Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

G

Gizmo

Bazaar would have been my nomination but as it's a Counterspell I felt it wouldn't be popular so didn't nominate it. Great card to build decks around, especially with Vexing Arcanix so they have the agony of incorrect guesses stopping them from ever casting spells and inevitably they beat themselves... MWAHAHAHAHA!

Killer Joe

My *twisted* reasoning for Teferi's Puzzle Box as my number one choice:

Many, many and "Oh,..." so many times I've seen this card in the hands of *newbies* who have zero to no idea on how to use it. Since it's a crap rare a lot of new players will most likely own one and put it into their decks regardless of focus or not. This card has destroyed me many times as a direct result of it being plopped down at the wrong time (both for me and it's owner). In fact, I am still waiting on a experienced player, that I know, to play Teferi's Puzzle Box, none have as of yet.

For this reason, I feel that T.P.B. must be a great card for casual players because I DO hear a lot of folks talking about it when it hits tha table but never a peep out of any tourney players :rolleyes: I've owned a few in the past and LOVE to trade it off a.s.a.p. Based on what it does to the game environment and the reaction on the face of the *newb* when they realize they have to do it, too, makes this card my #1 choice.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I used to play an amazing Puzzle Box deck, back in the day. Gotta love Megrim.

Ransac, cpa trash man

G

Gizmo

I don't know about that, TFP was played in some wierd combo thing and the modern equivalent Mindmoil was in Heartbeat decks sometimes. But yes TFP is not a serious card, but it's very popular with players and has great art. The way I see it's popularity is that if you have a rather odd deck or limited copies of key cards it's kind of like a search engine that it's ok to play. I also see it as a very 'friendly' card because everyone gets the benefit from it.

Plus combos with cards like Chains Of Mephistopheles, Underworld Dreams, Cerebral Vortex, Breathstealer's Crypt, Zur's Wierding... it has a lot of uses for creative deckbuilders.

Did I mention how pretty it was?
http://www.cardkingdom.com/images/Visions/TeferisPuzzleBox.jpg

G

Gizmo

LOL

What's not to benefit? I have 6 cards, I play the best one, I put the other 5 cards away and draw 6 cards and play the best one... it's a good thing!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So what cards were "casual" to the committee for Weatherlight? Was the decision for Bone Dancer unanimous?

Tag Guard

L

Limited

Well, there's some confusion.. I thought it was unanimous, but apparently that message didn't reach Gizmo..
The Bone Dancer was in his top three though, so I think the descission still stands.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I call shenanigans!!!!!!!!!! Spidey's fixing the vote!!!!!......

...... I mean...... good pick. I like Booby Trap here. I imagine the whole "permission" thing about the Meddling shot it down. Booby Trap is a great choice, though.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
I can't speak for the other committee members, but I liked Booby Trap because it's such a unique card and a win condition, as well. It just screams to have a deck built around it, it takes creativity to exploit, and it has a powerful effect when you get it to work. It is also the only card in Magic to have "Booby" in its name (although not in the art :() and I'm immature like that. I'm also expecting a lot more casual Booby Trap decks to show up after Time Spiral is released (Hint: Booby Trap + Mishra = PAIN).

BTW, my top 3 were Booby Trap, Humility and Ertai's Meddling, although not in that order. I liked Humility because it has a powerful, yet offbeat effect, especially in multiplayer and because it's a consistent rules problem and I have a fondness for cards that confuse players. I liked Ertai's Meddling because it introduced a different take on counterspells and possibly inspired the new Suspend mechanic.

Booby Trap was the only nominee to start out as a top choice for every committee member and after a brief discussion, we felt that it was the best choice for the set.

Tag Guard

G

Gizmo

For me of the nominations made only two cards really stood out as 'poster boys' for casual play and they were Humility and Booby Trap. While I've used Humility a lot and Booby Trap approximately 0 times I voted for the Trap because I felt that Humility ran contrary to the spirit of casual play by being quite negative (people want to make loads of interesting creatures and you make them vanilla 1/1s).

I think Booby Trap is an excellent choice for casual card, right from the minute Tempest was released it appealed to casual players in my local play area and that's not been changed by reprinting it.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Just to let everyone know, I was the lone dissenter who didn't vote for Sliver Queen. I think it's a worthy inductee and give it props for breaking the 5-color card barrier, but I cast my vote for Jinxed Ring.

Tag Guard

L

Limited

I still have an issue with how 'good' cards can be before they start to lose their casualness..

Sliver Queen (though really good) is still very casual.. if only it didn't remind me of yet another infinite combo :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think all of the nominees were good casual examples, so I don't have a problem with Sliver Queen being the winner...

Tag Guard

G

Gizmo

Sliver Queen can have an infinite combo loop, but then so can many casual cards. It's whether that combo loop is playable in tournaments or not that really defines it as casual or not, and in Sliver Queen's case the only deck it ever saw play in was 'Sliving Death' which wasn't even a very good deck. Intruder Alarm has lots of infinite combos you can make around it, for example - does that make it not a casual card? That when I put Intruder Alarm + Cloud Of Faeries + Noetic Scales + Prodigal Sorceror into a deck to make infinite damage does that make any of those cards any less 'casual'?

Sliver Queen rewards creative deckbuilding (she's 5-colour), her ability supports many sacrifice themes (a popular casual mechanic), and despite being big she's not Flying/Trample/Haste or anything that might make her an unstoppable game-ending beatstick. And she's a Sliver, which is inherently casual because 99% of Slivers suck really badly.

Melkor

I would say that Sliver Queen is the right choice. It definitely suggests a deck that is going to be casual and fun to play. A bunch of slivers and all the multi-color stuff that you couldn't put in another deck.