The Ultimate Magic Draft

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Divide his cards? He still may come back!

AND, if we do decide to exclude him from this point on, I say we merely remove his cards from the draft entirely.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I have both of the Yawgmoth cards! I was worried that it might be a mistake to pick up Bargain and then go for other cards without picking up Will, but it would appear I got both anyway...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You might not have if Zigathon was able to pick...

So what was the decision regarding absent players if the draft comes around to their turn again? Drop them from the draft? Let them pick up at that point with only their current turn and pick all of their catch-up picks at the end?

But I totally agree that their cards are unavailable to others now.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
You know, I hadn't thought of that concept, Spidey. Let them draft their missed picks at the very end of the draft. In some ways, THAT can be an advantage. Let's say you've missed five or six picks. It's the end of the draft and you have wanted to suprise everyone. You draft rebels with all of those picks and, since no one saw it coming, you don't have to worry about others drafting them to spite you.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It's has its benefits and drawbacks. It could happen like you say but since this is Singleton and you're waiting for the last player to draft, I would think most of the "good" cards are gone and you're kind of left with the dregs (depending on how many other people are using the same colors, of course). Which is why we should probably make a decision now...

turgy22

Nothing Special
Oversoul said:
I have both of the Yawgmoth cards! I was worried that it might be a mistake to pick up Bargain and then go for other cards without picking up Will, but it would appear I got both anyway...
No you just have to pick up Yawgmoth's Edict to complete the cycle.

As far as what to do about absent players... I think once they miss their pick, we shouldn't give them a full week anymore until they check in again. Once they check in, they lose all their picks from previous rounds. I have no problem letting them make up all the missed picks at the end... I'll have already grabbed the cards I want. But I also think if you miss so many rounds, you should be dropped. I understand if Zigathon has limited internet access for a week or two, but if he misses more than a few rounds, I don't want to see him just wait until the end and pick up 10-20 cards. He wouldn't have a great deck to work with, but it still defeats the whole purpose of this draft.

L

Lythand

I say if you miss your pick, you have to wait till the end. I say you miss more then 3 picks, your dropped. Any cards accumulated by that person ..at the end of all drafting should go back into a new pool. Then I think we should do like a bonus round with those cards. First decide a new picking order, and then let who ever is first to start. that person can pick a card previously drafted, or pass. IF...they pick, they must give up a card they chose. Putting it into the pool.. So player two can pick from whats left.

This ensures fairness, and allows each player a Pick of somekind. And allows to keep the draft at 45 cards.

If it were to be determined his cards would be pooled now, then whos ever turn it is when the descision is made has an advantage. If you were going to do that then I would wait till my turn and choose not to pick till a decision is made on the cards giving me first pick at his cards. I think my way gives a sort of random fairness.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Lythand said:
I say if you miss your pick, you have to wait till the end. I say you miss more then 3 picks, your dropped.
That wouldn't be at all fair toward Zigathon, who is the person in question anyway. When he misses a pick, he misses two picks at once, by default.

L

Lythand

Give him one week for each pick. He would essentially have 2 weeks straight.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I hope he gets that message I left him on myspace to let him know that his draft status was up.

Anyway, I don't believe that putting his cards up for draft in a pool works. He was going heavy black. Not all of us will want any of that, so for us to have to draft from the pool is a punishment almost.

I say that if we drop him, we just drop his cards in total.

Give him until he misses his next two or four picks (his next one of two times) and we'll vote on dropping him then.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I like combining Lythand's and Ransac's idea that if you've missed 3 picks, you should be dropped. It's tough, but it's not really fair to the other players who are waiting on you and check in every day. Just wait until the next draft :)

And the cards should be out of the pool.

Someone could take over if they like those cards and think they can do something with them, I guess...

L

Limited

Do you need me to make random/funny picks for the slackers?

That way, they can join in later on with a slightly less powerfull cardpool..

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As amusing as that might be, if they DO come back during their second picks, they might not be happy with your first set of picks... so maybe not :)

L

Limited

Whats the alternative?
Waiting until somebody dies of old age
Letting them have no card (in which case, a pick from me wouldn't be that bad)
Letting them pick a card afterward (could actually be an advantage)

Okay, I'm out.
But I could add a playable card which just doesn't help them to much to keep it fair to the other players..

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
You know guys, dropping him in a few rounds may be a blessing, considering we have 9 instead of 8. It would drop us down to typical draft format and we could have a better structured tournament, with no one having byes.

If we do drop him, just drop him. No replacements.

Ransac, cpa trash man