The "Let's Design a Set Together" Game

D

DarthFerret

If you leave it as is, it is sorta like a glorified Vesuvan Doppleganger...

Z

Zigathon

In the process of moving I'd forgotten about this thread...

Leeway – Submitted by Zigathon (name by Limited)
1U
Instant
Counter target spell, then shuffle it into its controller's library.
That spell's controller may draw a card.
Common

Right on, Limited. I looked up the definition of Leeway and it fits the mechanic of the card perfectly. I was thinking it should be placed at Uncommon though.

Brainsaw works to help aggro decks sustain "fuel" as well as punishing control. There will always be at least one card in your hand, and you'll take one damage. And it should be changed to:

Brainsaw 4
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her for each card in hand more than four.
If that player has no cards in hand, that player draws a card and Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her.

I'm sure the wording is pretty bad... I tend to do a lot of drinking while tinkering with the set I'm working on... Speaking of which, here are a few more cards:

Strength From Soil XGGG
Sorcery
Put X +1/+1 counters divided among any number of target creatures you control.
Rare

Final Charge 3RR
Sorcery
Play Final Charge only during your second main phase.
Untap all creatures you control. You get another attack phase.
After that phase, sacrifice all creatures you control. Your turn ends.
Rare

Unholy Battlefield 2BB
Enchantment
Whenever a creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, that creature's controller loses 1 life.
Rare

Time Paradox 3UU
Sorcery
Take another turn after this one.
Rare

Scales of Justice 2WWW
Sorcery
Each player counts their permanents.
Then each player sacrifices permanents they control until they share an equal amount of permanents with the player that controls the fewest.
Rare

Fusebreaker 2
Artifact
Whenever a player taps a nonland permanent for mana, destroy that permanent. It cannot be regenerated.
T: Add 3 to your mana pool.
Rare

I'll be combing over this thread a lot... its very interesting.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Zigathon said:
Time Paradox 3UU
Sorcery
Rare
And:

Seal of Time
1UU
Enchantment
Sacrifice ~, take another turn after the end of your turn.

Zigathon said:
Final Charge 3RR
Sorcery
Rare
How about:
Untap all creatures you control. You get a second attack phase this turn.
After the second attack phase, sacrifice all creatures you control. Your turn ends.

I like this card, I'm just allowing players to screw up and cast it before their first attack phase and not getting to untap their creatures before the second attack phase.

I like the the Leeway card and the shuffling back into the library mechanic.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Hmm....... Time Paradox is pretty much Time Warp.

Seal of Time..... I like it a lot. But I think it's a bit undercosted. I only cost U more than Time Walk and it's the same mana as Second Chance (without any stipulation). I think the casting cost would be more suited towards 4 mana with even more mana requirement. like 1UUU, or something.

I think Leeway is a keeper. That's a great card.

Zigathon said:
Brainsaw 4
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her for each card in hand more than four.
If that player has no cards in hand, that player draws a card and Brainsaw deals 1 damage to him or her.
I would word it like this.

Brainsaw 4
Artifact (Bling-Bling!)
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Brainsaw deals X damage to that player, where X is the number of cards greater than four in his or her hand.

I looked at the current wording for Black Vise for reference on this. I like this card. However...... I think it may be OVERcosted. I'm thinking 3 would be plenty for this. You're tweeking Black Vise and adding 3 mana to it. However, you're already adding the possibility of letting them draw a card, which I think balances it out. Plus, there is a fair percentage of the time were this card may do nothing. I say reduce the cost to 3.

Scales of Justice seems fine. Once again, I'm focusing on the casting cost. I don't see this card ability to be powerful enough to warrent three mana requirements. Balancing Act only required 2 (and one less mana). I agree that it should be 5 mana, as you could sacrifice everything and then drop the bomb. But, I think that 3WW would suit it fine.

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

Mooseman said:
Void Monster
2BB
2/2
~ gets +1/+0 for each swamp RFG

Echo from the Void
2R
Sorcery
Return target opponents card to their hand that is RFG. ~ deals damage to target creature or player equal to the returned cards converted mana cost.
I get the feeling we should stay away from the amount of cards that are removed from the game, because I don't know if there is a zone distinction between what is removed from the game and your binder in you backpack :)

Perhaps something like:
Void Creeper 2BB
Creature - Horror
Swampsight - +2/+1 and fear (if a Swamp card was removed from the game this game, ~ gets +2/+1 and fear)
2/2

I like the Echo of the Void..

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Scales of Justice – Submitted by Zigathon
2WWW
Sorcery
Then each player sacrifices permanents they control until they share an equal amount of permanents with the player that controls the fewest.
Rare

Shield of the Void - Submitted by mooseman
2W
1/2
~ gets +0/+1 for each Plain RFG.

Seal of Time – submitted by mooseman
1UU
Enchantment
Sacrifice ~, take another turn after the end of your turn.

Time Paradox – Submitted by Zigathon
3UU
Sorcery
Rare

Viod Spike - Submitted by mooseman
1U
Instant
Counter target spell that has a converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of cards RFG.

~Black Enchantment 1~ - Submitted by Ransac
2BBB
Enchantment
When ~Black Enchantment 1~ comes into play, you may pay X. Put X plague counters on ~Black Enchantment 1~
All creatures have –X/-X, where X is equal to the amount of plague counters on ~Black Enchantment 1~.

~Card Name 5~ - Submitted by Ransac
2B
Instant
Self-Inflict (When you cast this spell, choose target player. That player controls this spell.)
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. Lose 2 Life.

~BC1~ - Submitted by Ransac
B
During your upkeep, if ~BC1~ is in your graveyard, you may return it to play.
Whenever you have 4 or more creatures in your graveyard, you may remove ~BC1~ and all creatures in your graveyard from the game. If you do, search your library or hand for a ~BC2~ and put it into play.
2/2

~BC2~ - Submitted by Ransac
4BB
During your upkeep, if ~BC2~ is in your graveyard and ~BC1~ has been removed from the game, you may return ~BC2 to play.
Whenever you have 8 or more creatures in your graveyard, you may remove ~BC2~ and all creatures in your graveyard from the game. If you do, search your library or hand for a ~BC3~ and put it into play.
4/3

~BC3~ - Submitted by Ransac
6BB
If ~BC3~ is put into your graveyard from play, return it to play at the end of turn.
At the beginning of each upkeep and if a ~BC1~ and ~BC2~ have been removed from the game, you may return target creature from the “removed-from-game” zone into play.
5/5

Void Monster - Submitted by mooseman
2BB
2/2
~ gets +1/+0 for each swamp RFG

Unholy Battlefield – Submitted by Zigathon
2BB
Enchantment
Whenever a creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, that creature's controller loses 1 life.
Rare

Echo from the Void - Submitted by mooseman
2R
Sorcery
Return target opponents card to their hand that is RFG. ~ deals damage to target creature or player equal to the returned cards converted mana cost.

Goblin Rock Thrower – Submitted by mooseman
2R
1/1
T: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
Whenever a land card is put into any graveyard , you may untap ~.
or
Whenever a land card is RFG , you may untap ~. This kinda goes with the landcasting in this set.

Goblin Scattershot - Submitted by mooseman
1RR
1/1
R,T, Sacrifice a creature: ~ deals damage equal to the sacrificed creature’s power divided as you choose among two or more target creatures and/or players. ~ deals 1 damage to you.

Final Charge – Submitted by Zigathon
3RR
Sorcery
Rare
Alternate wording by mooseman:
Untap all creatures you control. You get a second attack phase this turn.
After the second attack phase, sacrifice all creatures you control. Your turn ends.

Strength From Soil – Submitted by Zigathon
XGGG
Sorcery
Put X +1/+1 counters divided among any number of target creatures you control.
Rare

Void Pack – submitted by mooseman
2G
2/2
Remove target card in your hand from the game, ~ gets +1/+1 until EOT.

Fusebreaker – Submitted by Zigathon
Artifact
Whenever a player taps a nonland permanent for mana, destroy that permanent. It cannot be regenerated.
Rare

~Blue Base Spell 1~ - Submitted by Ransac
4RUG
Instant
Return all creatures to their owner’s hand. Then, put X 1/1 green/white ~creature~ tokens into play under your control, where X is equal to the number of creatures returned to their owner’s hand

Quaren-Master of Mutation – Submitted by Lythand
2 U/B U/B U/B U/B
1/1
Legendary Shapeshifter
UB(Tap) Quaren-Master of Mutation Becomes the copy of target creature already in play
UU Quaren-Master of Mutation Gains one of the following abilities till the end of turn First Strike, Flying, Trample, Haste
BB Quaren-Master of Mutation Gets +1/+1 till the end of turn

~Red Base Spell 1~ - Submitted by Ransac
XWRU
Sorcery
~this~ cannot be countered or targeted by any spells or abilities.
~This~ deals X +1 damage divided any way you choose among any number of target creatures or players. Whenever a creature is sent to the graveyard in the same turn it was damaged by ~This~, remove it from the game.

Bridge to the Void - Submitted by mooseman
Land
T: Add 1 to your mana pool
T: for one mana of a color any land RFG could produce.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Number of cards:
White - 12
Blue - 13
Black - 17
Red - 20
Green - 9
Artifacts - 5
Gold - 15
Land - 5

Total - 96 cards submitted

L

Limited

Lythand said:
Quaren-Master of Mutation
U/B U/B U/B U/B 2 (Wanted to take advantage of the new color casting theme)
Legendary Shapeshifter
UB(Tap) Quaren-Master of Mutation Becomes the copy of target creature already in play
UU Quaren-Master of Mutation Gains one of the following abilities till the end of turn First Strike, Flying, Trample, Haste
BB Quaren-Master of Mutation Gets +1/+1 till the end of turn
1/1
I am not sure, but I think in copying some other creature it loses the UU and the BB ability.. is that intentional?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I wouldn't think that's intentional, considering the casting cost.

Wow.... I'm just on a Casting Cost craze today.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Updating the mechanics we've been using. We've now come up with 10 mechanics and 2 themes (well, 3 if you include the Evolution creatures). We should probably brainstorm cards for a little while longer before we start selecting which mechanics we keep.

How many mechanics do you guys think we should keep? I personally am a fan of "less is more," and believe that too many mechanics (more than 3 or 4) makes the set look like a bunch of random ideas through together.... which IS what we're doing now, but I imagine we'll create some continuity later.

Landcast X: You may remove X land cards in your hand from the game instead of paying this card's casting cost.

Bleeding: Whenever a creature is dealt combat damage by ~, the creature gets X -1/-1 counters and ~ gets X +1/+1 counters.

Stirge: Whenever ~ deals combat damage to something, put a +1/+1 counter on it and it becomes an aura with some ability.
this is more like the licid ability

Opponent's Choice (as on "unrhystic" spells): The spell has one effect unless the opponent pays some mana for a second, lesser effect.

Land Echo: Return a land to your hand, then do it again during your next upkeep. Same as Echo, but with land bouncing.

Double Tap: ~ comes into play tapped and doesn't untap during your next untap step.

Kickback X: (At the beginning of your upkeep put X +1/+1 counters on ~ unless you pay mana equal to ~'s converted mana cost. At the end of your turn, you lose a life for each +1/+1 counter on ~)

Random Mechanic X: If you paid (selected number) or more different colors of mana to play this spell, you may (insert effect).

Self-Inflict: When you cast this spell, choose target player. That player controls this spell. This spell is treated as if it were played by that player.

Devout: ~this~ cannot be the target of spells or abilities controlled by players other than ~this~’s controller.

Themes:

Capricious: When the card comes into play, put cards on top of your library.
More of a theme and an extra cost

Switch: Two things get switched. Too many examples to be specific.
Not really a mechanic as much as a theme

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I vote to make the Landcast a mechanic to focus on.
The Landecho can be limited to just 1 or 2 land types.
Keep the stirge limited to 3 or 4 cards only.

There should be 1 or 2 other main mechanics.
(Opponents Choice and self-inflict may be able to work together)

I like all 3 themes and they should be used to support the mechanics.

Just my random thoughts.

L

Limited

Ransac said:
Black Cycle:
~BC1~
2BB
During your upkeep, if ~BC1~ is in your graveyard, you may return it to play.
Whenever you have 4 or more creatures in your graveyard, you may remove ~BC1~ and all creatures in your graveyard from the game. If you do, search your library or hand for a ~BC2~ and put it into play.
2/2
CRAZY BROKEN! Seriously; Nether Spirit is a great card and this, for just one mana more doesn't have the severe drawback that keeps Nether Spirit in check. Moreover, it has an added ability which wouldn't even matter if it didn't fetch:

Ransac said:
~BC2~
4BB
During your upkeep, if ~BC2~ is in your graveyard and ~BC1~ has been removed from the game, you may return ~BC2 to play.
Whenever you have 8 or more creatures in your graveyard, you may remove ~BC2~ and all creatures in your graveyard from the game. If you do, search your library or hand for a ~BC3~ and put it into play.
4/3
...this RIDICULOUSLY BROKEN card. True, this one isn't as nasty as the other one (I'm assuming they are both worded wrong and you meant "At the beginning of your upkeep, if ...") because you have to remove the other one from the game. Which, if it didn't have the ability to do that on its own, wouldn't be that hard to accomplish.
So now we have a 4/3 that comes back for free every turn. Fortunately, it has an added ability which isn't very likely to be useful in a deck not totally dedicated to it. Just for laughs though, lets look at the card you could be able to fetch..

Ransac said:
~BC3~
6BB
If ~BC3~ is put into your graveyard from play, return it to play at the end of turn.
At the beginning of each upkeep and if a ~BC1~ and ~BC2~ have been removed from the game, you may return target creature from the “removed-from-game” zone into play.
5/5
ARGG! My brain is coming out of my ears!
It may cost eight mana, but animate it once and it never leaves! Oh, and if you use something to remove the other two from the game (say, dredge and Withered Wretch) you get any creature you removed from the game every turn.

Ransac said:
In addition to these, I was looking at the "Ragnarok" card that I suggested.

Ragnarok – Submitted by Ransac (name by mooseman)
3WRB
Sorcery
Destroy all lands in play. Target player loses life equal to the number of lands destroyed in this manner.

Mooseman said:
Destroy all lands in play. Each player loses life equal to the number of lands they control that are destroyed in this manner.
Personally, I like the original wording. I think that having to fulfill three color requirements is enough of a drawback. But, perhaps increasing the casting cost to 4RWB would be more balanced?
I've objected to this card before, and i'll do it again. Destroy all land effects are nasty as is, but this card also gives you an addtional bonus. Its hardly ever a drawback, meaning its already cardadvantage. Upping the mana-cost to seven mana means its slowly turning into a card like Insurrection.. an expensive I-win card.
Perhaps each player should have a choice?
"Each player either sacrifices all lands he or she controlsl, or loses life for each land he or she controls".
or
"Each player may sacrifice any number of lands. Then, each player loses 1 life for each land he or she controls"
or
"Destroy all lands. Target player loses a life for each Forest put into the graveyard in this way" and making it a four color spell (WBRU).. but I don't know if we want to incorporate color-hosing.

Ransac said:
~Blue Base Spell 1~
4RUG
Instant
Return all creatures to their owner’s hand. Then, put X 1/1 green/white ~creature~ tokens into play under your control, where X is equal to the number of creatures returned to their owner’s hand
More "I-win" spells. Ransac, you are such a Timmy

Ransac said:
~Red Base Spell 1~
XWRU
Sorcery
~this~ cannot be countered or targeted by any spells or abilities.
~This~ deals X +1 damage divided any way you choose among any number of target creatures or players. Whenever a creature is sent to the graveyard in the same turn it was damaged by ~This~, remove it from the game.
Huh? This one seems neatly balanced.. I think it could just deal X damage, but thats just flavor wise..

Ransac said:
SELF-INFLICT: When you cast this spell, choose target player. That player controls this spell.

Okay, the name may need a little work and the mechanic seems "huh?" But here me out and here's an example:

~Card Name 5~
2B
Instant
Self-Inflict

The first thing you (as the caster) must determine is WHO get to control the spell. Next, the eventual controller can weaken a creature BUT then that same controller will lose the 2 life. The card will still head to the original caster's graveyard (OR maybe not?).

THINK ABOUT IT! Depending on how we decide to word this mechanic, you can take a player out of his/her game. Suppose your opponent has an Arcane Laboratory in play. During your turn, cast this card and it'll count towards your opponents "1 per turn". Or, pick any enchantment in which the ability activates whenever an opponent plays a spell.
I like this kind of thinking and it has great potential in multiplayer, but i do have a ruling issue: playing a spell requires you to choose modes and targets first, and than costs and additional costs, and then it is put onto the stack. Getting an opponent to play "your" spell might prove very difficult. I am thinking something like :
"Self-Inflict: When ~ is put onto the stack, instead target opponent plays a copy of this spell. That player chooses new targets for the copy."

But I still have to skim the rest of the thread for other dwellings :)

Ransac said:
~Black Enchantment 1~
2BBB
Enchantment
When ~Black Enchantment 1~ comes into play, you may pay X. Put X plague counters on ~Black Enchantment 1~
All creatures have –X/-X, where X is equal to the amount of plague counters on ~Black Enchantment 1~.
Pretty cool. Bit expensive, but very effective.

And I never said you were lazy Ransac!

L

Limited

Zigathon said:
Leeway – Submitted by Zigathon (name by Limited)
1U
Instant
Counter target spell, then shuffle it into its controller's library.
That spell's controller may draw a card.
UNCommon

Right on, Limited. I looked up the definition of Leeway and it fits the mechanic of the card perfectly. I was thinking it should be placed at Uncommon though.
Yes, i used my thesaurus powers. And uncommon is fine for this card.

Brainsaw wording seems fine to me :)

Ziggy said:
Strength From Soil XGGG
Sorcery
Put X +1/+1 counters divided any way you choose among any number of target creatures you control.
Rare
Added 'any way you choose' . Solid card.

The Zigmeister said:
Final Charge 3RR
Sorcery
Rare
Why should the turn end? Is losing your creatures not punishment enough?

Ziggalicious said:
Unholy Battlefield 2BB
Enchantment
Rare
Cute. Doesn't need to be rare though, does it?

Move Zig for Great Justice said:
Time Paradox 3UU
Sorcery
Rare
Do we really need a Time Warp reprint?

Zigcerely said:
Scales of Justice 2WWW
Sorcery
Rare
Do we need another Balancing Act :) ?

Zignificant said:
Fusebreaker 2
Artifact
Rare
Wow. I love this card! I am kinda hesistant to change it, but I think it needs to cost three just so that the card doesn't add more mana than it costs.

L

Limited

Ransac said:
Self-Inflict: When you cast this spell, choose target player. That player controls this spell. This spell is treated as if it were played by that player.
"Self-Inflict: When ~ is put onto the stack, instead target opponent plays a copy of this spell. That player chooses new targets for the copy."

If you want to be able to play it yourself, it should probably be something like:

"Self-Inflict: When ~ is put onto the stack, you may have target opponent play a copy of this spell instead. That player chooses new targets for the copy."

or maybe it shouldn't say play; does this automatically remove choices made?

And I like the name Schizo for this :)

Drown in Blood XBB
Sorcery
Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn. You lose X life.
Schizo (When ~ is put onto the stack, you may have target opponent put a copy of this spell on the stack instead. That player chooses new targets for the copy)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
Limited, I think you missed the whole point of this mechanic. It gives control of the spell to taget player, so that player gets all the benifits and disadvantages when the spell resolves. Basically a triggered effect that when a spell is played target player gains control of it, since the effect can't resolve in the middle of a spell being cast, the trigger will go on the stack until after the spell is on the stack.

Playing a copy of the spell is not the intent of the mechanic.

More like: When ~ is played, target player gains control of ~.
For this example, the target is choosen and the costs are paid and the spell is on the stack, then the trigger goes on the stack, when trigger resolves, target player gain control of ~Card Name 5~ and when it resolves that player loses 2 life.
~Card Name 5~
2B
Instant
Self-Inflict

"This spell is treated as if it were played by that player." I'm not sure how this part is handled by the rules. Like Arcane Labratory and stuff. But the intent is there...... wording this may be tough.

L

Limited

Now I'm confused. According to your wording (target opponent gains control of ~) the opponent in question doesn't get to chose new targets. It would become very similar to
~Cardname 5b~ 2B
Instant
Target creature gets -2/-2 and target opponent (or rather, player) loses 2 life.

except that the Self-Inflict part helps you towards that players' storm count (not that there is something as a personal stormcount). Was that the intended purpose?

The way I worded it, you pay the mana costs, but then your spell can be replaced by a copy you give to your opponent, meaning they select a creature to target and they lose the life. Wasn't this what it was supposed to do?

:confused:

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Limited said:
The way I worded it, you pay the mana costs, but then your spell can be replaced by a copy you give to your opponent, meaning they select a creature to target and they lose the life. Wasn't this what it was supposed to do?
Sorry Limited. I missed the "Instead" part of your wording.
Yes that would work better. But why would you want to give them the choice of new targets? It would turn out to be; "opponent loses two life, and that opponent gives target creature -2/-2"
Maybe this mechanic isn't really that good.

L

Limited

If they can't choose new targets and they don't have to pay the mana-cost, the only reason to have them play it is for 'whenever an opponent plays a black spell' or something.

I liked giving an opponent a choice, but it is better served with a "target opponent loses two life and gives a creature of his or her choice -2/-2 until end of turn" instead of messing about with control over spells.

It's probably not worth it :(

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Maybe an Inflict mechanic that says something like.......

whenever B is paid cast this spell, target player loses x life or target creature gets -X/-X, where X is the number of B spent in the casting of this spell.......

Never on a balck spell.........

Just a thought. Did it spark any interest?