Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, that's just silly. Smurfs are delicious. If I had a tribe of them, they'd all have been eaten by now...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul said:
It would have been the case if those sets were designed now, but I'm not sure they were planning that far ahead back then. I seem to remember that they increased how far ahead they were designing cards at some point...
I think that WAS when they started planning that far ahead...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, here was my thinking:

It was a tourney card in that it comboed well with certain other cards. However, on its own, having Saprolings are pretty casual ala Thallids and fading. And faced with the other nominees, it was the strongest; the others were narrow in application and while most were indeed casual, none were worthy of Hall of Fame status.

And like I said in the Hall of Fame thread, none of us were very happy with the nominees anyway. But Burst was the best choice out of all of them.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Exactly what Spidey said. Saproling Burst was a great tourney card, but only if you combined it with Fires of Yavimaya or Pandemonium and the like. By itself, it was a pretty fun card. I was kind suprirsed that Shrieking Mogg wasn't nominated. That woud've been a vote from me.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Tag Guard

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Actually, the nominations have been done only by a few people, so the choices are limited.
Also, I don't really think I understand what criteria is being applied to the choices. The first few choices didn't seem to be ever played in a tournament deck, but lately it seems that is not the case..........

I'll still nominate, but am resigned not to having one chossen.....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, which may mean that makes this whole exercise kinda pointless.

I think we're getting into expansions where people knew more about Magic and how to "abuse" cards, etc., so right now, good cards in casual play have also seen play in tourneys.

D

DarthFerret

Perhaps it would. I guess one of my main problems is that I have not seen the tourney scene for so long, and have been stuck playin just a couple of people, so I don't know these killer combos, or what has been in tourney. I just go based on what I feel about the card itself.

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, if there's "guidelines" on what makes a casual card, then there's really no need for a committee.

Everyone has their own idea of what casual means, so when the three members of the committee meet, it's how those three ideas mesh to get one card. And of course that's taken from who people nominate what they think is a casual card.

Unless you're talking about that, what kinds of cards people should be nominating in the first place. Which again all goes back to being subjective anyway...

Killer Joe

I think every "committee" has done an awesome job for each set and the results HAVE varied due to who's ON the committee. When I was a member I had my own criteria but listened (read) the opinions of the other two at the time of chossing a card and/or ranking the cards as was the case during my tenure.

That's what makes the whole process work and unique! Technically, no chosen card could be totally wrong. As long as the chosen cards are justified by a committee member as was the case here. Unfortunately when I was a member I didn't always defend our choices, my bad :(

As for criteria, well, since everyone is different then all of the criteria would be different. Perhaps a "template" is needed, a sort of "Casual Prisim" if you will.

What actually MAKES a card casual? To me, a casual card is a card that hasn't been in a significant number of decks in PTQ's like Wrath of God, Kokusho the Evening Star, Counterspell, Eternal Witness, Wildfire, etc...

I also consider the impact a card has in any given game I've seen it in. The lower the impact the better, imo.

Perhaps Nominated committee members should post a quick blurb about what kind of "Casual Prisim" they use when considering what makes a card casual? You know, a "Stump Speech" kind of thing. I've stated mine so do you still want to vote for me? Maybe you agree with my kind of idea for casual cards, maybe you don't.

Maybe a "Sticky" can be made and folks can go there before voting for a member.

Saproling Burst is okay and I whole-heartedly accept it to the CCHOF! :D

Thanks guys for putting time into this whole process, sometimes it's a pain in the butt but we all do appreciate it.

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the comming of the Lord..."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
What actually MAKES a card casual? To me, a casual card is a card that hasn't been in a significant number of decks in PTQ's like Wrath of God, Kokusho the Evening Star, Counterspell, Eternal Witness, Wildfire, etc...
I've never been to a PTQ. Do you have to be a tournament player to know what counts as a casual card?

Tag Guard

Killer Joe

No, no, no, ~I~ am the ignorant savage!

Maybe I mispoke my point: My point is that you have a unique idea as to what a casual card is, I have a unique idea as to what a casual card is, Spiderman has a unique idea as to what a casual card is, TomB has a unique idea as to what a casual card is, Mooseman has a unique idea as to what a casual card is, John "Friggin" Rizzo has a unique idea as to what a casual card is, and I am certain Lenny Bruce would have a unique idea as to what a casual card is, etc,.....

These unique ideas are what makes the choosing of the CCHOF interesting! :)

As for icky PTQ's well, no one ever has to enter one or judge one to know what a casual card is, really! :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
Maybe I mispoke my point: My point is that you have a unique idea as to what a casual card is, I have a unique idea as to what a casual card is, Spiderman has a unique idea as to what a casual card is, TomB has a unique idea as to what a casual card is, Mooseman has a unique idea as to what a casual card is, John "Friggin" Rizzo has a unique idea as to what a casual card is, and I am certain Lenny Bruce would have a unique idea as to what a casual card is, etc,.....
I get that. My point, though, is that if you use something like "hasn't had a significant presence in PTQ's" as a qualifier, it would be easy to dismiss someone else's nomination based on that person's PTQ ignorance. I know that's what I would do, but that probably says a lot more about me than it does about you...

Tag Guard

Killer Joe

Not sure what you're trying to say, are you saying that I am implying someone is ignorant or is ignorant if they're not familiar with PTQ's?

Allow me to re-state my "qualifier"

TO ME: a casual card is casual if I think it's casual. There, simple yet to the point. :cool: