Topdeck: Turgy22 vs. BigBlue

B

BigBlue

In response to the force, I'll play ancestral recall, responses?

B

BigBlue

Arghh.... I completely forgot FOIL!

Nicely done...

Turn complete.

Turgy22
Life: 14
Hand: 3
In Play

(T) Volcanic Island
(T) Mox Ruby
(T) Mountain
(U) Strip Mine

Crucible of Worlds (I can play lands from my graveyard)
Propoganda (Creatures can't attack me unless their controller pays 2 per creature)

(S) Basking Rootwalla (1/1; 1G: ~ gets +2/+2 until eot usable once/turn; madness:0)
(U) Sparkmage Apprentice (1/1; deals 1 damage when it CIP)

Graveyard: Force of Will, Underground Sea, Foil
RFG:Black Lotus, Nantuko Shaman, Ancestral Recall, Molten Rain, Vizzerdrix

BigBlue
Life: 15
Hand: 0
In Play

(Artifact) Zuran Orb (sacrifice a land: gain 2 life)
(U) Lion's Eye Diamond (T, Discard hand, Sac ~: Add 3 mana of any color)

(T) Volcanic Island (T: R or U)
(T) Mox Ruby (T:R)
(T) Mox Pearl (T:W)

(U) Phrexian Walker (0/3)
(U) Kird Ape (1/1; ~ gets +1/+2 if I control a Forest)
(U) Sokenzen Renegade (3/3; Bushido 1; At the beginning of my upkeep, the player with the most cards in hands gains control of this.)

Graveyard: Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall
Removed from Game: Diabolic Edict, Birds of Paradise, Taiga, Forest, Snow Forest, Urza's Bauble, Black Lotus

turgy22

Nothing Special
Thanks. You probably won't like what's coming, though.
EOT, Strip mine your Volcanic Island (I'll assume that you activate the Orb in response.)
Untap. Upkeep. Take back my Renegade.
Draw.
Play Shattering Spree, replicating twice to kill your LED and moxes.
Sacrifice a Mountain to play Crash, killing your Walker.
Play Strip Mine.
Attack with Sparkmage Apprentice.
Then I'm done, whether you block or not.
EOT, I discard Daze.

Turgy22
In Play

(T) Volcanic Island
(T) Mox Ruby
(T) Mountain
(U) Strip Mine

(Art) Crucible of Worlds (I can play lands from my graveyard)
(Ench) Propoganda (Creatures can't attack me unless their controller pays 2 per creature)

(U) Basking Rootwalla (1/1; 1G: ~ gets +2/+2 until eot usable once/turn; madness:0)

Graveyard: Force of Will, Underground Sea, Foil, Shattering Spree, Crash, Daze
RFG: Black Lotus, Nantuko Shaman, Ancestral Recall, Molten Rain, Vizzerdrix

BigBlue
Life: 17
In Play

(S) Sokenzen Renegade (3/3; Bushido 1; At the beginning of my upkeep, the player with the most cards in hand gains control of this.)

Graveyard: Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall, Volcanic Island, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Phrexian Walker
Removed from Game: Diabolic Edict, Birds of Paradise, Taiga, Forest, Snow Forest, Urza's Bauble, Black Lotus

B

BigBlue

One sec... I don't know the renegade, but wouldn't it trigger on it's controller's upkeep? Does that change your play?

B

BigBlue

Untap, Draw, Discard Vizzerdrix, Done

Turgy22
In Play

(T) Volcanic Island
(T) Mox Ruby
(T) Mountain
(U) Strip Mine

(Ench) Propoganda (Creatures can't attack me unless their controller pays 2 per creature)

(U) Basking Rootwalla (1/1; 1G: ~ gets +2/+2 until eot usable once/turn; madness:0)

Graveyard: Force of Will, Underground Sea, Foil, Shattering Spree, Crash, Daze

BigBlue
In Play

(U) Sokenzen Renegade (3/3; Bushido 1; At the beginning of my upkeep, the player with the most cards in hand gains control of this.)

Graveyard: Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall, Volcanic Island, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Phrexian Walker, Vizzerdrix

turgy22

Nothing Special
Wow. Who knew Vizzerdrix would be so popular in this format?
Untap. Upkeep. Draw.
Play Underground Sea.
Cast Flare, targetting your Ape.
Done.

Turgy22
In Play

(U) Volcanic Island
(T) Mox Ruby
(T) Mountain
(T) Strip Mine
(U) Underground Sea

Graveyard: Force of Will, Foil, Shattering Spree, Crash, Daze, Flare

BigBlue
In Play

(U) Sokenzen Renegade (3/3; Bushido 1; At the beginning of my upkeep, the player with the most cards in hand gains control of this.)

Graveyard: Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall, Volcanic Island, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Phrexian Walker, Vizzerdrix, Kird Ape

B

BigBlue

(What idiot came up with this format... :) oh yeah... :) ) I think you are correct - the hand size should be 1... that would make everything else make sense - first person still gets to play or draw, and when there's a lockdown like this - you have a small chance of pulling out of it... though it just means you need 1 more card to lock down opponents (Disrupting Scepter)... in the later games it could be even more important, after the moxes and cheap mana are gone. I didn't say anything when it came into play - but I did say cards which look at (or alter) hand size would be banned, so technically the renegade shouldn't be here - that was when it was 0 card hands... I still think with a 1 card hand it's important to ban those cards. I guess we could also just play completely normal - just that you only have 1 card to start to prevent those turn 1 kills which was the point of restricting hand size.

Untap, upkeep (you draw, then get back renegade), Draw, Discard Polar Kraken, Done.

Turgy22
In Play

(U) Volcanic Island
(T) Mox Ruby
(T) Mountain
(T) Strip Mine
(U) Underground Sea

(S) Sokenzen Renegade (3/3; Bushido 1; At the beginning of my upkeep, the player with the most cards in hand gains control of this.)

BigBlue
In Play

Graveyard: Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall, Volcanic Island, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Phrexian Walker, Vizzerdrix, Kird Ape, Polar Kraken

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
*Ransac = confused as to BigBlue's strategy.... unless he simply wants to take as many "Big Blue" creatures down with him...*

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
My bad about the hand size thing. It didn't even cross my mind when I picked out the renegade.
Untap. Upkeep. Draw.
Play Elfhame Palace.
Attack for 2.
Done.

Turgy22
In Play

(U) Volcanic Island
(U) Mox Ruby
(U) Mountain
(U) Strip Mine
(U) Underground Sea
(T) Elfhame Palace

(T) Basking Rootwalla (1/1; 1G: ~ gets +2/+2 until eot usable once/turn; madness:0)
(T) Sparkmage Apprentice (1/1; deals 1 damage when it CIP)

BigBlue
Life: 15
In Play

Graveyard: Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall, Volcanic Island, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Phrexian Walker, Vizzerdrix, Kird Ape, Polar Kraken

B

BigBlue

BigBlue Strategy = draw out the game a bit choosing cards he'll never play to make turgy hopefully pull cards he might want later... :)

But, I think I'll just concede at this point since I don't see any way to achieve victory, or success in that vein... Now that a fair amount of power cards are gone... I will still choose to draw rather than play, and I'll leave it to Turgy to decide if we should alter the hand size to 1 prior to game 2. I'm going to clean up the "format" thread to include the library adjustment, and potentially the hand size. Another potential change could be allowing for basic lands again - rather than banning them throughout. there really are a lot of different lands though, so we'll see how it goes.

I don't really want to tweak a whole bunch until we play out the rest of the game, I think the end of the match will make things better.

Turgy22
Life: 20
Hand: 1
In Play

Graveyard:
RFG: Black Lotus, Nantuko Shaman, Ancestral Recall, Molten Rain, Vizzerdrix, Force of Will, Foil, Shattering Spree, Crash, Daze, Flare, Volcanic Island, Mox Ruby, Mountain, Strip Mine, Underground Sea, Elfhame Palace, Crucible of Worlds, Propoganda, Basking Rootwalla, Sparkmage Apprentice, Sokenzen Renegade

BigBlue
In Play

Graveyard:
Removed from Game: Diabolic Edict, Birds of Paradise, Taiga, Forest, Snow Forest, Urza's Bauble, Black Lotus, Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall, Volcanic Island, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Phrexian Walker, Vizzerdrix, Kird Ape, Polar Kraken, Zuran Orb

turgy22

Nothing Special
I like the idea of a 1-card hand size. It's basically the same game, except without a forced discard and an added element of surprise.

Suspend Lotus Bloom.
Done.

Turgy22
Suspended (Time Counters)
Lotus Bloom (3)
In Play

Graveyard:
RFG: Black Lotus, Nantuko Shaman, Ancestral Recall, Molten Rain, Vizzerdrix, Force of Will, Foil, Shattering Spree, Crash, Daze, Flare, Volcanic Island, Mox Ruby, Mountain, Strip Mine, Underground Sea, Elfhame Palace, Crucible of Worlds, Propoganda, Basking Rootwalla, Sparkmage Apprentice, Sokenzen Renegade

BigBlue
In Play

Graveyard:
Removed from Game: Diabolic Edict, Birds of Paradise, Taiga, Forest, Snow Forest, Urza's Bauble, Black Lotus, Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall, Volcanic Island, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Phrexian Walker, Vizzerdrix, Kird Ape, Polar Kraken, Zuran Orb

B

BigBlue

Draw, Play Underground River, Play Mox Jet, Done.

Turgy22
Lotus Bloom (3)
In Play

Graveyard:

BigBlue
In Play

(U) Mox Jet (T:B)
(U) Underground River (T:1; T: B or U and ~ does 1 dmg to me)

Graveyard:

turgy22

Nothing Special
Upkeep, remove a counter.
Draw.
Play Coastal Tower.
Done.

Turgy22
Lotus Bloom (2)
In Play

Graveyard:

BigBlue
In Play

(U) Mox Jet (T:B)
(U) Underground River (T:1; T: B or U and ~ does 1 dmg to me)

Graveyard:

B

BigBlue

(if you would, include rules text or a link... I don't recall or know a lot of cards and it makes it easier for me. Thanks)

Untap, Draw, Play Rootwater Thief, Done.

Turgy22
Lotus Bloom (2)
In Play

(T) Coastal Tower (cip tapped; T: U or W)

Graveyard:

BigBlue
Life: 19
In Play

(T) Mox Jet (T:B)
(T) Underground River (T:1; T: B or U and ~ does 1 dmg to me)

(S) Rootwater Thief (1/1; U:Flying; When ~ attacks and is not blocked I may pay 2, if I do ~ deals no damage and I get to search through defenders library and remove a card in it from the game.)

Graveyard:

turgy22

Nothing Special
No problem.
Untap.
Upkeep, remove a time counter.
Draw.
Play Swords to Plowshares, targetting your thief.
Done.

Turgy22
Lotus Bloom (1) (T, sac: Add 3 mana of any color. 0: Suspend 3)
In Play
(U) Coastal Tower (This CIP tapped. T: Add U or W)

Graveyard: Swords to Plowshares

BigBlue
Life: 21
In Play

Graveyard:
Removed from Game: Diabolic Edict, Birds of Paradise, Taiga, Forest, Snow Forest, Urza's Bauble, Black Lotus, Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall, Volcanic Island, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Phrexian Walker, Vizzerdrix, Kird Ape, Polar Kraken, Zuran Orb, Rootwater Thief

B

BigBlue

I actually cleaned up (edited) while you were posting, I'm at 20 (used the pain for U)

Untap, Draw, Play Sinkole on your tower, Done.

Turgy22
Lotus Bloom (1) (T, sac: Add 3 mana of any color. 0: Suspend 3)
In Play

Graveyard: Swords to Plowshares, Coastal Tower

BigBlue
In Play

Graveyard: Sinkhole
Removed from Game: Diabolic Edict, Birds of Paradise, Taiga, Forest, Snow Forest, Urza's Bauble, Black Lotus, Timetwister, Balance, Ancestral Recall, Volcanic Island, Lion's Eye Diamond, Mox Ruby, Mox Pearl, Phrexian Walker, Vizzerdrix, Kird Ape, Polar Kraken, Zuran Orb, Rootwater Thief

turgy22

Nothing Special
Right. I always forget about the painlands.
Untap.
Upkeep, remove the last counter from the bloom and play it.
What the heck; let's go nuts.
I'll sac the Bloom for 3 red mana and play Wheel of Fortune.
Let me know when you have your cards.

Turgy22
Hand: 7
In Play

Graveyard: Swords to Plowshares, Coastal Tower, Lotus Bloom, Wheel of Fortune

BigBlue
In Play

Graveyard: Sinkhole

B

BigBlue

Go ahead and start when you're ready. I'll get them figured out before I come back to the thread.