Warhammer Quest: Death Below Karak Azgal

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, at least temporarily I'm back on my desktop. I didn't really want to update your characters on my laptop and have to transfer everything back again, as I am lazy. I'll distribute the treasure like this tentatively, and if anyone wants to change it, let me know...

Throg: Lifestone of Ashraz, Bane Sword (Orcs), Blessed Sword
Dorgath: Enchanted Shield, Crossbow of Swiftness, Elf-Biter, Helm of the Dragonslayer
Carrow: Elf Shield, Dawnstone, Bane Sword (Goblins)

Kelgar can't really use any of it anyway and I've pretty much given up on Melkor returning to this anyway. Technically Throg won't be able to use most of this either once he gets more chaos stuff, but for now he's still human enough to benefit from these magic items. Everyone has some gear options now, so let me know what should be equipped by default now...

Dorgath's chain armor doesn't provide as much protection as the Enchanted Shield, so I'll assume he'll unequip his armor and switch to the shield. Dorgath can keep the Old Helmet he found in Karak Azgal in either case. For his weapon, he has two major axe options. Elf-Biter, Axe of Gromm ignores armor and once other modifiers are deducted (mostly Toughness, but some opponents have other forms of protection that can absorb damage), does double damage. Dorgath's Great Axe of Smiting deals an additional 1D6 damage on a to-hit roll of 5+ and also has a dwarven guildmasters rune that causes it to ignore 1 point of armor. The crossbow isn't much use yet, since no one has any crossbow bolts handy, but it might be worth equipping later. Dorgath also has a Skull Wand of Kaloth (some weird deal with charges that can't be replenished and it can instantly kill monsters if a charge is used up), Relic Blade (+1 to hit), a Blessed Sword (only misses on a to-hit roll of 2 or lower), a Sword of Might (+1 Strength), and a Sword of Defiance (+3 Toughness). He can only use his special ability (Great Axe Attack) with an axe.

Throg has his Axe of Might Striking and a bunch of swords to choose from as weaponry. He's usually been wielding a Sword of Defiance in his off-hand for the Toughness bonus, so I'll assume that continues for now. Let me know which weapon you want to actually use. I'm too lazy to type them all up right now. If you didn't keep track of them, I'll list them when I wake up. Spiderman is the only one that gets the full list. Spiderman get special treatment because he has almost a million posts.

Carrow has some swords too. I'll also list those later if you want. Some of them are pretty good I think. I'll assume that he defaults to Eltharion's Bow, but that if he goes melee he'll try to put the bow away and switch to a sword of some sort and his new Elf Shield. Good night.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Spiderman get special treatment because he has almost a million posts.
Woot! I knew my jabbering would pay off someday! :D

Does using an axe require both hands though? If not, I'll equip the Shield. It sounds like Elf-Biter is the slightly better axe so I'll start using it. If anyone wants one of my swords, they're welcome to them.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Does using an axe require both hands though? If not, I'll equip the Shield. It sounds like Elf-Biter is the slightly better axe so I'll start using it. If anyone wants one of my swords, they're welcome to them.
Well, I said something like that a long time ago and you might still remember it, but I was in error. There are battle axes in Warhammer Quest that preclude the use of a shield (and have an additional Strength bonus), but regular axes do not. So you're good to go!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
That is basically Carrows modus operendi.
If I get all these swords sorted out, i'll let you which one I am using.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, presuming we're about done with the treasure here, Dorgath checks the room for secret doors, carefully avoiding the known traps.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Carrow's swords:
-Regular Sword (1D6 + Strength).
-Blade of Couronne: Undead monsters adjacent to the wielder lose 1 Wound at the end of each turn, which cannot be regenerated.
-Sword of Hoeth: When using, roll 1D6. On a 1, the Warrior trips and falls over and loses all attacks for the turn. On a 5 or 6, he gains double attacks.
-Bane Sword (Goblins): Does double damage to goblins.

Dorgath makes it safely past the traps again, finding no secret doors in the room.

Since it's been a while, I'll remind everyone of the known avenues of exploration...
-Magically locked door. Scroll with invisible ink reveals incantation that may unlock it.
-Apparently blank papers sitting on a table in Skrunch's lair.
-Grimcrag Grunnson, still frozen in stone.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Cripes. I thought we used up all of the papers in Skrunch's lair. Let's go back and use the Anti-Invis paint on them.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, I've been a bit sick lately, but I did want to get back to this. Let's see...

Dorgath applies the anti-invisibility liquid to the remaining documents in Skrunch's lair. This reveals a bizarre set of what are mostly messages from "Deathmonger, Bloodlord of Khorne" on the subject of invasion plans, with the goal of "carving up the petty kingdoms of man." A couple of the papers might offer useful information...

-There are references to the Star of Dawn having been on this level, in the now-flooded room.
-The orcs seemed to have wanted Grimcrag Grunnson's magic axe, but couldn't find a way to obtain it without using a dagger to break the petrification spell, something they didn't want to resort to and didn't seem sure would even work.
-There are notes indicating that there is a chaos gate in the very lowest level of these halls. "Deathmonger" seems to be planning to use the gate to launch a surprise attack on some human city. He never says which one.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"All right guys, it seems the dagger may be the key to breaking the petrification spell. Any ideas, especially from you magic types? Should we just try to smash the dagger on the statue? Smash it on the floor in the same room?"

turgy22

Nothing Special
"I think we should find a way to get in touch with this Deathmonger fellow. He seems like a nice guy and this invasion he's planning sounds fun."

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Yes, getting answers from this Deathmonger may be a good idea.
Maybe stabbing him with a dagger would work..... or not.....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Let's try to stay on-mission and rescue my bretheran for now. Then we can have a nice chat with this Bloodlord later."