Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
This coming Monday will begin the Homelands Nominations (My last set during this run) and the New Committee Member Nominations. Take a look back at Homelands and think about who you want to replace me. Orgg will still be ineligible for nomination (as will I), but Spiderman is eligible again.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Killer Joe

Homelands: Autumn Willow
Comm. Member nomination: Spiderman!

<KJ is writhing his hands together while sitting on a rock quietly laughing to himself thinking: "I need to avoid the committee just one more time,......hm,hm,hm">

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Save your nominations for Monday.

......EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!! VOTE FOR KILLER JOE FOR THE NEXT ELECTION!!!!!!!!!!!

MOOSEMAN-KILLERJOE-LIMITED!!!!!!!!!!!!! M-KJ-L

Hm, rearrange those letters and you can get the following:

JKLM
MLK J

etc.

Ransac, cpa trash man

G

Gizmo

Because it's so narrow and awful why would anybody use it, let alone vote for it ahead of cards like Giant Oyster or Baron Sengir?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Truth be told, It came down to Giant Oyster, Didgeridoo, and Baron Sengir. Each of us had ranked the three completely differently and we debated on them for the entire week. I pushed for Didgeridoo and Giant Oyster the most out of the three and argued strongly for Didgeridoo in particular.

I disagreed adamantly on Baron Sengir and did so from the beginning of the vote. I don't feel that there is anything casual about that card, other than it's name-sake. Wizards pretty much forced that card on us as the icon of the set and I feel that there needed to be a better reason for selecting a Hall of Fame card other than "Wizards made it the icon".

The vote was split between G.O. and Didg. I flip-flopped back and forth on these two and eventually picked Didgeridoo. Limited argued that it had more or a Homelands vibe to it and that minotaurs were commonly associated with Homelands. That tipped my scale in it's favor and I stuck with that decision.

I stand by the selection. I feel that it represents the Homelands set well. if you guys think that the card sucks........ doesn't it represent Homelands, then ;)

Ransac, cpa trash man

O

orgg

I kinda see the logic.

I don't agree with it, but I see the logic.

B

BigBlue

I forgot to nominate for Alliances....
moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Oh well, at least I like a couple of the nominations... I don't know what I'd have nominated, but I have always liked Heart of Yaviyama...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I know how you feel. We went through Homelands without anybody nominating Dwarven Pony. I felt very upset.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Killer Joe

Okay, this was a "fun" thing to do especially since there were several GREAT cards to choose from such as Lord of Tresserhorn who is a very good card but less than spectaclar which is reason enough to be considered. Blue, Black & Red are certainly favorites of mine in that 3-color combination and looking this 10/4 legend did seem like a good choice. However, for me, the twinge for me wanting to put in one of my more agressive decks swayed me sleighty away from it.

Another consideration, and fiercely at that, was Arcan Denial. What other countermagic spell can you play and not TOTALLY *Tick-off* your opponent? You're basically saying: "I'm sorry, that spell of yours is not appropiate for me right now but I promise I'll let you get a chance at possibly getting another copy of it, compilements of Me" Of course, you too, get a chance to draw into either another copy of Arcane Denial or a better counter magic spell like Force of Will! Okay, FoW and Arcane Denial are way far apart from each other but related nonetheless. Same type of outcome *NO!*, from same set, same color, and so on........

I voted for Phelddagrif for several *casual* reasons:
1.) A gold legend of the three *good* colors (good as in good vs. evil) Blue, Green & White. To me, those colors represent what a casual player might play.
2.) The card was named in honor of Phd. Garfield (Phelddagrif), c'mon, the creator of the game is payed homage via a card from his own game? not casual but I don't many serious tourney players caring about that.
3.) The creature is friggin' PINK!, with green wings for cryin' out loud.
4.) It's a good card but not THAT good, it can't *house* your opponent, in fact it sorta can assist your opponent by either Life gain, draw a card or a 1/1 hippo token.

The vote went down, I think 3 - 0 ( but maybe one of those votes was a twisted arm vote :rolleyes:

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
:D I knew that Arcane Denial would be highly considered, but even I stated that Phelddgrif was too obvious. It was going to have to be the pick. Good selection!

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I like this pick. "Enchant Worlds" were designed to change the way a game was played to a new environment. I like it.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
The drama was that none of us were picking the same card as their number one pick. Took some discussion and a few listing of the cards in order of preference. But hey, we got the job done.

I would like to thank the other committee member that I have served with for putting up with me. Good luck to Gizmo, KJ and Limited.

Killer Joe

Believe it or not I really liked Waiting in the Weeds because of its "low impact" on the game which in my mind is "casual". It helped not only you but other players, too.

Polymorph was my second choice because 1.) Blue has a destruction card :D and 2.) That friggin' rabbit is funky looking. All reason to be selected to be casual.

Bazaar of Wonder is like countermagic and though thats what I LOVE I didn't chose it as my first pick.

I think I would've nominated Wall of Resistance, I think its in Mirage :rolleyes:

tag guard