The Border Laws!

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
Is that because they don't have to deal with immigration or they just have a policy already in place?

I am fairly sure there is a lot of illegal immigration going on in Asia - pretty much anyone bordering North Korea. I think some are sent back but a lot are kept for the "cheap" labor (although there, I think it's akin to slavery).
I doubt North Korea has discussions about this. Mostly the governemnt does what it wants. It's not like they have elections.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not talking about North Korea, they're the ones losing the people. It'd be the surrounding countries, like China and South Korea. Being the only democracy, South Korea would probably be the best example.

E

evan d

"Want to get rid of the illegal immigrants? Raise the source country's standard of living so they don't feel the need to come here."

How would this work? Should the USA just pay money into every other country, or just mexico? How would doing this actually help mexico, which allready basically feeds off of the usa (if i remember right, isn't its two biggest exports people and drugs)?

IT'd just advocate making it impossible to enter, through a "physical barrier"

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
evan d said:
"Want to get rid of the illegal immigrants? Raise the source country's standard of living so they don't feel the need to come here."

How would this work? Should the USA just pay money into every other country, or just mexico?
That isn't what Spiderman is saying.

How would doing this actually help mexico, which allready basically feeds off of the usa (if i remember right, isn't its two biggest exports people and drugs)?
No. Mexico had an economic crisis over a decade ago, but its economy has been improving ever since. They do trade with the U.S., but they do not "feed off" us.

IT'd just advocate making it impossible to enter, through a "physical barrier"
That's even less likely than raising the standard of living in other countries. We live in a very large country. Even if sealing off all entrances were feasible (and it's not even close), Americans would not stand for it.

Killer Joe

Okay, so help me recap this topic just a bit:

1.) How are illegal immigrants directly hurting the USA?

2.) Would sending them back and/or sealing the borders improve our quality of life?

You know, if we start sending Mexicans back then I'm all for sending the Irish back next!

D

DarthFerret

I think it is mainly a question of numbers. More Hispanics can come here than Irish, or Russian, or [Pick your favorite immigrant here]. This is mainly because they can pretty much walk right on over, whereas most people cannot swim far enough to get here from other countries. So, do Hispanics (Mexicans whatever) hurt our economy more than any other immigrant? I am sure that the influx of people that exceeds projected population growth has a minute impact on economists (but who likes economists anyway?). If this really bothers you that so many are comming over, just keep in mind that if enough of them come over, thier army will be small enough we can crush them and then set up the State of Mexico as the 51st State of the Union. Next is Guatamala, Hondurus, Panama (we practically own them anyway), Belize, and the rest of the Central Americas. Then we will have to turn our attention to the illegal drugs comming out of Columbia and Venuzuela. We will bomb the horse-pucky out of them until we have to swoop in to rescue thier government. This will cause them to subject themselves to the Union as well. Then, Canada will fear us and bow at President Arnold Schwartzennegars feet, and we will turn our attention to the rest of South America. We will then cash in for our extra armies due to us for controlling all of North America, and South America, and invade Africa. We will set up a barrier in Alaska to protect us from those pesky Asians, and also in Greenland (which will finally become a real country by joining the United Western Nation of America). Our plan will be to take all of Africa in one fell swoop, thus granting us an extra 3 armies......

Oops...I kinda went into Risk mode for a second. .....

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
More Hispanics can come here than Irish, or Russian, or [Pick your favorite immigrant here].
Yes, but this was not necessarily true 100 years ago, which is what I think KJ is talking about. It's not too late to kick the Irish out (okay, so we might have to change a few pesky laws, but that's no problem). :p

E

EricBess

There are a couple of other considerations that, while not pretty, are nonetheless true...

It's harder to tell who's Irish and who isn't...It's a lot easier with the Mexicans.

Yeah, we are a nation of racists.

Seriously, though, my problem isn't with who the people are. It's what jobs they are doing and if those businesses are following proper laws to make that happen. Migrant Mexican workers tend to seeks employment from less reputable sources. It may also be the case that more reputable sources tend to avoid Mexican workers for fear of appearances. Reputable doesn't necessarily equate with ethical...

D

DarthFerret

Now that is a truth, and I think, would be pretty easy to start regulating a bit more. I think I said in an earlier post that I would like to see a little more enforcement when it comes to cross referencing SSN's given to employers by the employees. This should not be that daunting of a task considering the amount of technology we have now. If we can make a Coffee Pot that tells you good morning, why can't we make a secure database with a list of SSN's and keep it updated? If one person is shown to be working 6 full time jobs, at 360 hours + a week, I think that would probably put up a red flag huh? (Refering to one legal immigrant sharing his SSN with 5 Illegals, if you hadn't followed my logic on that one.)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
DarthFerret said:
If one person is shown to be working 6 full time jobs, at 360 hours + a week, I think that would probably put up a red flag huh? (Refering to one legal immigrant sharing his SSN with 5 Illegals, if you hadn't followed my logic on that one.)
Or a very busy person that can work multiple jobs at the same time... :p

Killer Joe

EricBess said:
There are a couple of other considerations that, while not pretty, are nonetheless true...

It's harder to tell who's Irish and who isn't...It's a lot easier with the Mexicans.
Hmm, me thinks your name used to be McBess, in which case I've read your torrid tale of betrayal in that Shakes-guy's book from several years back. :rolleyes:

I know how you can tell them apart; ask any suspect what kind of ale/beer they like to drink and if they answer with a simple "YES", then, aye, they be Irish! :D

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Killer Joe said:
Hmm, me thinks your name used to be McBess, in which case I've read your torrid tale of betrayal in that Shakes-guy's book from several years back. :rolleyes:
But Macbeth was Scottish...

D

DarthFerret

No problem, how was the vacation? Run into any illegals trying to get work...:D

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
NUMBER 1 THOUGHT FOR 2006 -

We know exactly where one cow with mad-cow-disease is located among the millions and millions of cows in America but we haven't got a clue as to where thousands of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located. Maybe we should put the Department of Agriculture in charge of immigration.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Actually, I thought the last time there was mad-cow disease in the US, they were unable to trace all of the parts where the disease might have come from - in other words, they knew the cow ate something containing the disease, but tracking down where that food came from and the source of THAT was near impossible.

So the Dept. of Agriculture is in the same boat :)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
DF: I finally found out some information and it doesn't look good.

Currently, employers are not allowed to check prospective employees SSNs to see if they're legal or not. Why? Because theoretically they could enter anyone's SSN in then and find out a bunch of information on them. They can only enter current employee SSN numbers.

There's a bit more too it, but that's it in a nutshell.