The Border Laws!

D

DarthFerret

Just wanted to get everyones take on the much disputed immigration reform preposals, and on the demonstrations (mainly picketing) performed by the "illegal" aliens that are already here.

I work in a Mexican Restaurant, and as far as I know, most of the guys there are here legitimately. They agree with me that the Mexican Flag should not be flown while protesting thier right to be in America. They also think that most of the reforms are not a good idea.

Personally, I think that we should really start enforcing the current immigration laws before we start creating new ones.

Te voy a aventar por la ventana!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Not really sure. I don't know all the specifics, but on the surface it seems to me that there's a reason why there's a difference between "legal" and "illegal". If the illegal immigrants get "what's being proposed" (which again, I'm not really sure what - citizenship? Health benefits?), what's the point of getting "legal" (naturalized?)

On the other hand, if "they're" only illegal strictly by a technicality and they pay taxes, contribute to society, etc., then it does make sense (although it still begs the question of why don't they go through the naturalization process).

It's a pretty complex issue.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, I honestly think that illegal immigrants should be returned to their country of origin, with exception. Like Spiderman said, it's one thing if they're paying taxes out of what they make and are actually contributing to society. That's fine. They should still go become legal citizens or begin the process to become lega citizens. My problem is with the immigrants that take jobs and work for much less than what they should be paid (not having taxes paid out). Employers are going to spend the least money they can, so of course they'll "hire" them. That takes jobs away from legal citizens that need those jobs (which is why unemployment was a big topic for a while). Also, I'm not too supportive of "day workers," those guys that line up on the street and just wait for somebody to pick them up for menial tasks all days for an undetermined fee. After watching a special on them, it turns out that a good bit of the money they make is sent back to their home country to support their family. Noble cause, but it's taking our money out of our country, and I don't support that.

Well, that's all for now.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ransac said:
My problem is with the immigrants that take jobs and work for much less than what they should be paid (not having taxes paid out). Employers are going to spend the least money they can, so of course they'll "hire" them. That takes jobs away from legal citizens that need those jobs (which is why unemployment was a big topic for a while).
The problem with this (and the day worker issue) is that frankly, there are legal citizens who don't take those jobs. If you ask the employers who hire the day workers/menial workers, I will bet that aside from spending less to pay them, they will tell you that no one else has come to fill those jobs and they have to hire who they can.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Some jobs they do, yes not many people want to do them (although if you look in the phone book, you'll probably find someone). But, people hire them to help with moving (when there are professional moving businesses), people hire them to tend their lawns (when there are professional gardeners), etc. Yes, it's cheaper for the consumer, but it takes money away from legal citizens that run professional companies. And if a restaurant needs dishwashers, they need look no further than the local music school. :D

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Plus, the illegals are taking jobs from those that went through the correct process and obtained their work visa. To give those who broke the law any kind of legality to stay or work in the US is a slap in the face to those who followed the law and are productive members of the US society.

Right KJ? hehe (I couldn't help taking a shot at my amigo)

Oh and the other question is, why isn't their country able to provide for them and they are "forced" to enter the US to look for work?

Does anyone realize that the workers from Mexico in the US that send money back home are becoming a major part of Mexico's economy? This could become the number one source of revenue for Mexico is the next few years. That is why this is such a big deal and I'm sure this administration will screw it up. (Not that any other administration wouldn't, but....)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ransac: Sorry, but I don't buy it. Again, with the examples you claim, it's really on the employer not to hire the illegals and find someone who is "legal" and I will say again that if you talk to anyone in that sort of business, they will tell you that it's very hard to find someone to fill those jobs for that line of work.

It's the simple law of supply and demand. There's a demand for paying as little as you can for a job and that translates to a demand for cheap labor. If the demand dried up, as in people hiring only those companies who hire "legal" labor, the cheaper companies hiring would go out of business. You have to start at the source, which is the general American consumer.

It's kinda similiar to drugs, actually.

Mooseman: I would bet that the people taking money out of the US is a "pittance" compared to the amount of money "locked" in the wealthy sector of the US.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
Mooseman: I would bet that the people taking money out of the US is a "pittance" compared to the amount of money "locked" in the wealthy sector of the US.
Not real sure where this is going, but it's not vs the US economy, but vs the Mexicain economy.
When Mexico's #1 source of revenue is the legal and illeagal workers in the US, you have a big issue and US policy can affect that revenue negatively and/or positively.

D

DarthFerret

I do not think that it is the fact that the illegals are doing jobs that legals won't do. They are just doing it for less. Mainly because they are availible, and do not have any taxes, SS, and other fees taken from thier pay. Also, I did hear on talk radio that the amount of money flowing into Mexico is somewhere in the 20-30 million dollar a year range. Sounds like a lot, but not nearly as much as it could be.

I think that we should concentrate on 2 major things.

#1. Dont reform the laws, just enforce the ones we have. Illegal Aliens are called "illegal" for a reason after all.

#2. Crack down on any employment given to a worker on the employers side of things. Make sure that all SS#'s are cross referenced with citezenship papers, and DL #'s.

I also wonder (just occured to me) how many legitamate Americans are involved in accidents (Automobile and otherwise) with illegals that have no Drivers License thus no insurance. How many people do not get the care/funds from these accidents, and all that happens is that the illegal immigrant is deported? Not that the new reform laws will help this topic out, but if we crack down on employers records, with the government footing most of the cost, I bet there would be a bit of a difference.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mooseman: It just seemed to me you were concerned about where money was going, as in NOT the average citizen's pockets. If that's the case, I was just saying that I'm willing to bet there's more money in the wealthy x% (1? 2?) US citizens than money going out to Mexico.

Which personally I don't see a big deal anyways because the money just helps those Mexican (I'm using that nationality as a catch-all right now since everyone else seems to be doing it) families raise their standard of living, meaning they can afford more things which may or may not be US goods.

DF: On the contrary, I do think it's labor legals won't do, for a variety of reasons. Ask around... I wonder if unemployment benefits are greater than what these menial jobs pay....

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
It may be more expensive to employ the American professional companies, but it's legal. What good is having cheap labor if the possibility of getting "busted" for harboring illegal immigrants looms over your head?

I know that I'm not going to change any opinions with my reasoning (or lack there of, whatever your opinion is), but I'm a firm believer that if you're living in this country and making money, you need to be a legal citizen or at least have your green card. Those are the laws and rules that we have implanted. Just because it's cost effective for the lower/middle class businesses doesn't justify the use of illegal sources. There's a reason why not everyone can't run their own business. And, no. I'm not condoning the 1% of the population that controls 99% of the wealth. But, that's the system in which our capitalist society works.

I bet you guys have figured out by now that I'm conservative :D

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Most companies don't hire illegal immigrants because of checks done by whatever regulatory commission.

But let's face it, in a land where Wal-Mart is the biggest retailer because people want stuff cheap, you're going have people wanting to pay the least they can for services. That in turn feeds the demand for companies who offer their work for cheap, which in turn feeds the demand for cheap labor.

If "you conservatives" want this to work, you need to address it at its source: the American people and their standard of living.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
But let's face it, in a land where Wal-Mart is the biggest retailer because people want stuff cheap, you're going have people wanting to pay the least they can for services. That in turn feeds the demand for companies who offer their work for cheap, which in turn feeds the demand for cheap labor.

If "you conservatives" want this to work, you need to address it at its source: the American people and their standard of living.

I'm no conservative, (Ask KJ), but the "Blame the American Comsumer" pitch is pure BS. As individuals, we can't control the lines of distribution or the wages, we can get together and try, nor, can each purchase be researched to see what was done and paid for the product to get it to that store. That's what we have a governement for.

BTW- Check out CNN, they goverment busted some company for using Illegals in their work force. But not to worry, this is just a "get tough" news bite to make them look like they are doing something........

Politicians - shoot them all and let God send them to H E double toothpicks...... :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, I think it's trying to stop the tide also, but frankly, you're never going to stop illegal immigration either. Just like the war on drugs or terrorism will ever be won, the way they're being handled now.

If you seriously want to stop something, you have to know WHY it occurs and follow the chain backwards until you get to the root cause. Maybe there's a further root cause behind the American consumer, although I'm not seeing it. It's just the way people in the US are brought up and how they hold their expectations of living (hey, maybe that's the root cause.... but good luck trying to fix that :) )

D

DarthFerret

Well, for the most part, I am conservative (can you tell yet?). However, I think this bunk about blaming American consumers is trash. It is the American Dream to attain the house with the 2.5 bedrooms and 1.6 bathrooms to house your wife and your 2.4 kids. With the economy in its current state, that means shopping the best price. However, if there can be regulations in place (and maintained as well!) about the way employers (or anyone with a business liscence for that matter) hire and pay thier employees, then some of the companies that hire "illegal" aliens will have to get rid of them and hire legitamate workers. Sure, it will take a few years for the economy to balance out, but wouldn't it be worth it to uphold the law?

The sad part to me is that these regulations are already in place, but there is very little enforcemtent going on. Like I said in the begining, lets start using the laws we have, instead of creating more laws for people to ignore.

I also think another problem with our economy is the way people hold on to (or dont in this case) thier jobs. My father worked at his company for over 35 years. In fact, he only ever worked for 2 different ones in his lifetime. (Radio Shack in college, and then Xerox for the 35 yrs.) I myself did not complete my college education (because I am a stupid dumb-OINK), and have bounced around different jobs for the last 10 years. Now I am working for a small restaurant, and plan on staying there until I can get my networking certificate, and enter the wonderful field of computers. I have been trying to talk my fiancee into staying with her current employer (Yes, I know...Wal-Mart) so that she can work her way up to a fairly good payscale, position, and benefits. I think looking back, if I could have stayed with the company I started working for in the first place (a large irrigation company) I would be making a lot more money, and be a lot more stable than I am at this moment. I think people need to look more for the long term solution rather than the quick fix, and if they do, they will be rewarded.

I know that was a bit off topic, but hey, it just came to me while writing the above...what can I say, I started this thread so I can diverge if I want to! :D

E

EricBess

DarthFerret said:
I also think another problem with our economy is the way people hold on to (or dont in this case) thier jobs. My father worked at his company for over 35 years. In fact, he only ever worked for 2 different ones in his lifetime. (Radio Shack in college, and then Xerox for the 35 yrs.) I myself did not complete my college education (because I am a stupid dumb-OINK), and have bounced around different jobs for the last 10 years.
That may or may not have any impact on the economy, but don't kid yourself into thinking that it has anything to do with your lack of college education or, for that matter, any lack of dedication.

No, I've seen studies on this. As for myself, I've worked for 5 different companies (one of them 3 different times), and had my own business for a couple of years. And I have a college degree.

Basically, any economic shift is also in part due to a shift is corporate attitude. It used to be that companies and employees had loyalty to each other. My dad did the same thing that your dad did.

Now days, you can be as loyal or disloyal as you like, but most (and I do mean most) employers aren't going to return that loyalty because they are all out to improve the bottom line. For example, we all know it's taboo to talk about how much you are getting paid, but in most cases, if you've been at your job for a few years, there is a good chance that people just now getting hired on at the same level you did back then are going to be getting paid more than you. Why? Because employers have learned that most people fear not having a job and don't go looking for a different job. They have no choice but to raise salaries for new employees, but existing employees are easy to placate with minimal, if any, raises.

It used to be that if you switched jobs often, it was a sign that you weren't focused. Now, it often means that your are a go-getter and you realize the only way to move up is to move on. Eventually, you end up in a position where have what you need to live on and/or are enjoying your job enough that you don't care that you might be able to make more elsewhere. If you are lucky, you end up in a position where the company has enough respect for you to be loyal and give you what you deserve.

Anyway, I realize that this is continuing Darth's "off topic" tangent.

Um...back on target...I'm of the opinion that anyone who wants to become a contributing member of society should be welcome in the country. But that means taxes, etc.

I'm all for going after the employers. Unfortunately, the situation gets really complicated really quickly. Fact of the matter is, most Americans don't want to work for the low wages that many immigrants will work for. At the same time, Americans have certain expectations on prices of goods which are based on the fact that competition forces certain industries into a position of hiring migrant workers or price themselves out of the market.

I think there are answers, but they involve adjusting expectations on what certain things cost, adjusting expectations on how much the business owners should be making, and targetting employers more than the immigrants to make sure rules are properly followed.

N

Nightstalkers

From what I've seen people usually switch their careers at least once in their lives...

Now to go study the example of my father... He went into the airforce, served a term or two, learned a bit about watchmaking from his uncle, got into college and became a teacher, taught in Oregon for a while....

Now he's been bouncing around from employer to employer for the rest of his days... Doesn't hold a job longer than a couple years mainly due to the illicit practices of the businesses he's involved with.

Real lark if you ask me...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, so far I'm in the same job I've started since graduating from college... of course, it is a government job... :)

Here's the thing. People in other countries have their dreams too. And if America happens to pay more than their own country offers, obviously that sounds like the better choice. To them, $7 an hour might be a windfall compared to the $1-2 they might earn at home (just throwing out numbers here, not sure of the actuals).

On a related note, the pay offered by all the companies concerned about their bottom line is also probably better than what they can earn "locally" (or at a "home-grown" company). So all of those low prices here are because the manufacturers can pay less to workers overseas compared to workers here.

It's all related.

Killer Joe

Mooseman said:
Plus, the illegals are taking jobs from those that went through the correct process and obtained their work visa. To give those who broke the law any kind of legality to stay or work in the US is a slap in the face to those who followed the law and are productive members of the US society.

Right KJ? hehe (I couldn't help taking a shot at my amigo)

Oh and the other question is, why isn't their country able to provide for them and they are "forced" to enter the US to look for work?

Does anyone realize that the workers from Mexico in the US that send money back home are becoming a major part of Mexico's economy? This could become the number one source of revenue for Mexico is the next few years. That is why this is such a big deal and I'm sure this administration will screw it up. (Not that any other administration wouldn't, but....)

HUH!? I friggin' grew up on the South Side of the 'Burgh and there ain't nothin' but Polocks, Ukranians and Irish there, and thay were ALL illegal, the whole LOT of them!

,...but the girls were cute :D