Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't want to "clutter" up the Hall of Fame thread with discussions, so you can discuss your reactions to the winners of the Hall of Fame here.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
It was a good choice. For obvious reasons, I initially (okay, so I had them mixed up until I saw a picture of Two-Headed Giant of Foriys just two days ago while playing Shandalar) got him mixed up with Frost Giant. But he's better than Frost Giant.

B

BigBlue

I just wish that Raging River had been worded closer to it's Oracle wording... As the first True Multiplayer card I would have had a much stronger case...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Bottle of Suleiman is a good choice for the Hall of Fame. I personally don't play with many coin-flipping cards, but the unpredictability factor is very casual. Big risks mean big rewards. Good choice.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

While I didn't play around the time of Arabian Nights... I did get an early Bottle from Revised and used to play with it... back in the day when you had lot's of colors because you only owned 100 or so cards, an artifact 5/5 flier was just tough... sure it sometimes burns, but it's a risk you had to take... the early beats was cool... but not as silly as say Mana Clash in terms of coin flipping... I also liked the Red dude who had coin flips... I wonder if you could make a viable coin flip deck?

On to Antiquities?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The good thing about Bottle is that the gain outweighs the risk. 5 damage sucks, but it's not something you can't recover from. A 5/5 flyer, on the other hand, will make quick work of your opponent.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I was usually the one packing Unsummons, but yeah, people who used Bottle of Suleiman a lot hated me...

B

BigBlue

The other card I grew to hate was Maze of Ith with my Serendib Efreet... nothing like paying a life every upkeep for naught... :D It'd be cool to do a "staples" list sometime... cards which are so useful they make almost every deck of their color... like Disenchant or Swords.... Not casual, but invaluable...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
They can still be casual...

But yeah, the one I remember REALLY annoying people was bouncing Phyrexian Scuta after the kicker had been paid.

B

BigBlue

I always knew that the Atog had it in him.... along with my sol ring, feldon's cane, or whatever else was left unattended... :D

Now to start thinking about Legends... A HUGE set... (and for the record, I am not planning on posting all the links unless I find an easier way to get a sortable cardlist... I had to hand massage my antiquities one... but it didn't have so many cards...) If someone cares to send me a list sorted by color, I will supply the links post. Also, I'll PM it to Spidey so he can post it when he wants to start it since I sorta jumped the gun on Antiquities...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Spidey needs to get on the ball and update the initial post of the Hall of Fame. :D

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

I am not real happy with the pick this time, although, it is hard to please me. Especially when the pick is a card that is reprinted in other sets. However, the atog was a good card when if first came out...(after all, who wanted to sac. a forcefield or an icy manipulator to the atog?). With all the artifacts now-a-days, not quite as hard to build a power-house deck around him.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oops, thanks Ransac

I kinda agree DarthFerret - I think the Atog was more casual when just those sets were around as opposed to now, when there's tons of artifacts. But there were only four nominations and of those, only it and Shapeshifter were really in serious consideration.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'd like to point out (I think someone else did in another thread) that is appears that artifacts and Red cards are the brunt of our nominations and winners. Perhaps this is a topic worth analyzing. Do artifacts and Red cards appeal more to the casual gamer than other colors? If so/not, why?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I would narrow it down to "Do artifacts and red cards appeal to the particular users of this site who are nominating cards?" After all, red is the primary coin-flipping color...

B

BigBlue

Well.... as much as I love Blue.... Are there really many "casual" blue cards? they are usually either powerful/useful or folded up and used to hold that one short table leg up... :D

I am planning on nominating Zur's Weirding and Bazaar of Wonders when they come around....

I think a lot of Black is similar - though I would say Lord of the Pit is a casual card... when you only pick one card per set - and we're only 3 sets into it... it isn't really a "random" sample...