Warhammer Quest: Starting Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Carrow slips away while the rest of the party surrounds the ghost. The ghost disregards the elf and turns its attention to Throg...

-Kelgar fails to bless anything this turn.
-Carrow shoots at the ghost, but in his haste misses the mark.
-Throg becomes afraid of ghosts. His attacks are at -1 to hit.
-Throg thrusts at the ghost, but cannot catch it.
-Throg bites into the ghost. His fangs are unaffected by the strange sword's power, and the ghost shudders, taking 2 damage.
-The ghost counterattacks, but misses.
-Dorgath becomes afraid of ghosts. His attacks are at -1 to hit.
-Dorgath strikes the ghost squarely with his axe, but it feels like hitting a brick wall and only deals 1 damage.
-Kelgar becomes afraid of ghosts. His attacks are at -1 to hit.
-Kelgar swings, but his hammer passes through the ghost without harming it.

Round 3
-The power phase is 6 for this turn.
-Kelgar blesses himself with Vanquish. Kelgar has an extra attack this turn.
-Carrow fires an arrow through the ghost, which does no damage.
-Throg slashes the ghost, dealing 1 damage.
-Throg bites the ghost, dealing 2 damage.
-The ghost strikes Throg with a chilling attack for 4 damage.
-Dorgath swings his axe, but the ghost moves out of the way.
-Kelgar smashes the ghost's head.
-Kelgar's Ring of Command increases the strength of his attack.
-The ghost takes 3 damage.
-Kelgar swings again, but his hammer slides through the ghost.
-Kelgar restores Throg's Wounds with his Ring of Jade.
-Kelgar is awarded 20 gold for his healing efforts. Praise Sigmar!

Round 4
-The power phase is 6 for this turn.
-Carrow fires an arrow over the ghost's head.
-Throg brings his sword in a huge arc into the ghost, but it bounces off.
-The Hellfire Sword creates a burst of flame, dealing 1 damage to the ghost, Throg, Dorgath, and Kelgar.
-Throg bites, but the attack has no effect on the ethereal opponent.
-The ghost chills Throg, dealing 2 damage.
-Dorgath slashes at the ghost, but the ghost parries his axe with its sword.
-Kelgar swings his hammer, but loses his balance.
-Kelgar attacks the ghost, but is trembling in fear and his aim is off.
-Kelgar heals himself and his companions with his Ring of Jade (but Throg is still slightly damaged).
-Kelgar collects 20 gold for his healing efforts. Praise Sigmar!

Round 5
-The power phase is 2 for this turn.
-Kelgar fails to bless anything.
-Carrow fires an arrow over the ghost's head.
-Throg thrusts at the ghost, but is trembling in fear and his aim is off.
-Throg bites at the ghost, but cannot catch it.
-The ghost chills Throg, dealing 2 damage.
-Dorgath swings his axe, but only hits the floor.
-Kelgar swings his hammer, but is trembling in fear and his aim is off.

Round 6
-Carrow shoots at the ghost, but his shot flies wide.
-The ghost catches Throg in a chilling grasp for 1 damage.
-Throg's fear causes him to miss the ghost.
-Throg lunges and bites, but the ghost isn't even close.
-Dorgath brings his axe up into the ghost's face, but it rebounds off without doing any damage.
-Kelgar swings his hammer, hitting the ghost in the head. His Ring of Command strengthens the attack, but it still only deals 1 damage.

Round 7
-The power phase is 5 for this turn.
-Carrow fires an arrow through the ghost, which does no damage.
-Throg stumbles and fails to threaten the ghost with his strike.
-Throg tries to catch the ghost in his jaws, but the ghost sidesteps him.
-The ghost catches Throg in a chilling grasp for 1 damage.
-Dorgath chops at the ghost, but his axe is blocked by the ghost's sword.
-Kelgar attacks, but misses completely.
-Kelgar attacks, but misses completely.

Round 8
-The power phase is 4 for this turn.
-Carrow's fear messes up his aim and his arrow barely misses the ghost.
-The ghost tries to catch Throg, but is too slow.
-Throg swings his sword at the ghost, but the ghost parries his attack.
-Throg lunges at the ghost and nearly slices his own face open on the ghost's sword.
-Dorgath's axe passes through the ghost without harming it.
-Kelgar raises his hammer over his head to bring it down on the ghost, but has it knocked aside by the ghost's sword.

Round 9
-Carrow's fear causes his shot to go wide.
-Throg cuts at the ghost, but misses.
-Throg snaps at the ghost, but misses.
-The ghost tries to catch Throg, but is too slow.
-Dorgath springs at the ghost, but barely misses his attack.
-Kelgar swings his hammer, but it passes through the ghost without effect.
-Kelgar restores Throg's Wounds with this Ring of Jade.
-Kelgar is awarded 25 gold for his healing efforts. Praise Sigmar!

-Round 10
-The power phase is 4 for this turn.
-Carrow misses his shot again.
-The ghost catches Throg in a chilling grasp, dealing 1 damage.
-Throg strikes with his sword, but is blocked by the ghost's sword.
-Throg snaps at the ghost, but misses.
-Dorgath springs at the ghost with a powerful blow of his axe, dealing 7 damage.

After much fighting and after sustaining several blows that should have finished it, the ghost drops its magical sword and floats, dissipating, to the earth.

Poor Carrow had no luck once he switched to his bow. I mean, ghosts are supposed to be hard to hit anyway, but still...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath picks up the sword and tries to identify it.

"This weapon seems very powerful to be able to withstand our attacks. It could be useful..."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
This ancient sword suffuses its wielder with a strange, shifting glow. Even though Dorgath is not attuned to things magical, he already has some idea of what this does and does notice the protective effect, but still cannot quite figure out the sword's exact nature...

Note: Even though he isn't sure exactly what it does, Dorgath could wield the sword for its effect, just as Carrow did with the Elf Helm even though it wasn't identified. However, since this is a sword and not an axe, Dorgath would lose the benefit of his Great Axe special ability while using the new weapon. Kelgar cannot use swords. The other two Warriors could use this with no penalty.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath gives the sword to Throg and then checks out the room for any more interesting stuff and secret doors.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Even though everything else in the room (besides the sword) seems to have been removed or destroyed, Dorgath finds a small wooden box containing 80 gold.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Wooo!" Dorgath takes the gold and joins Throg in moving down the corridor to the next set of doors.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Along the way, Kelgar heals Throg's remaining wounds. Looking south, straight ahead there are stairs descending. The doors east and west are both wide open, as with the previous doors, but now that you have ventured deeper into the crypt, these doors lead to large, ornate tomb chambers. You meet no living creatures, but both rooms have dead and undead aplenty. In the center of each chamber there is a wraith hovering over the room's sarcophagus...

Continual use of dark magic drains the soul and withers the body, until only an insubstantial husk remains, deprived of its substance and driven by a twisted mind. The victims of such foolishness are called wraiths. Once they were great men, wizards of considerable power, but now they are just shadows kept between life and death by their own bitterness. Their cloaks give them form, but nothing remains of their physical bodies. Two glowing red eyes glint from behind their cowls. They are dangerous because their chill touch drains life from living creatures.

The wraiths are incredibly terrifying and you get the feeling that either one of them would eagerly kill all four of you. Fortunately, they are not budging from their respective locations. Around each wraith ghosts move in circles and aimlessly walk through the walls in and out of each chamber. Whether the ghosts are drawn by the wraiths or are holding them back, you cannot discern, but the wraiths simply stare into the corridor either at you or at each other, and the ghosts ignore you, watching only the wraiths.

In addition, both rooms contain dozens of fresh corpses. Almost all of them are human, with the occasional dwarf, and they appear to be heavily armed. You could loot the bodies, but you don't want to share their fate. On the other hand, the undead seem to be ignoring you and if you stay away from the tombs themselves you won't be getting too close to them. But perhaps it's best not to risk it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"An outrage! Dwarven bodies lying to rot? Such must be burned to honor their ancestors!

However, the wraiths and ghosts pose a bit of a problem. What say you, fellow adventurers? Should we bypass these rooms and check what lies beyond the stairs? Although I am loath to leave them be, as they might be a threat if we stir up anything further in the crypt and we might be weaker then or need a fast escape..."

turgy22

Nothing Special
"I say we get what we came here for and get out. I'm getting tired of fighting all these ghosts."

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
What did we come here for? I don't like this set up....ghosts and wraiths are not in our skill sets..... maybe on the way back we could clear them out.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"We're looking for that book for that wizard or sorceror or whoever he is. He did say it's in the tomb farthest from the entrance, so I guess if we keep heading in, we'll find it and hopefully not disturb anyone else."

Melkor

Dozens of fresh corpses.

"I would say that this evil is beyond our powers to vanquish right now. I will return with sufficient numbers of my brethren to end this mockery of life but I fear that any attempt by just us will only lead to our slaughter."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"All right, it looks like it's 3 vs 1 for finding the book..."

Dorgath leads the way to the stairs and cautiously descends.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Apologies for making this kind of incomplete, but starting school again has left me with little time. I think people want to get on with this, so I'm updating now even though I really shouldn't be as I don't have enough time to at the moment. More later today perhaps. As it is, I'm just going through the few turns that it takes to get across the corridor and to the bottom of the stairs, which are uneventful anyway. No map yet. Oh, and the power phase once you get down there is 5.

When you reach the bottom of the stairs, you arrive in another large tomb chamber like the two you saw earlier. Some strange device has been clamped onto the tomb. Unlike the other tombs, this one shows no sign of horrifying wraiths or any other undead. However...

Ogres stand twice as tall as a man, with massive muscles, jutting jaws and thick bony foreheads. Once an ogre decides to act it is all but unstoppable! Three ogres are standing near the tomb, two of them tinkering with the strange device and the other one watching the door. As you enter, the ogre watching the door snarls.

"No! We got here first. The treasure is ours."

The other two ogres turn their attention towards you, drawing their weapons...

Status
Not open for further replies.