The Ultimate Magic Draft

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you can trust someone who isn't picking your colors or give it to a neutral party, like Mooseman or Limited.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
C'mon Spidey! It's YOUR turn!

Man, you'd think the guy was never on during the weekend...

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As the draft is wrapping up, I forgot if we talked about how the tourney is going to be run. Is it swiss? Round-robin? Single-elimination?

turgy22

Nothing Special
Spiderman said:
As the draft is wrapping up, I forgot if we talked about how the tourney is going to be run. Is it swiss? Round-robin? Single-elimination?
Since we have 8 people, it's going to be single elimitation to keep things easy.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Doesn't a Swiss take about the same amount of actual rounds as a single-elimination? I know it might take a bit more time, but not THAT much more...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
It is the same amount of rounds (if there is no playoff for the swiss), but everyone gets to play each round in swiss. Single Elim can be 1 and done.......

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I think we'd better do swiss. We've been working on this draft for a LONG time. It'd be very disappointing to go out on a bad draw or land screw or whatever.

I vote Swiss.

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DarthFerret

Seconds the vote for swiss (cause I know I will get eliminated before even oversoul!)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Ransac said:
I think we'd better do swiss. We've been working on this draft for a LONG time. It'd be very disappointing to go out on a bad draw or land screw or whatever.

I vote Swiss.

Ransac, cpa trash man
You still play each match until someone wins 2 games. It's not 1 game and done.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Mooseman said:
You still play each match until someone wins 2 games. It's not 1 game and done.
Yeah, but I still want to battle it out for 7th place with DarthFerret, hence the call for a Swiss-style tournament. :p

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Sorry Ransac, but you're probably going to need bad luck or some foolish mistakes to get 7th place. I'd rank you 5th place or better at this point. But we'll see when the tournament starts...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Didn't someone drop out of this? If so, that will give someone a bye in each round. The battle for 7th place could hinge on who gets the round 1 bye..... hehe

turgy22

Nothing Special
When I said single elimination, I simply meant that if you lose in the first round, you can't win the whole draft. Of course, we can still pair up people with identical records and play through to the end. But typically, when I think of Swiss, I think of 7 rounds with a top 8 single elimination, which would obviously be pretty pointless. If anyone's feeling particularly adventurous, we could do a round robin, where everyone plays everyone else once and then the top 4 records square off. I'm with you guys in that I'd like to get the most play out of my deck, but regular bracket tournaments are the easiest to organize.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm fine with whatever decision the group makes, but would still like to play my deck at least once against all of the others, whether it's official or just for fun :)