Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

O

orgg

Ferrett,

They erratta'd Sorrow's Path.

That's the end, man. There's no tricks left, there.

Now lets all just look at that excellent artwork, alright?

Ferret

Staff member
Why would you want to erata the "Worst Card Ever Printed"? Afraid someone might be able to make it useful? What next? Making Joven's Ferrets a Beast card?

-Ferret

"one 'T', please"

D

DarthFerret

Whatever was after Ice Age, once we are done with that.

B

BigBlue

I believe it's one of my favorite sets (at least of that era)... Alliances... then, the abyssal Homelands - which would be a treasure trove of Casual if it weren't so crappy (Baron Sengir?)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Homelands was released before Alliances. You have to go through hell before you get to heaven. :p

O

orgg

Homelands. We break up the Ice Age block, just like Wizards of the Coast did!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
The Ice Age card has been selected via unanimous vote. Spidey will post it soon.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

Congrats to the Lhurgoyf (and to Spidey on his card getting in)!

The first Green card (which is sort of amazing to me). It won't be the last. So, which color will get casual last? White or Blue? (I'm going to guess Blue given all the Blue hate around here)...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think there's a lot of blue hate around here per se, but it doesn't immediately come to mind when thinking of casual cards. Usually the primary themes like drawing cards and countermagic, which aren't THAT casual (when going up against other cards in other colors).

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I think it's because the blue cards that were bad enough to win weren't nominated, and the blue cards that were nominated weren't bad enough to win.

Seriously though, cards from any color could win. I was rather hoping that Brainstorm might win this round...

L

Limited

Brainstorm? Really?
I mean, its great utility, but is that what makes a card casual? (not that I have a clear idea of what a casual card is or of what we are doing here :D)

B

BigBlue

Serendib Efreet... that is a "casual" Blue card... but I didn't nominate it when I had the chance... Doh.... Bottle of Solumein is more casual though (and won)... Mahamoti Djinn... That is a "casual" blue card... I think cards with Nicknames are "casual"... And we call him Fat Dad... Also, because they were reprinted - making them more accessible...

where Juzam Djinn is in a similar vein, but because it is nearly impossible to get one, they aren't really "casual"

I think somehow rarity (or the lack thereof) counts towards casualness - only because casual players aren't going to want to pay through the nose for a "casual" card... Is Dark Ritual Casual? Is Sol Ring Casual? Is Serra Angel Casual? Sengir Vampire? I think so to some degree... I don't think I ever played a night of magic where I didn't see those cards come into play among our casual games...

Counterspell, not a casual card. Force of Will, not a casual card. Stroke of Genius? Maybe... Cadaverous Bloom? Maybe... Prosperity? Maybe... It just depends on how they are used...

Can we just skip Homelands? I mean seriously... how many cards from that set are even used? Even in Casual? Castle Sengir? :) Yeah some folks used those goofy lands back in the day...

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I have a few blue casual cards in mind to nominate.... ESPECIALLY when the Rath Cycle comes around. Dare I say.... *GASP* NOMINATING A COUNTER!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Ransac, cpa trash man

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Casual doesn't equal bad, and most of the non-bad blue cards end up in tournament decks, Brainstorm included. Serendibs were also featured in some very competitive decks back in the day...The Fat Moti I reckon could be considered a bit casual though, and these days Serra and the Vampires are, mostly because there are so many better choices creature-wise now, though a few years ago Serras appeared in plenty of tourney-grade decks.

And as for Homelands...ERON THE RELENTLESS rides again!!!! ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I would consider the Djinn a "casual" card, basically because he's a "vanilla creature" (although a BIG one at that). He doesn't have any special abilities...

Serra and Sengir too, despite their abilities, just because back when I started, they were the defining creatures for white and black. Yeah, Serras were used in The Deck, but in my mind, they weren't "abused" in the deck, but because the Vigilance ability let them be blockers and attackers.

Heh, I'd almost consider Morphling a casual creature because he has tons of abilities. And whe I played him the ONE time in my group, people took one look at him and their eyes glazed over. Then when I tried to do fancy combat tricks with him, their heads exploded with the math and they just scooped :rolleyes: And "banned" me from ever using him again (as in not formally, but subtly like ganging up on me when they saw the particular deck he was in).

Anyway, that's why we have the committee - so three people can hash out between them what's casual at the time.