Warhammer Quest: Starting Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
One of the ogres charges Dorgath and the other two follow close behind it, engaging Throg and Kelgar. Carrow steps back and uses his bow.

-Kelgar blesses himself with Vanquish. Kelgar has an extra attack this turn.
-Carrow shoots an ogre in the shoulder, dealing 1 damage.

-An ogre swings at Throg, but misses.
-An ogre swings at Throg, but misses.
-An ogre bashes at Dorgath, but trips.
-An ogre's club glances off Dorgath for 1 damage.

-Throg thrusts at an ogre, but his sword fails to reach the monster.
-Throg springs at his opponent and sinks his fangs into the ogre's chest, dealing 2 damage.
-An ogre swings at Kelgar, but misses.
-An ogre's club glances off Kelgar for 2 damage.

-Dorgath becomes afraid of ogres. His attacks are at -1 to hit.
-Dorgath hacks at an ogre's torso, dealing 4 damage.
-Kelgar becomes afraid of ogres. His attacks are at -1 to hit.
-Kelgar swings at an ogre, but misses.
-Kelgar raises his hammer, but collides bodily with his opponent before he can bring the hammer down. He is thrown back against the doorframe.
-Kelgar gracefully catches himself, grabs the wall and propels himself back into the fray.
-Kelgar fails to heal anything this turn.

Round 2
-The power phase is 5 for this turn...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
-Kelgar fails to bless anything this turn.
-Carrow shoots an ogre in the chest, but the arrow catches against the ogre's thick breastbone and bounces off.
-An ogre swings at Dorgath, but his club is deflected by the dwarf's axe.
-An ogre smashes Dorgath with a fierce blow, but his armor absorbs most of the impact. Dorgath sustains 1 damage.

-Throg slashes an ogre for 1 damage.
-Throg springs at his opponent and sinks his fangs into the ogre's chest, dealing 2 damage.
-An ogre strikes Throg with a mighty blow...

Throg clenches his teeth and strives to fight on. He notices that the force of the ogre's attack was deadened by the power of the sword he's wielding. Throg realizes that it is a Sword of Defiance (the Sword of Defiance gives its wielder +3 toughness in combat while wielding it).

-Throg takes 5 damage from the ogre's attack.
-An ogre brings its club down on Throg, but he parries the blow.
-An ogre clubs Kelgar in the head, dealing 6 damage (5/13).
-An ogre smashes Kelgar...

-Shadowy tendrils emanate from Throg, whipping around Kelgar and the ogre he is fighting.
-Kelgar sustains 4 damage from the ogre's attack.
-Dorgath brings his axe in a huge arc at an ogre, but fumbles and fails to connect.
-His knees quivering and his face a bloody mess, Kelgar makes a desperate attempt to return the favor to his opponent.
-Kelgar's Ring of Command increases the strength of his attack.
-Kelgar's hammer crack's the ogre's face. The ogre is driven back by the force of the blow, taking 9 damage. The ogre simply snarls and continues fighting.

Kelgar has barely withstood the fearsome strikes of an ogre club. His opponent has also taken a savage blow and remains standing only through its monstrous constitution. Both of them are disoriented and will not likely survive another direct hit. The ogre is quicker and is readying its club to deal the finishing blow, but Kelgar might be able to use his healing powers to save himself...

-Kelgar succeeds in calling on the healing energies of his Ring of Jade. He may heal 10 of his own Wounds (which would put him back up to 11/13) or heal five of his own Wounds and fully restore either Throg or Dorgath.

Round 3
-The power phase is 2 for this turn.

Note: Since one of the ogres dealt a blow to Kelgar that would have just barely finished him, I had Throg save him with his Mark of Chaos. He could technically have also survived if Carrow administered his Healing Potion (which, unlike the Mark of Chaos, is one use only). I should probably let you guys decide which to do, but since these first two adventures were intended to be more of an introduction and the ability had yet to be used, I figured I'd at least point out that it could be...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
So you're saying we should note contigency plans like that?

And are there bonuses to flanking enemies in combat? I can't remember if you said or not...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, in this particular scenario Kelgar lost exactly the amount of Wounds he had left and would not have lost that many had one of the dice not come up 6, so the Mark of Chaos seemed like a good way to save him. Technically the Mark of Chaos is supposed to be able to re-roll just about anything, but I'll probably only pause during a round of combat for things like that if something particularly important happens. I suppose I can always let Turgy retroactively say he wants to use it for a certain thing. It's just an ability that operates rather oddly when doing this over a message board The other Warriors gain luck as they level up, which works the same way, so it's something I should have some system for...

And no, ordinarily there's no bonus for flanking.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Man, so it didn't carry over from Warhammer tabletop... :)

Dorgath attacks the ogre that's trying to finish off Kelgar.

turgy22

Nothing Special
If I can, I'll attack and try to kill off the badly-wounded ogre. If not, I'll keep working on the one I've been biting.

EDIT: Also, is there a penalty for switching weapons mid-battle? Considering how tough these ogres are, the Axe of Mighty Striking might be a better option, but I'm not sure if I want to miss an opportunity to attack.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;288960 said:
Man, so it didn't carry over from Warhammer tabletop... :)
Yeah, some things did and some things didn't. I can try to find the rules for how Warhammer handled flanking, but I think the reason for the omission in this case was just that it's generally small groups against small groups. When I think of flanking, I think of entire armies...

turgy22;288964 said:
If I can, I'll attack and try to kill off the badly-wounded ogre. If not, I'll keep working on the one I've been biting.

EDIT: Also, is there a penalty for switching weapons mid-battle? Considering how tough these ogres are, the Axe of Mighty Striking might be a better option, but I'm not sure if I want to miss an opportunity to attack.
Throg can reach the ogre Kelgar has been fighting. Dorgath can't, though (well, he'd have to try to get past the ogre he's already fighting, whereas Throg is already close enough).

The only time there would be a penalty for switching weapons is when you'd need to avoid dropping the weapon you're already wielding. Throg is carrying the lantern in one hand, but dropping the Sword of Defiance and drawing the Axe of Mighty Striking would be quick enough that he wouldn't lose an attack. He'd only lose the Sword of Defiance until he had time to pick it back up off the ground.

Uh, if you're wondering where Throg is drawing all these weapons from, beats me. I suppose carrying three different melee weapons on his person is still within the realm of realism. It's one odd thing in Warhammer Quest that I have yet to figure out a way to edit to my liking. I could limit the amount of stuff characters can carry, which none of the official rules do, but many of the events are designed where characters lose random items. While test-running the game, I remembered that the rules actually make it a good idea for Warriors to haul around as much junk as possible so that if, say, they're traveling back to town and a tornado hits them, they have a good chance of losing some crappy items instead of their best stuff. I'm going to try to devise some sort of compromise so that the Warriors still get a pretty good amount of equipment, but aren't padding their inventories in order to protect their most valued possessions, which my brother was notorious for back when we played this game in the late 1990's...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
When I think of flanking, I think of entire armies..
Well, 3.5 D&D (not sure about 4th) had "flat-footed" and penalties/bonuses for defending/attacking at various facing points, so not sure if it kinda applied here also, for small groups.

Since Dorgath can't help out Kelgar, he'll continue attacking the ogre he's facing and hope that Kelgar survives.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Okay, more questions...

1. There's 3 Ogres - the one Throg is fighting (has taken 5 damage), the one Dorgath is fighting (4 damage) and the one Kelgar is fighting (9 damage). Which one did Carrow hit early in the battle?

2. Could I put the lantern down and wield 2 weapons? Use the Sword of Defiance for defense and keep swinging with the Axe or Hellfire Sword?

Either way, I'm going to pull out the Hellfire Sword for my next attack and I'll go after the Ogre that's attacking Kelgar. I'll also use my Chalice of Night to guarantee a hit.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
turgy22;288976 said:
Okay, more questions...

1. There's 3 Ogres - the one Throg is fighting (has taken 5 damage), the one Dorgath is fighting (4 damage) and the one Kelgar is fighting (9 damage). Which one did Carrow hit early in the battle?
The one Throg is fighting.

2. Could I put the lantern down and wield 2 weapons? Use the Sword of Defiance for defense and keep swinging with the Axe or Hellfire Sword?
While fighting? Ordinarily you'd have to pass an initiative test to keep the lantern from falling over, but the ogres' device on the tomb has a few dim torches mounted to it, so unless they go out too, you won't be fighting in total darkness...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
If you fight in the dark, you are penalized on all your to-hit rolls. The default penalty is -2, but this might vary depending on what you're fighting...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spiderman;289038 said:
Do dwarves get less of a penalty?
Actually, I've thought about this. In the official rules, they don't. But in the Warhammer world, they supposedly live in the ground and this would lead me to think that they should get less of a penalty. So yes, I'm instituting that as a house rule.

turgy22;289040 said:
Do the ogres get the penalty as well?
Heh. Not telling. :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Kelgar is reinvigorated by the healing powers of his ring. Fully restored, he presses on against his assailant. Throg drops the lantern and manages to keep it upright, then draws his Hellfire Sword while holding the Sword of Defiance for its defensive property.

-Kelgar fails to bless anything this turn.
-Carrow is distracted and his shot flies over everyone's heads.
-An ogre clubs Throg's head, dealing 3 damage.
-An ogre smacks Throg's chest with its club, dealing 3 damage (7/18).

-A strange glow appears around Throg.
-Throg's Hellfire sword darts in his hand and slices the ogre Kelgar is fighting, dealing 2 damage.
-Throg bites the ogre for 2 damage. The ogre succumbs to the venom from Throg's fangs and falls trembling to the ground.
-An ogre swings at Dorgath, but the dwarf sidesteps the attack.
-An ogre swings at Dorgath, but the dwarf sidesteps the attack.
-An ogre brings its club down toward Kelgar, but stumbles and falls down.

-Dorgath spins around and eviscerates an ogre with his axe, dealing 4 damage.
-Kelgar strikes an ogre in the head, dealing 4 damage.
-Kelgar fully restores Throg with his Ring of Jade.
-Kelgar is awarded 55 gold for his healing efforts! Praise Sigmar.

Their comrade has fallen, but the two remaining ogres roar and continue trying to bash the Warriors.

Round 4
-The power phase is 1 for this turn. An unexpected event occurs...

A ghost reaches the bottom of the staircase and advances toward Carrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.