Warhammer Quest: Death Below Karak Azgal

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Dorgath glares at Carrow. Making a point to ignore him, he says, "Let's go back to the statue and I'll smash the dagger (pommel stone?) on the floor and see what happens."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The gem containing Grimcrag Grunnson's soul seems to become more energetic as Dorgath nears the stone dwarf. Dorgath strikes the dagger against the floor near Grimcrag, but nothing happens.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
The dagger shatters and the stone begins to crack. Grimcrag comes to life and obliterates the two fleeing goblins with a single blow of his axe. He stands, proud and triumphant over his fallen foes, then turns to you and says, gruffly...

"You have my thanks. But how did you come to be in this perilous place?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Booya!

"We were actually tasked to find you, you've been gone for quite some time. How did you end up encased in stone and do you know anything about Chao filth desecrating these halls?"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"Yes, it's been a long time. How long? I'm not quite sure. You came all the way down here to find me? Well, you must be very brave, but I can tell that you lack experience. Do you not know of cockatrices and dragons? Creatures that can turn you to stone or burn you to a crisp? And then there's the damned sorcery. Why, I was just about to slay some more goblins when I was caught by that orcish sorcery and trapped in stone. There are all manners of evil in these depths. But you say you came here looking for me? Who sent you? My father would have wanted to find me. But this isn't his way..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Actually, it was your son. Your companions thought you were dead and your father went to try to find your body and reclaim your axe, but we found him too and he (either fell in combat/or is safe back at home, not sure which since I can't remember).

I've heard of dragons but not cockatrices. Apparently the orcs and chaos sorcerors built some gates or portals in the depths, because that's how we ended up here; we didn't intend to go this deep but couldn't find your body and so we just followed the "path". And now there's evidence that some chaos sorceror is planning some "invasion" from way down below; we could either head back up to warn your clan or try to shut down the gate." Dorgath shows Grimcrag the papers.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Grimcrag is stricken with grief at the news of Ungrun's death and the Chaos plot. He examines the papers...

"The Star of Dawn was here, somewhere close by. And the orcs encased it in a black substance to insulate its holy power from themselves. Did you come across it? You found the gem they used to imprison me, and I believe they would have kept it with their other important artifacts.

Oh, if my son sent you, he would not have known. I originally ventured down here to find the Star of Dawn. Long ago, the elves entrusted us with its care, but we lost it, and the Grunnson Clan was disgraced before all dwarves for our failure. If I can recover the Star, perhaps we can begin repairing the damage that was done so long ago..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Ah yes, this must be it. "Dorgath produces the Black Lump That Is Not Coal that had puzzled the party. "What damage needs repairing?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Prison?" Leave it to an elf to be blind and not see the beauty all around him in the rock and caverns of the deep (despite the presence of the foul greenskins)"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Grimcrag takes the Star of Dawn.

"You've done us a greater service than Ironbeard could have known. If a Grunnson returns the Star of Dawn, we can reclaim our Book of Grudges and make good our quarrel with the elves. Our honor shall be restored and we owe you a great debt.

But there is more work to be done. My axe's magic will allow me to return to the surface using the path I first took on my way down here. Without it, you could not leave this place through that route. Still, the path I'll take is fraught with the most powerful denizens of these depths. I could avoid most of them and perhaps take you to the surface alive. There may be another way.

The invocation on the scroll you found will doubtless open the door yonder. It is my duty to return the Star of Dawn, but someone should investigate this invasion plot. While it's not part of your deal with the Grunnson clan, it might give you information that the Empire would buy, as well as a way out of here..."

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
'Oh, sure stay down here and solve more of your problems, while you quarrel with the Elves? Sure, I can do that and help the other race in the conflict!"
"Maybe, you can use these things that I assisted on and try to end the conflict, or at least mitigate it."
"But, I stay and help, I'm going kill anything that gets in the way, be it goblin, orc, harpy or ...... dwarf!"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
D0rgath glares at the elf. " I think he means that the quarrel with the Elves will be closed and put to rest, not start or continue one."

"Aye, I'd be willing to investigate further. And if the Empire's willing to buy, even better!"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
"Before we part ways, here, maybe these will help..."

Throg, Dorgath, Kelgar, and Carrow each receive one Full Healing Potion.

Grimcrag heads off toward the mysterious, endless corridor.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
"That's it? We save his ugly face and we get one potion and have to stay here? We got the short end of the stick on this one."
"Let's get a move on, the sooner this is done the better."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
"Hey, I'll take your potion if you don't want it.

Looks like the only way left is the magically locked door which can be unlocked with the scroll. Let's rest to heal up (if we aren't at full HPs right now) and then get to it!"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Dorgath reads the incantation. The door opens. This chamber is long and narrow, with the melodic sounds of trickling water ringing off the polished walls. There is an ornate, broad fountain in the middle of the room. To the far end is a huge trap door sunken into the floor. As you enter the room, the trapdoor flies open, and monsters pour into the room...

Individual Skaven warriors are vicious but cowardly creatures, and they are best deployed in large numbers. The more powerful warriors lead their brethren into combat, and a Skaven Champion will not think twice about stabbing his leader in the back in his desire to rise to the rank of Chieftan.

The black-clad Skaven assassins of Clan Eshin are rightly feared by those who know of them. They are trained from birth as quick, murderous fighters adept in the use of poisons, garrottes, throwing stars, and all manner of exotic weapons. From the lowly Gutter Runners to the deadly Deathmasters, all are feared and respected.

A skaven assassin, six skaven clanrats, and three minotaurs emerge on the far end of the room. One of the skaven gestures in your general direction and squeals...

"There he is. Get him!"

The minotaurs charge.

I have Dorgath currently wielding Elf-Biter, Axe of Gromm and an Enchanted Shield. Kelgar is just using his warhammer. I'm not sure which weapons Throg is using or which sword Carrow will default to when not firing his bow.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Has Throg exhausted his Amesome Combo yet? If not, he'll activate the Chalice of Night and swing his Axe of Mighty Striking at one of the Minotaurs.

Otherwise, he'll quaff his Potion of Pain, dual-wield the Sword of Defiance and Blessed Sword, poison the Blessed Sword, and start hacking at whatever's closest.

Side note: do we still have our human minions with us? I sort of lost track of them.