Topdeck: Turgy22 vs. BigBlue

turgy22

Nothing Special
FYI - I'm not sure if you're aware but I draw a card during your upkeep with the Bauble. Let me know if this changes anything.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Okay, well at the end of your turn, I'm going to play Piracy Charm, targetting you.

Discard a card.

B

BigBlue

suck...

Play abeyance targetting you, Draw a card, Discard Dodecapod which comes into play w/ 2 +1/+1 counters. I take a mana burn.

Instant discard is just wrong... and the fact they made a Blue version sucks...

turgy22

Nothing Special
You probably won't like my next move, either.
Untap.
Upkeep, remove my last counter and play Ancestral Vision, drawing 3 cards.
Draw.
Play Darksteel Citadel. Tap both of my lands for green mana.
Play Channel.
Pay 6 life for 6 colorless mana and play Mindslaver (<--- Will be banned shortly).
Pay 4 life for 4 colorless mana to activate the Mindslaver.
End my turn.

Start your turn.
Untap. Draw.
Play Spoils of the Vault, naming Birds of Paradise.
Your library gets removed from the game and you lose about 9000 life.

Turgy22
Life: 10
Hand: 1

In Play
(T) Salt Marsh (T: Add U or B; This CIP tapped)
(T) Darksteel Citadel (T: Add 1; Indestructible)
(U) Nether Spirit (2/2; At the beginning of my upkeep, if this is the only creature in my GY, I may return it to play.)

Graveyard: Riftstone Portal (lands I control have T: Add G or W), Mental Note, Mox Jet, Mishra's Bauble, Ancestral Vision, Channel, Mindslaver
RFG: Ancestral Recall, Ancient Den, Arcanis the Omnipotent, Assert Authority, Basking Rootwalla, Black Lotus, Blackmail, Blue Elemental Blast, Chromescale Drake, City of Brass, Cloud of Faeries, Coastal Tower, Crash, Crucible of Worlds, Daze, Delif's Cone, Denying Wind, Duress, Elfhame Palace, Elvish Spirit Guide, Fastbond, Flare, Foil, Force of Will, Grinning Totem, Instill Energy, Island, Jester's Cap, Jeweled Amulet, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lotus Bloom, Lotus Petal, Molten Rain, Mountain, Mox Ruby, Mox Sapphire, Nantuko Shaman, Pact of Negation, Propoganda, Shattering Spree, Snap, Sokenzen Renegade, Sol Ring, Sparkmage Apprentice, Strip Mine, Swords to Plowshares, Thoughtcast, Time Spiral, Time Walk, Tolarian Academy, Traumatize, Twincast, Twitch, Underground Sea, Vault of Whispers, Vizzerdrix, Volcanic Island, Welding Jar, Wheel of Fortune, Yawgmoth's Will, Ichorid; Haakon, Stromgald Scourge; Spirit of the Night; Stinkweed Imp; Memory Sluice

BigBlue
Life: -8980
Hand: 0
In Play

(Ench) Land Tax (At the beginning of my upkeep if I control fewer lands than you I search for up to 3 basic lands, reveal them, and put them in my hand)

(U) Plateau (T: W or R)
(T) Darigaaz's Caldera (T: R, G, or B; when ~ cip, return a non-lair land to your hand or sac ~)
(U) Sol Ring (T:2)

(U) Dodecapod (5/5; has two +1/+1 counters)

Graveyard: Tormod's Crypt, Smash, Tranquil Thicket
Removed from Game: Ancestral Recall, Ancestral Vision, Balance, Basking Rootwalla, Birds of Paradise, Black Lotus, Blight, Burnout, Burnt Offering, Counterspell, Crumble, Culling the Weak, Dark Ritual, Daze, Diabolic Edict, Elvish Spirit Guide, Foil, Force of Will, Forest, Fork, Gaea's Cradle, Ice Storm, Icequake, Island, Kird Ape, Lightning Bolt, Lion's Eye Diamond, Lotus Bloom, Memory Lapse, Molten Rain, Mox Jet, Mox Pearl, Mox Ruby, Needlebug, Overload, Personal Tutor, Phrexian Walker, Polar Kraken, Rain of Tears, Rancid Earth, Rootwater Thief, Simian Spirit Guide, Sinkhole, Snow Forest, Stone Rain, Strip Mine, Swords to Plowshares, Taiga, Time Walk, Timetwister, Tolarian Academy, Tropical Island, Underground River, Urza's Bauble, Urza's Rage, Vizzerdrix, Volcanic Island, Wasteland, Wheel of Fortune, Winter's Grasp, Wonder, Yawgmoth's Will, Zuran Orb

B

BigBlue

Well - I don't believe your "choices" should include what I draw. But, either way good match.

I'd like to try this again sans the banned cards - however I'm sure you'll school me again. Sorry I wasn't a better match for you.

The multi card draws kill the format for sure. every time you can play one, you can get the most convoluted combo to go off. When I was searching for cards in Gatherer, I was shocked to see how many "cheap" cards there are.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Yeah, good match. I really didn't plan to do such evil things, but when the opportunity came up, I thought it'd be fun to try.

I interpretted the rules to mean that the draw is a decision made by the player each time and if I'm controlling your turn, I would control that decision as well. Do you want to replay it with you choosing the card I draw?

If not, I'm definitely up for a new match, removing the banned cards. I really don't expect to win so decisively, though. I think I just found all the degenerate combos first and most of those won't work without the banned cards. I'm still in favor of limiting the maximum hand size to 1 card at all times. I think it's a quick and easy fix to kill any combos without having to remember a list of banned cards. Although obviously Traumatize will still need to be out and Mindslaver as well, depending on who decides the draw.

B

BigBlue

Start a new thread, I'll still draw first if you don't mind.

Play will be Tropical Island, Birds of Paradise. (So You can go twice)

Another potential combo fix could be "All players and libraries have Shroud." I'm just not sure if that's too restrictive or not. I don't want to completely change the game... But it could be too powerful in legacy form.