Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we talked about it for a while, but in the end the winner for Odyssey was Innocent Blood. Both Braids and the Squirrel Nest had some strong consideration though, and either one would have made an acceptable choice. But in the end Innocent Blood was the winner! :D

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I may be a bit biased against it, but can I get a rationale as to why Innocent Blood is casual?

Ransac, cpa trash man

Killer Joe

To me: I considered the "effect" it has on the "casual - multiplayer" environment, that's not to say that duels aren't considered "casual" but for me "casual" conjures up a group of sweaty guys sitting around a kitchen table in somebody's Mom's basement playing mulyiplayer Magic where creatures are abound and one silly little 1cc card makes everybody dump a creature, even Timmy Power Gamer who's locked up the game with his single creature Platnium Angel in front of him has to bow to it. And why is that "casual"? It just is, to me.

The others had their own reasons.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my reasons pretty much mirror KJ's...By being what I would think would be a staple in black multiplayer decks it's both casual and good, which to me defines what a CCHOF card should be - casual AND good.

You guys don't agree? :confused:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's okay - I mean, I probably wouldn't have chosen it but I'm not on the committee right now, so it doesn't matter :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I'm cool with the pick, since I made it as big as possible on the nominating thread.... :D

I would have disagreed on the Braids.... cripes, even the "pro" players couldn't play it right, how the heck would the "casual" player have handled the, "Hey you didn't sac to my braids last turn" situation. Believe me it happened all the time when that deck was big at the Grand Prix. I gave out more game losses to both players for that card.

Killer Joe

Spiderman said:
I think it's okay - I mean, I probably wouldn't have chosen it but I'm not on the committee right now, so it doesn't matter :)
that's the "beauty" of the rotating committee, three points of view and no two committee's are the really the same. :)

man, who was the genius that thought up of this?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I agree with Spidey in that it would not have been my first choice. HOWEVER, I agree with KJ that that's what makes this rotation great. The selections in the HOF represent a wide range of views as to what "casual" means.

I don't like the selection (a bit too main-stream and tourney-favored for me), but I won't argue the selection.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Melkor

You always walk the edge of a knife with Spiderman, too little praise and we don't get his good ideas and effort, too much and he begins to forget that with great power, comes great responsibility.

Actually, I initially championed Braids, because I felt that the effect was powerful but not overly so, and increased player decision making. But I didn't really have a strong attachment to any of the cards, and some I was against. So basically the fact that it was a classic sort of multi-player card (cheap to cast, but big effect when multiplied over multiple players) carried the day.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spidey is already having trouble getting his big head through the neck of his long-johns.... don't inflate his ego any more...... :D

Melkor: Boo to the braids...... hehe, Ok to the Blood.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
The Torment card has been declared to be Radiate...Our reasoning was best summed up by Melkor: "You can use it as an Armageddon, an Earthquake, a Prosperity, you can work off of your own spells and your opponents spells."

So Radiate is the winner! :D