Time Spiral Previews

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So they decided Teferi was no longer a planeswalker? Or did they decide that planeswalkers can also be cards? And why does Teferi suck so much?

Tag Guard

O

orgg

The "Plainswalker" cards are from the "time before they became Plainswalkers."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
orgg said:
The "Plainswalker" cards are from the "time before they became Plainswalkers."
Ah. Hence the whole "time spiral" thing. Will there be any others aside from Teferi?

Tag Guard

S

sageridder

I like the Teferi card.Drop him on on opponets eot and just keep enough mana open to protect him on thier turn.He gives himself and you protection from spells on your turn.The flash on all your creatures could make some nice combat tricks.5 for a 3/4 in blue isn't that bad either.Could be real good in multi player and 2 headed giant.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
In multiplayer, I'd think you'd paint a big target all over yourself as soon as he hit the board. Might be nice for two-headed giant, though.

Tag Guard

G

Gizmo

Oversoul said:
So they decided Teferi was no longer a planeswalker? Or did they decide that planeswalkers can also be cards? And why does Teferi suck so much?

Tag Guard
Suck?

You're joking, right? A 3/4 instant-speed guy for 5 is pretty decent anyway (Beast Attack was green and gave you a 4/4 vanilla) before you factor in just how much your opponent not being able to respond to anything you do will hurt him. He's a beating and WILL see play in control blue decks that don't like tapping out. Don't forget you can tap out to play him at end of their turn and if he hits play they can't kill it at instant speed because of his ability.

L

Limited

The only thing I don't like about Teferi is that the keyword has been named Flash..

It should have been SURPRISE!

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Gizmo said:
Suck?

You're joking, right? A 3/4 instant-speed guy for 5 is pretty decent anyway (Beast Attack was green and gave you a 4/4 vanilla) before you factor in just how much your opponent not being able to respond to anything you do will hurt him. He's a beating and WILL see play in control blue decks that don't like tapping out. Don't forget you can tap out to play him at end of their turn and if he hits play they can't kill it at instant speed because of his ability.
I know blue control decks would like that ability, but five mana just seems like too much. Maybe I'm neglecting that you can drop it at the end of your opponent's turn. But against a non-control deck, if I can actually play this thing and keep it out, I probably would have won anyway. And against another control deck, there are too many times when it might be a dead card (although I guess having FoW fodder doesn't hurt). I know I wouldn't use him in any of my blue control decks unless they were highlander.

Tag Guard

N

Nightstalkers

Jaya seems to be a stern card. She works well along side a Grim Lavamancer. Her pistol and shotgun aren't too bad, but the bazooka isn't too great as it costs so much, but I'm sure it'll have it's work arounds as it's something to work up to... and hopefully unleash before your opponent blasts the bloody piss out of her.

Serra Avenger isn't all that grand. 2 mana angel that can be only cast after turn 3 defeats the purpose of the mana cost... but I'm sure it's great fodder for these spiffy young weenie decks if nothing else.

FYI: I'm so screwed with this block, so many legends to get and in foil as well.

Has always been one of my fav. flavor texts:
"Eenie, meenie, minie, moe . . . oh, why not all of them?"
—Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

L

Limited

Jaya is brilliant! A spellshaper for Incinerate is just insane, and the inferno might just come in handy sometimes.

I don't like the Serra Avenger though. Brilliant art and brilliant stats aside, the 'not-an-early-drop' means that she'll still be taking a 4cc slot on a deck. And being 3/3 brings her in range of a lot of removal.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
On the Serra Avenger: Yeah, you can't play her early. But, she does give control decks something to do on there own turn 4. Drop a decent-sized flier/blocker and still have mana to counter.

Ransac, cpa trash man

R

rokapoke

Nightstalkers said:
Serra Avenger isn't all that grand. 2 mana angel that can be only cast after turn 3 defeats the purpose of the mana cost... but I'm sure it's great fodder for these spiffy young weenie decks if nothing else.

So I don't know about the rest of the gang here, but I for one have no interest in watching my opponent drop 2 of these bad boys (girls?) on turn 4. Ten or eleven of his 60 cards have seen his hand, if he's got a four-of in there (in mono-white), there's a decent chance of having a pair in hand.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I agree with rokapoke here. I don't think it's a great card, but it certainly fills a need in white weenie decks: a late-game beater to keep up the tempo. Weenie decks have a ton of other cards to play on turns 1-3: Isamaru, Savanna Lions, Skyhunter, Mistral Charger, etc... The angels can just sit back and wait to finish things up when the rest of the weenies start getting killed or blocked.

In fact, I'm thinking a lot of people wouldn't want to play these until after turn 4 anyway. They'll certainly help a WW deck recover from a Wrath very quickly.

Tag Guard