The Border Laws!

D

DarthFerret

I wonder if there is a way a committee? or whatever could be appointed to monitor all SSN's registered with the IRS and find the fraudulent ones that way. This way a persons identity could be kept intact, and secret, yet thier legality of citezenship or work visa in this country could be validated....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think in theory, a way could be found to do that, but I think the current systems are so convoluted that it'd be a massive re-haul. Plus, the IRS and SSA systems aren't linked so there's at least a day's lag to get each file updated...

H

HOUTS

The real problem isn't small businesses hiring hard working workers. It isn't their job to see if such a person has faked his/her social security card, renewed his/her 'green card', or any other falsified information. It isn't hurting businesses by hiring 'illegals', nor the customers they are serving.
We do not need the government monitering every business (and that is what they are doing with new bill passed) [Please read it].

The real issue is our border patrol. It is harder for a mexican/hispanic to enter to the U.S. legally than it is illegally. And then our repercussions for those who do, and are found out, aren't put on a high priority list.

Any other country in the world has walls or some sort of border control. We lack in this area for some unknown reason. We are practically allowing them to enter freely and then left wondering how come we have some many. If we are to say it is wrong to enter illegally, then we should make it hard for people to enter illegally. Why can't we protect our vital interests of our country by enforcing the laws prior to further complications? This is what truely boogles my mind.

D

DarthFerret

If they wanted to fix that though, it could easily be done.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think "easily". Look how long it's taking the IRS to overhaul their systems, and that's just within the agency. It's been going on for at least 6 years.

H

HOUTS

If they wanted to fix that though, it could easily be done."

"If"-They don't, nor are they concerned or should they be.
"Easily"-We barely could figure out what happened when a someone flew a plane into two New York buildings.
What is easy for any government facility? Or, more importantly, SHOULD it be done?
The answer here is "No".

E

evan d

killer joe-""1.) How are illegal immigrants directly hurting the USA?

2.) Would sending them back and/or sealing the borders improve our quality of life?""

1. supposedly immigrants take up jobs that current people can have, which i think is bogus. There is allways a job for someone if they want it bad enough, but who wants to ____ when you can get a free check in the mail.

1 b The other way is that the illegals don't pay tax money. Who can blame them for that? The business doesn't want to pay taxes either. Maybe thats because they thinks it is a waste of thier money, i.e. a poor investment.

2. sending back would just cost more tax money, and set a dangerous precendant. Sealling borders would close up a ginormous hole that terrorists can walk through (if one illegal mexican does one terrorist act, mexico would become the 51st state, but that might be good for them anyway.) I do however think the issue is more on race, because any rational person can see that open borders is more of a threat than what AT & T customers are taking about.

E

EricBess

I don't think the concern is so much that Mexicans are going to come over and commit terrorist acts. More to the point is whether or not the coyotes are willing to smuggle possible terrorist across the same way they bring Mexican laborers. As long as the money is there, why wouldn't they?

Buisinesses that don't pay taxes can be punished under US law. With illegals, all they get to do is kick them back over the border. If they made enough to pay the coyote to bring them back, then it's a good investment for them to take the chances.

The idea is to seal to border to make it harder for the coyotes. Then, they have to charge more and it is harder for the illegals to come across.

But I still think that it would be more effective to crack down on the people using the illegals. You don't really hear anything about what they are doing on that end of the fight.

I do agree that arguing that they are stealing our jobs is crap. I had a guy tell me about a situation in Spain where he needed a bunch of people to help him with a project. There was a group of people complaining that they couldn't get jobs, so he approached them and presented him plan and told them he was giving them all jobs. The basic attitude he got from them was, "thousands of people out there without jobs and you have to come and ask us to work." I think some people are just lazy and want to blame their problems on society while ignoring their own internal issues.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh, there was an interesting article yesterday in The Washington Post about illegal immigrants and taxes, but you can't read it online unless you create a (free) user account.

But the basic gist is while they do pay some sort of tax, although it might be less than a legal immigrant (or citizen). They aren't getting away with paying nothing.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul: A couple of months ago we were talking about a country's "standard of living". This isn't it, but some study of which country is the happiest. Of course, you then have to go find the study to see what the criteria was used, but since I just read it, it just jogged my memory about this.

And for those who don't want to click the link, Denmark is the happiest. The United States is 23rd. :)