Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

L

Limited

I agree that Sliver Queen is kinda casual... but it should be some kind of sign that the card is worth more than 10 bucks :(

And Slivers aren't bad perse.. in my playgroup we hardly play with Sliver decks because they are considered 'too much'.. especially with stuff like Crystalline Sliver :eek:

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wow. One of my nominations finally won! I'm glad that it was for Stronghold, which is one of my favorite sets ever.

Tag Guard

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, in hindsight, I'd probably have nominated Equilibrium. I do generally like it better than Spellbook, but I figured the council would deem it too broken...

Tag Guard

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Speaking for the Urza's Legacy vote, this came down to a difference of opinion of what exactly constitutes a "casual card" worthy of the Hall of Fame name. Both DF and I decided that while Deranged Hermit was used in a tourney deck, it still introduced a new creature type, squirrels, that's always good for casual play. turgy22 favored either Pyromancy or Defense of the Heart; the former I thought wasn't all that worthy of a Hall of Fame while the latter, while good, didn't quite beat the Hermit.

The Amulet was also up for serious consideration between DF and I, but we decided to go with the Hermit.

L

Limited

I had the same dilemma.. I really like the Deranged Hermit, but does lose a bit of that casual feel due to tourney appearances.

I'm still glad I nominated it though :D

turgy22

Nothing Special
Just to clarify, I liked Deranged Hermit and I do NOT take tournament appearances into account when voting for cards. It was DarthFerret that said:
DarthFerret said:
I believe that a casual card's number one qualification is that most tourney players will not touch it with an oversized Chaos Orb.
I'm not trying to say DF is wrong, just that we have a difference of opinion and I found it quite odd that he voted for the Hermit despite his own #1 qualification.

I vote for cards based solely on how they are designed. The following things are what interest me in a casual card:
1) Does it do something that has never been done before?
2) Does it inspire new ideas and decks to be built around it?
3) Did it influence other casual card designs?
4) Will it have a big impact in games?
5) What is its effect on alternative formats?

There might be other things, as well, but those are the primary things that go through my mind. I don't think I have enough tournament knowledge to disqualify a card based on its use.

I didn't vote for the Hermit because I felt that introducing the creature type "squirrel" was its only redeeming casual quality. Similar to the Beeble vote, I don't find new creature types important enough to warrant a casual induction.

Tag Guard

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think Deranged Hermit is a pretty good choice for Urza's Legacy. It's massive potential for destruction is part of the appeal to me, but the things Turgy brings up matter more. I'd never have nominated Grim Monolith, for example.

Temporal Aperture, though...

Maybe it's just me. I loved this card back in the day and everyone was using it. Temporal Aperture was fun. It was a pretty big investment with a spectrum of payoffs as great as the number of decks using it. Whenever I look back on the card I think of cases like the time I was losing and used the Aperture and got my Avatar of Woe on the first try...

But that was all a long time ago. When I look at Temporal Aperture now, I see an unreliable piece of junk that only a scrub would use.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not much to say about the Urza's Destiny winner since it was unanimous and took only one PM from each of us to confirm... the best choice of the nominees by far.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So the Wumpus won? It's a good choice. I mainly used it in multiplayer decks that didn't care about the opponent's having big creatures. But it's mostly just good by itself.

Melkor

For cards in general. A lot of almost unplayable rares. Good cards and bad cards can both be casual, but they need to be fun. I didn't have a lot of fun with Masques, I felt the seemingly extreme overreaction to the power of the Rath and Urza's blocks really limited deck building. It also took the fun out of buying booster packs, because you were almost certain to get something horrible. It seemed to me like they had made the set, then decided to make almost every card worse somehow by wither adding to the mana cost, restricting you to using it once a turn, letting your opponent use it, something. I enjoy the creative aspect of deckbuilding, but with Masques it felt more like work.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It was probably more in reaction with Tempest block as MM should have already been in R&D when Urza's Block was released. Maybe some tweaking here and there but not full-scale development.

I kinda agree; I think the "rhystic" mechanic didn't endear itself to a lot of players.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman said:
It was probably more in reaction with Tempest block as MM should have already been in R&D when Urza's Block was released.
It would have been the case if those sets were designed now, but I'm not sure they were planning that far ahead back then. I seem to remember that they increased how far ahead they were designing cards at some point...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Oversoul said:
It would have been the case if those sets were designed now, but I'm not sure they were planning that far ahead back then. I seem to remember that they increased how far ahead they were designing cards at some point...

I am far too bored right now. And the Masques set didn't suck. The Masques block (sans a few cards in Nemesis) sucked.

Ransac, cpa trash man