to avenge in one way or another. What happened on 9/11 is justified. The U.S. killing innocent civilians now is justified too: first, it's indriect (let's hope it isn't, at least), and it's for the cause of retaliation. I lost members myself, and I still think retaliation is wrong, but I'm not going to lie and say "I didn't expect it." People are so angery, and anger is justified by human nature. Just like the U.S. citizens are angery, the Arabs are angery...there's nothing wrong with that...

All that said, I think it is very stupid that the U.S. is trying to solve the issue of terrorism by retaliation, because retaliation is a form of terrorism itself. It's fine to retaliate, but name it more appropriately...not "War against Terrorism." Like I said, the retaliation itself is justified completely...

I would be very stupid and closed minded if I only justify the Taliban side, or if I only justify the U.S. side. I think both sides have done what was to be done. There's was nothing really unusual...

Finally, I think THIS is as open the open-mindedness can get...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by DÛke

Spiderman: "As I recall, Ura or someone did that. So what do you have to say now?"

Actually, it WAS Ura. Find his post from 11/2/2001 at 12:41 and he rehashes it all right there, right from teh very beginning of his post.

Spiderman: "Are you going to ignore that you were wrong here too?"

I believe this is the type of arrogance Multani was talking about.
Apparently that's the only way to gain your attention. And I think it's pure arrogance not to admit you're wrong when the facts have been stated and your statement disproved.

Um, but the reality is, I never disagreed with Daggertooth on any issue in this thread. Am I still closed-minded? To you? Probably...
You know, I actually did my homework and re-read this thread... and it turns out YOU ARE RIGHT HERE. So my bad... (see how this is NOT ignoring your statement?)

Spiderman: "Like someone else asked, when was the US asked to leave?"

By Arabia? Oh, it was asked to take out its troops for some time now. Sadly, this new "war" begun, so now they don't really have to leave...in fact, I think they're sending or have sent more troops there. Additionally, they were arrogantly warned by bin Ladin to leave...they didn't...and look what happened. Beautiful, isn't it?
Again, like Ura asked, by whom and when? Where's your proof?

And please pardon me while I chuckle at "bin Laden asking us to leave"... like I said earlier, he has little if any say in Saudi government affairs. If anything, it would be a "citizen's" request and as such, pretty much have no say.

You have evidence to prove me wrong, please enlighten me and I will be gald to revisit my position.

Spiderman: "Isn't the US trying to get them to another cease-fire right now and it's the Israelis who are saying 'bugger off'?"

Funny how suddenly the U.S. is asking them to cease-fire, don't you think? And all these years of Palistines suffering was not really of a concerning matter, it's just that now, it involved the U.S., and people are starting to point finger at the U.S. and its letting the Isrealis get away with almost anything they want...so now, to improve its image, the U.S. is asking them to "cease-fire," when really, it's just personal interest. If they were doing it from the "peaceful" side, then they should've asked them to cease-fire sometime ago. Furthermore, I personally, along with millions of Muslims around the world, think they should have not supported them in the first place...
Are you kidding? Why all the trips to Camp David and who was behind all of them in the past 10 years (when Israel and Palestine could agree to go in the first place)? This is not "all of a sudden." And I repeat: please chronicle all the past cease-fires and the reason why they have not stuck. Perhaps then it'll show who's not serious about peace.

Finally, I think THIS is as open the open-mindedness can get...
I'll agree here....

U

Ura

Multani said:
Ah, yes, I suppose I'll have to wait 20 years to find out who really attacked the World Trade Center when they declassify the necessary information, which, by that time, no one will give a rat's behind about it, but then again, that's what the FBI wants isn't it? You must admit, under the circumstances you described, it's extremely easy for the government to falsely convict someone of crimes they never commited...I mean, any information that could prove you innocent is conveniently classifed. Which brings to mind whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty. Why, I wouldn't be surprised if I were suddenly one day questioned by the FBI as to my alleged 'spying' activities.
If you have to wait 20 years I wouldn't be surprised, there have been several cases over the years where the inner details weren't declassified for extended periods of time. Though because of the incredible level of sevarity of this incident and the very high level of public interest I doubt they'd ever be able to get away with keeping it classified for even 5 years let alone 20+.
Under the circumstances I described I also stated that all infomation about a case is given over in a court of law, this includes but isn't limited to physical evidence, witness reports, coronor reports, reports from investigating and on scene officers and emergency reponse officials, and the manner in which all information was collected. Thus the government must give everything they've got over which makes it very difficult for them to set up a "fall guy" or frame someone or something they didn't do. Once a case hits court classified goes right out the window. The falsifying situations that you indicate to haven't happened since the time when FBI Director Hoover was in charge and when it came to light what the FBI was doing or at least trying to do they were placed under very tight operating regulations which includes a public conduct review board. But this is for regular cases dealing with much smaller scale crimes. In the situation we're in now I really doubt we'll ever see Bin Laden in court because he'll most likely die in the attacks first or some over eager soldier will cap him when they get him. On a side note I also heard, though I certainly can not prove in any way, that Osama has some kind of order with his aids that he isn't to be taken captive but martyred instead.
Actually, I never said I proved he was not guilty. I simply ESTABLISHED, that he was not guilty. I made an assumption about it, but it was well-based assumption.
Granted it is an fair assumption and it is true in pure technicality that he technically isn't guilty. But thats because he hasn't been dragged into a court room, and as I've stated its most likely that he never will be. However given that the rest of the world is in agreement and that even countries that have seen the released evidence that aren't fond of the US (eg. Iran and China,) are ageeing with it, it leads me to believe that there is sufficient evidence to prove he is guilty. Granted this is just on faith of the rest of the world, but theres an awful lot of agreement going on between groups that normally don't like each other much.
Punishement is usually morally or at least, legally justified. The U.S. has no legal right or power over Afghanistan. Doesn't matter that Bin Laden is there.
In a situation of law this is true, however the US isn't treating this as a situation of law, they're treating it as a situation of war which changes it dramatically. Whether its right or not is up to the diplomats and the opinionated to decide, but as I said before, its their only option at the moment.
Does Al Jarrezza really need quite as much as propaganda as CNN does? Technically, remember that international law is on Afghanistan's side. Also, remember that it's the U.S. that hit Afghanistan first, not the other way around.
Technically no news station needs propaganda. CNN doesn't need it at all as the vast majority of Americans are fully supporting the situation and have already stated in many polls that they are willing to accept several casualties. A-J doesn't need it either as tht majority of Arabs in the situation already hate america regardless of what they say. The only propaganda either of them broadcast anyways are the statements being released by either side. CNN broadcast US government statements and press confrences while A-J broadcasts all the Taliban and Al Quada statements and confrences. Journalists on both sides are only presenting the news, not making it up as they go.
According to international law means that an international tribunal would have to make a decision on the attacks legality, given the state of action by the international community I'd say that the decision has pretty much been made.
As for the US hitting first. Well, the Taliban have had various terrorist groups as guests in their country for many years including Bin Laden, the US has tried for at least the last 5 to get him extradited which has been refused at each meeting. Thus the Taliban are aiding and supporting the terrorist groups and certainly Bin Laden which technically means that the Afgan government is involved and thus they struck first.
I've heard interviews with former FBI, and CIA heads, and you know what? Strangely they presented more opinion then facts.
Of course they gave opinion, they have nothing else to give, hence the word former in your sentence. They aren't in the loop anymore and won't have facts to give. I've seen several of those interviews as well and what they're being asked for is their opinion, not to give a lecture. All the other experts are also only giving their opinions as well.
Yes, I do think people in universities know more and are more objective then the people who work for the government agencies, because let's face it. Unless you're really loyal to the government you're not gonna make it into something like the FBI and CIA. And yes, I know there are some reviews with experts on this matter. It's just that it pales in comparison to the interviews with government officials.
Its been proven in studies and stated by many agencies that university courses on advanced sciences are usually about 2 years behind the times in most places other then major developments in their fields, I'll find the articles about it that I've read if I can. This is why officers in the field are always going back to workshops and spending so much time in class rooms. almost 30% of policing is spent in constant study and learning so they're always up to date. University professors on the other hand are not required to be constantly learning as their job is to teach what they've already learned and since they don't get paid to go to workshops and advance themselves most rarely do unless they're very interested in whats being featured. Hence university professors are typically out of date.
This is why your seeing so many more government officials then other experts, because its known that the government people are going to be right up with the situation as its happening, and others are not.
Now, I admit, I'm not nearly as objective as I probably should be, but then again, I'm also human.
This can be said for any of us I would think. ;)
Well, for one thing, on CNN I have seen basically, one general viewpoint. I see nothing regarding whether or not the U.S. should or shouldn't be attacking.
Actually this was spoken about in the first 2 weeks after the attack and the jist they got from both the public and the government is that yes, they should launch a counter offensive. Since that was taken care of for the time they moved on to other stuff regarding the situation.
Really? And if they torture you in mental and physical ways, and you report it to the court, who's gonna believe you? Can you prove it?
Physical torture is actually fairly easy to prove because it always leaves marks, scars, and damaged tissues which a doctor will find in investigation. The courts have to believe you as does the complaint brureu for any of those agencies. Even the RCMP up here have a conduct review board that is completely operated by civilians and various medical professionals that investigated EVERY case and complaint of any form of mistreatment even something as minor as say calling someone an a**h*** when your putting the cuffs on him or putting him in the drunk tank to things as major as a recent case where a prisnor was shot and killed by an officer while being put into a cell. The dead mans family tried to have it proved that the guy killed by a cop in a fit of rage and the cop said it was self defense because the guy went after his service pistol. The FBI and other major law enforcement agencies in the US also have these boards, though I'm not sure on the CIA since they are an internationally operating group.
Mental torture is also detectable as there are always flags that good phycologists will find and report.
point to the Lee Wen Ho's case, and the police shootings of the past as an example of how all law-enforcement agencies can grossly abuse their power.
What was the Lee Wen Ho case, I'm not familiar with it.
As for police shootings, well thats why they carry guns, so when they're attacked they can defend themselves. Besides that, cops do go bad sometimes, they're only human and its not fair to blame an entire orginization for the acts of a few dire individuals. Hence why the US isn't trying to wipe out all Arabs or all Muslims in the situation they're in now.
Really? Have you been to Russia?
Actually yes I have, I am half Russian after all.
Do YOU know what the KGB is really like? I've already shown you how the FBI can frame people and get away it. Oh sure, there's always a system for checks and balances for everything on paper, but in reality, it's extremely easy for law-enforcers to get around the law regrading, shall we say, shady actions.
Yes to that as well, my great-grandfather worked for the KGB before he and my great-grandmother defected and escaped to Canada. He told me a few stories before he died about just how brutal the KGB was. Speaking of which the KGB no longer exists anyways. They're now called the ISB or Internal Security Brureu. They're much more mellowed out, kinda like old hippies after the woodstock days, mostly cause they're dead broke.
Its not as nearly as easy to frame someone as you describe because those checks and balances on paper do work in action as well. There are alot of people who make sure of it. Under other forms of government where there is no public or civilian observation and investigation commitees allowed its easy, but in the US and Canada the system is too open for it now. Hence why some officers complain the law is to easy going and victims complain that the law is made to protect the perps instead of the victims and their families.
You still haven't answered my question. And as long as there's the potential for what I and many people say could happen, then we should be worried.
Well theres also a potential that aliens could could invade us, a massive earthquake could hit and crumble the continents, and that a nuclear war could break out any second. The simple fact is though that I'm not going to give myself an ulcer and become all paranoid over what could be when what could be, could be anything and in this case the odds are stacked against it.
Honestly though the US would have to literally wipe out at least half its population in order to achieve and maintain a totalitarianism government. They might be crap heads, but they aren't butchers.
I apologize thus far for expressing any personal opinions, but so far, I've tried to be as logical in my reasoning of the statements making as I possibly can.
No appology is needed, your reasoning is logical from a certain perspective, its just not one that I find feasable in the current state of continental affairs.
This is a perfect opportunity to advance U.S. interests
True, but there are hundreds of those every day that don't make to US look as nasty either, besides, I don't think theres much interest in Afghanastan besides booting the Taliban and getting Bin Laden and his goons. Theres just nothing there anymore besides caves, dust, and mud. Besides that the surrounding Arab community has already said that it won't allow a US "occupation" of the area after the situation has been sufficiently resolved. As beefy as the US is, it doesn't want to make that many enemies all at once when at the moment they're being pretty nice about things for the most part.
Everything I stated is POSSIBLE to the best of my knowledge. Should you come up with facts that contradict my statements, I would be more then happy to change my current views.
As I pointed out above, there are many many possibilities out there, an infinate number to be exact, so its impossible to contradict a possibility though there are some that are just highly improbable, which I believe those you stated other then B are. With B, you know that hardliners are going to try because they always do, its practically a tradition for them.
I'll admit, I was a bit opinionated, but being human, aren't we all?
Well, technically I consider myself closer to feline then human, humans are such nasty things at times. Its just genetics and that pesky doctor I have convincing me otherwise. :p
But yes, we are all opinionated about something, its part of being . . . unique.

Tomb said:
Since bin Laden, and Al Qaida, are currently among the leaders of the Taliban, and the Taliban consider themselves to be the current rulers of Afghanistan,
Well actually Bin Laden and his goons are esteemed guests and supporters of the Taliban, not members of it.
Kinda like the NRA isn't part of the US government, but we all know they sponsor it and have significant influence.

Gizmo said:
US: Well, Ariel, we`d really quite like you to stop murdering people.
Israel: Youve never had a problem with it before.
US: Yeah, but now its really threatening to rock the boat and destroy the entire world.
Israel: *thinks for a second* No I dont want to, I was elected on a mandate of murdering people so Im going to murder them. Its what my public wants.
US: Potentially we might get cross.
Israel: Kiss my Mooo.
US: *puckers up*
The one reason the US can't force them to stop is because the US and Israel are basically doing the same thing at the moment.
Israel withdrew, got attacked, went back in.
US got attacked, they went in.
If the US were to order Israel out and try and force it they'd just make themselves look like huge hypocrits to the rest of the world that thinks they aren't, which they don't want.

Spiderman said:
Putting aside the colorful descriptive choice of words, can you break down for me how many cease-fires there have been or agreed to between Israel and Palestine, and why they did not stick?
I can probably think of a dozen cease-fires that haven't stuck. They're always broken because either the Palestinians send in a suicide bomber who blows something up, or the Israeli police shoot some Palestinians. Sometimes both happen in the same day hence proving that neither side is serious about the peace process and is just going through with to make themselves look the desparate victim. Maybe we should be sending their government officials oscars. :p

Duke said:
Actually I pointed it out at the begining of my first post to this thread featuring he exchange between yourself and Rando.

By Arabia? Oh, it was asked to take out its troops for some time now.
Was it by the Saudi Arabian government though, I wasn't aware of any other countries that have US forces bases in them. If it was the Saudi its a major change in policy on their part because as I said before with the US there it keeps Saddam Hussein out of their hair and gives the extremists something bigger to hate other then the repressive Saudi royal government, hence the Saudi's win twice over.
Osama Bin Landen warning them to leave would be like me walking up to the Prime Minister of Canada and saying to force out all the Japanese people or something like that. What I think means jack squat cause I'm just another civie with an opinion. It certainly doesn't give me any right to go and blow up the Tokyo Tower.
So no one thinks I'm a Japanese hating racist I happen to love Japanese people, probably more then any other culture on earth. I was just citing them as an example.

Funny how suddenly the U.S. is asking them to cease-fire, don't you think?
Its not really sudden. Bill Clinton had that as a major objective for his administration, and while not successful they did make some significant headway. Hell, he was able to get Arafat and the Israeli PM at the time into the same room talking without shooting at each other. That was something that Clinton at least worked very diligently on until his last days in office.

Furthermore, I personally, along with millions of Muslims around the world, think they should have not supported them in the first place...
While this much may be true, Israel would have been annihilated in they hadn't so its a difficult desision to have and is only dictated from your own point of view.

It's all retaliations. Just like the United States retaliation is justified as a hit-back for its losses on 9/11, you all must look at the 9/11 case as a hit-back for the losses of the past that the Arabian worlds have lost...
Yes its all retaliations, but where do they end, the Arab governments and extremists seem quite happy going to war these days and massacring thousands of civilians for doing nothing but living where they live and the US government is quite happy to pummle into the dirt anyone that flarks with it. It all goes back 4000 years to the first little caucasian guy and the first little arab guy who stuck their pointy sticks in each others bellies and got two races into a battle thats lasted their entire existence in recorded time.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I can probably think of a dozen cease-fires that haven't stuck. They're always broken because either the Palestinians send in a suicide bomber who blows something up, or the Israeli police shoot some Palestinians. Sometimes both happen in the same day hence proving that neither side is serious about the peace process and is just going through with to make themselves look the desparate victim. Maybe we should be sending their government officials oscars
I can think of a couple of cease-fires that haven't stuck (at least one in the past month) but I was trying to get "objective" information about how and when cease-fires were and WHY they were broken and who broke them. There are people here who are obviously of the opinion that Israel is the aggessor and that isn't my perception at all, so I was hoping someone else could come in and help clear things up (for me, anyway).

G

Gizmo

The ceasefires are broken when a single Arab man fires a single bullet or throws a single stone. At which point Israeli gunships and tanks roll right back in. If Israel wanted peace they would not be so eager to react with aggression.

Israel responds to attacks by INDIVIDUALS with a relatiatory strike on a whole populace, using overwhelming firepower. And once the ceasefire is broken they immediately go back onto the offensive with their policy of assasination.

Ariel Sharon agrees to ceasfires purely because he KNOWS that they are meaningless, and that Yasser Arafat can not assure that there will not be a minor skirmish between Arab extremists and an Israeli military who are looking for any provocation to resume its occupation. If you are choosing to see Israel as anything other than the aggressor then you are falling into a blind moral trap of seeing whoever struck first as being the aggressor - the blow that started this war was struck fifty-four years ago.
It sounds sensible but in this case that definition of 'aggressor' is meaningless.

Count the dead. That will tell you who the aggressor is.

As the longest-serving member of the House Of Commons said, a few weeks back - "the attack on the WTC killed 5,000 people. I consider that a great crime. The US and the UK kill 5,000 Iraqis EVERY MONTH by enforcing an unjust embargo - I consider that a greater crime."

The Israeli state declares ceasefires knowing that they will not hold - they can agree a thousand ceasefires, or a thousand thousand, and they would be equally meaningless when the response of the government to a single incident of unrest in the Arab territories is to declare that ceasefire void and to resume military operations.
Ariel Sharon was elected to kill Arabs, by people who wanted see Arabs killed. I truly consider the state of Israel the most morally repugnant country in the world, simply because it`s violence is matched only by it`s hypocrisy - other states might do worse things (and even that is not certain), but they dont pretend to be a civilised nation dedicated to peaceful coexistence while they do so.

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Could someone humor me by at least responding to my single, serious contribution to this subject? My posts weren't moved here by accident.
If you are only ignoring my poem because it is somewhat unclear (I admit that I made some poor word choices), say so, please.

C

Chaos Turtle

I didn't realize you were being serious. (Croaks?) Your poem represents an appropriate sentiment, that (I think this is what you meant) a misunderstanding based upon how certain ideas are expressed rather then what ideas are expressed has brought such misery in our time, but I disagree with the end assessment that we are as a species imminently doomed.

G

Gizmo

I prolly should have said this a while ago, but I wanted to reread it myself in the light of current events. If you can, get a hold of this novel - Cobweb, by Stephen Bury (a pen name for acclaimed SF novelist Neal Stephenson). This, more like his superb novel, Cryptonomicon than the futuristic The Diamond Age, is an exhaustively-researched and plausible contemporary story, what is key is the topic of the story...

Set during the Gulf War of 1990, it deals with the possibility of Arab states setting up research and production facilities for chemical and biological weapons within the continental united states - in this case Saddam Hussein and Botulin Toxin. While in and of itself a very good thriller, it's also hauntingly reminiscent of recent events. It comes recommended on both counts.

Im not sure how hard it will be to find (the distribution of books is a continental thing, so it could either be mainstream or unbelievably obscure in the US, I dont know) but if you can get a hold of it, do so.

D

DÛke

I really don't have time to reply to everything, so sorry Spiderman; Ura. I'm not ignoring, just not having time.

Anyway, one thing that jumped right at me, Ura saying that bin Ladin's request are, well, pointless. They're not. Look what happened. If he was behind the whole deal, than he's one of the greatest masterminds that ever lived, simply for being able to completely pentrate and take-down THE most powerful country on Earth. I don't think his requests are pointless; more even, I don't think at all that his threats should be ignored at all. He's a very serious man, and every word he speaks should be taken to full consideration.

Further more, I have some relatives in Arabia, and they are citizens. We keep in touch very often, and they've complained, and they say the citizens have complained. To be honest, I have no clue if the government itself has complained or not, but I'm 307% sure that the people of Arabia, at least, are unhappy with the U.S. being there.

Personally, I don't think this should be called terrorism at all. You were not terrorized. From what it seems like, it was a decleration of war, a call saying: "hey, we're still alive, and we're gonna get you back for all that you've done to us..." (quoting Gizmo: As the longest-serving member of the House Of Commons said, a few weeks back - "the attack on the WTC killed 5,000 people. I consider that a great crime. The US and the UK kill 5,000 Iraqis EVERY MONTH by enforcing an unjust embargo - I consider that a greater crime." It's not terrorism at all people, it's a war that just started, and like you all said, each war has casualities. The 5000+ that died in the U.S. incident are nothing more than just casualities, like all other casualities in history. They're no-one special. The "terrorism" (AKA war) that was declared on the U.S. destroyed a glorious momentum of the U.S., and brought down casualities (which is common, is casualities are a common trend in wars); the U.S. bombings for 4 weeks hasn't really done much, if so, I'm sure they'd be glad to report it to the CNN as a "big even." They've brought down casualities (innocent people, and most likely Taliban soliders), but that's it. They have not gotten any closer to their goal: bin Ladin. In fact, I heard, yesterday on the news, that they don't really know where he is. He's not dead, that's for sure, because he recorded another tape, which was send to Aljazeera, and then redirected to the CNN. So what have the bombings done -- if bin Ladin can as much as record a TAPE in DAYLIGHT and send it!? At least his side of the war brought down major economic figures in the U.S. All in all, I think the U.S. should bomb, and I'll accept casualities as a thing of the war, but at least, let's hope the main goal is accomplished after all these casualities...otherwise, it will become "killing" without a cause. It will also tell me that, either the U.S. does not know how to plan an attack, or bin Ladin is one of the smartest people in history.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Gizmo: Again, I'd like to see some facts backing up your statement that every(?) cease-fire has been broken by a single man shooting or whatever. And I would also like to see some facts backing up
As the longest-serving member of the House Of Commons said, a few weeks back - "the attack on the WTC killed 5,000 people. I consider that a great crime. The US and the UK kill 5,000 Iraqis EVERY MONTH by enforcing an unjust embargo - I consider that a greater crime."
as that's a pretty bold statement.

And since when has the number of casualties equal to who's the aggressor?

Originally posted by DÛke

I really don't have time to reply to everything, so sorry Spiderman; Ura. I'm not ignoring, just not having time.
Thank you. THAT I appreciate :)

Anyway, one thing that jumped right at me, Ura saying that bin Ladin's request are, well, pointless. They're not. Look what happened. If he was behind the whole deal, than he's one of the greatest masterminds that ever lived, simply for being able to completely pentrate and take-down THE most powerful country on Earth. I don't think his requests are pointless; more even, I don't think at all that his threats should be ignored at all. He's a very serious man, and every word he speaks should be taken to full consideration.
I disagree that you think his requests are meaningful. In that case, Bill Gates should be able to dictate policy to the US government, due to his wealth and his undoubtable resources, should he choose to marshal that wealth. I agree he is a great mastermind, for evading capture (whether on his own or missteps by the US government) and his threats should not be ignored. But considering that most regular Muslims who actually study the Koran recognize that his interpretation is not really a valid one, I feel his demands are just a voice. A fanatic one, and one that can actually follow through with threats, but not one that the US government is obligated to follow (as opposed to a request from the Saudi government to leave).

Further more, I have some relatives in Arabia, and they are citizens. We keep in touch very often, and they've complained, and they say the citizens have complained. To be honest, I have no clue if the government itself has complained or not, but I'm 307% sure that the people of Arabia, at least, are unhappy with the U.S. being there.
So what I'm hearing is that you don't know for sure that an official request has been made for the US to leave and it just ignored it at its peril, but that some citizens of Saudi Arabia are unhappy about it (I'm not going to even go with your "307%" :) )

Personally, I don't think this should be called terrorism at all. You were not terrorized. From what it seems like, it was a decleration of war, a call saying: "hey, we're still alive, and we're gonna get you back for all that you've done to us..." (quoting Gizmo: As the longest-serving member of the House Of Commons said, a few weeks back - "the attack on the WTC killed 5,000 people. I consider that a great crime. The US and the UK kill 5,000 Iraqis EVERY MONTH by enforcing an unjust embargo - I consider that a greater crime." It's not terrorism at all people, it's a war that just started, and like you all said, each war has casualities. The 5000+ that died in the U.S. incident are nothing more than just casualities, like all other casualities in history. They're no-one special. The "terrorism" (AKA war) that was declared on the U.S. destroyed a glorious momentum of the U.S., and brought down casualities (which is common, is casualities are a common trend in wars); the U.S. bombings for 4 weeks hasn't really done much, if so, I'm sure they'd be glad to report it to the CNN as a "big even." They've brought down casualities (innocent people, and most likely Taliban soliders), but that's it. They have not gotten any closer to their goal: bin Ladin. In fact, I heard, yesterday on the news, that they don't really know where he is. He's not dead, that's for sure, because he recorded another tape, which was send to Aljazeera, and then redirected to the CNN. So what have the bombings done -- if bin Ladin can as much as record a TAPE in DAYLIGHT and send it!? At least his side of the war brought down major economic figures in the U.S. All in all, I think the U.S. should bomb, and I'll accept casualities as a thing of the war, but at least, let's hope the main goal is accomplished after all these casualities...otherwise, it will become "killing" without a cause. It will also tell me that, either the U.S. does not know how to plan an attack, or bin Ladin is one of the smartest people in history.
A war on what? I didn't know we were at war with "Islam"; the Iraqi stuff is just a "war" with them (which I'm sure Iran, another Muslim nation, is happy with, at the very least).

War is when both sides know they're fighting each other. Terrorism is when ONE side is fighting against the other, unknowing side.

I'm thinking the US should stop bombing, as it appears it isn't furthering its goal towards getting bin Laden and only stirring up other Muslims who are rushing to help defend it. It's already starting to look like Vietnam: military goals are held in check by political ones. If we wanted to get rid of the Taliban, we should have bombed the front lines immediately to help the Northern Alliance advance, not wait until some post-Taliban government could be decided on. If we wanted a post-Taliban government, we should have waited on the bombing and just supplied and trained the North Alliance so they could fight better. As it is, it's a mix-mash of things, with neither goal being achieved.

I know Bush is saying wait, this is a long drawn-out affair, but I think part of it is his own doing. Either go in and get bin Laden or topple the Taliban, but not weak efforts to do both (well, probably in the beginning they were hoping to get bin Laden immediately, but that didn't work).

Z

Zadok001

DUke - I feel like I should point out a key difference between an act of terrorism and an act of war. When an act of war occurs, by most (if not all) standards, the aggressing country is recognizable. Germany invading France, the assassination that started WWI, the bombing of Pearl Harbor, etc... All these things have a recognizable foe, who proceeds to "officially" declare a state of war.

Terrorism, on the other hand, has an implied goal of anominity. That's the key difference here. While what happened certainly can be interpretted as an act of war, that is very different from a declaration of war. The declaration came from us. They struck first, but we were the ones to call for war.

Now, most of this is incosequential for the purposes of this discussion, so I'm not trying to start a new line of thought or anything. Merely pointing out the minor difference between the two ideas.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I replied on topic way in the beginning...

Zadok: Actually, you could probably consider Duke Ferdinand's assassination as a terrorist act.

Maybe acts of war are considered to be made by countries or states of government? Hence, while the US was not at war with Japan, since the country was behind Pearl Harbor, it can be considered an act of war?

Interesting... is an act by an organization considered a terrorist act? Hence, the US is "at war" with bin Laden's group, yet they aren't semantically at "war" with the US? But the Taliban is, because it's a sovereign state? Hmm...

T

Thallid Ice Cream Man

Thank you, Chaos Turtle, for responding and making it clear to me that my point did not get across. (The poem obviously didn't work.)

I will now restate what I was trying to say with the poem in a nutshell:

I feel strongly that piddling little arguments about how people say what they say and rationale and whatnot are meaningless in the big scheme of things, and come down to little more than a physically nonviolent substitute for fistfights. The stronger wins, and in most arguments it's the one who is stronger at debate - the one who can more clearly state an opinion or find more factoids to back it up, or is more eloquent in squabbles. This sad condition applies not just to this argument, but to any argument of the "political" type that we see here, and most others among scholars, with a huge minimum length (not literally, but you get the point) for each post and quotes being flung excessively everywhere. The question of who can talk the best truly, secretly has - and should have - no connection to the question of which side - if any - is right. (In this case, I couldn't even tell you which applies.)
In most other big arguments here people eventually shut up and agreed to disagree. After that debate about free will vs. destiny a few months ago I finally realized that ignoring these arguments completely (or at least not getting worked up) is what works best for me. I surely can't say the same for the rest of you, though (that it works for you, that is)...
This feeling that the "educated" form of debate is little more than name calling and a forum for domination by people who get up early to practice in front of mirrors (slight sarcasm there) is what I was trying to convey. The stuff in lines 2 and 7-8 is intended to say that if we spend our lives worrying about this stuff, we'll get nowhere.

I apologize for the ambiguity. And if anyone wants to flame me, feel free to. I wish to follow my example by not holding up my argument in debate at all, so anything other than a statement of assent/dissent will probably fall on a deaf ear. Sorry.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Are you basically saying that each side has its own mind made up and nothing's going to change that?

To arguments where there is no "proof" available, I agree, like the destiny vs. free will argument. To some aspects of THIS thread though, people seem to be basing their arguments on perceived false information (such as assertions that 5,000 Iraqis are dying each day or that the US was told to leave Saudi Arabia in an official capacity). So if you want to argue those assertions, you have to find out if they are truly CORRECT statements or someone is pulling it out of their rear end. If they're correct, then it's hard to argue against. If they're not... then either those making such statements have to adjust their argument (if they want to follow through intelligently) or retreat with their minds still made up, in case we go back to "agree to disagree".