Team-made set...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Transmute:
That re-wording is fine, but lets change the name to Convert.

Conversion of Natives:
This was orginally supposed to be a balanced version of control magic. Your version looks fine, but should cost 3UU with a reduction of U.

WillStone:
I figured it would be...activation 2 looks good!

Static Sphere:
Isnt the fun of making cards breaking out of the norm? Sure, it has a high toughness, but so what? It does need to be changed though:

Static Sphere 2R
Creature- Ball Lightning
Haste
If Static Sphere damages any creature, put a +X+X counter on Static Sphere, where X is equal to that creatures power.
0/4

About Cycles, or cards that share mechanics:
Lets seriously not overdo anything...a couple cards is cool, but two for every color?

S

Sammy Dead-O

I'll probably bring more. Do with them as you wish.

Sparking Skirge (2)(R)(B)
Creature - Elemental Horror
Trample, Haste
Whenever Sparking Skirge becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to each creature and each player.
4/2

Icebound Penguin (2)(U)
Creature - Illusion
Spells that target Icebound Penguin cost an additional R or G to play.
2/3

I also kinda like the name Hyperborean Penguin for the second one. Magic needs more penguins, eh?

D

Duster

I recommend we don't use Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon as card names, we can be more creative than that :)

"You don't wanna get SUED."
- Groundskeeper Willie

Will we be taking commons from other sets like all other stand alones do? I recommend we do to fill in holes that might open up, but we can save that until later on in the developing process.

S'all,
Dustin

D

Duster

I LOVE the Penguin Sammy!

Icebound Penguin 2U
Creature - Illusion
Spells that target Icebound Penguin cost an additional R or G to play.
2/3

But I suggest we make him cost 1UU and I agree it should be Hyperborean Penguin, might as well make him a Creature - Penguin while we're at it :)

I like the Skirge too, but I think we're tying to stay away from previously used creature types like Skirge. I also think it might be a little overpowered, this we'll have to keep an eye, what does everyone else think?

Glad to have another mind in on this, thanks Sam.

S'all,
Dustin

F

FoundationOfRancor

I like the penguin!

Sparking Skirge:
Im fine with it being a skirge, I just dont like it gold. I hate gold! But, even as a gold card it looks really powerful. If we drop the trample it should even things out. How about that? (PS: I like the name)

F

FoundationOfRancor

Energy Manifest 2GG
Creature- Elemental
When Energy Manifest leaves play, its controller puts 4 black mana into their mana pool.
4/4

-I have no idea how balanced this is. Just so you know.

Rallying Merchant UU
Creature - Merchant
Target Opponent gains control of target permanent: target creature gets +1+1 and your choice of flying, first strike or trample until end of turn.
1/1

Millatog 3
Artifact creature- Atog
Your opponent searches through your library and removes 3 cards from the game. Shuffle your library afterwards: Millatog gains +4+4 and is either a black or white creature until end of turn. You may only use this ability once per turn.
1/2

Whew, Im tired, I gotta go grab some sleep!

S

Sammy Dead-O

1UU sounds good on the Penguin, as well as a creature type of Penguin. We get a new creature type that way. Now, to work on the long-awaited Penguin Lord =).

Coming in this late in the process, I realize some of my suggestions might go against what's wanted out of the set (e.g. using gold or existing creature types). Just let me know. If the Sparking Skirge does fit the set, then losing trample might balance it a bit more.

If I might share my thoughts on the other cards:

Energy Manifest: Interesting card; I can't think of how to abuse it, but it'd make people think. Oh, wait! I don't know if this set would ever be used with regular sets, but 2 Energy Manifests + Recurring Nightmare = infinite mana. Other than that, though, it's a fun drawback/bonus.

Rallying Merchant: Nice.

Millatog: I like Atogs. I like the Millstone tie-in. It might be too powerful, though. It could easily come out first or second turn; the 3 cards removed may not have a chance to make a difference when you're facing a 5/6 creature. I'm not sure, though...will there be playtesting for the set?

L

Landkiller

Knight's Quest 1W
Sorcery
If a creature you control deals combat damage to a player this turn, search that player's library for any artifact and put it into play under your control.

Icicle Rune 1WU
Enchantment
Draw a card when Icicle Rune comes into play.
Sacrifice Icicle Rune : Deal 3 damage to target attacking creature.

Opposing Force 1WUB
Instant
Lose 1 life.
Choose One : Gain control of target creature and sacrifice a creature; Each player sacrifices all tapped lands; or Pay X : Draw X cards and gain X life.

Nocturnal Choir 1UBR
Instant
Lose 1 life.
Choose One : Return all nonblack, nonland permanents to thier owner's hand and skip your next turn; Target player discards three cards and loses 3 life; or put a 4/4 Red Dragon token with flying into play.

N

NeuroDeus

Enlightening Ritual
W
Instant
Add WWWW to your mana. During your opponent's next main phase, your opponent may add up to 3 mana of any colour to his or her mana pool. If he or she does not you lose 5 life.

Torrid Waters
U
Instant
Sacrifice any number of islands to add 1/1 Merfolk with Islandwalk into play for each Merfolk sacrificed this way...

F

FoundationOfRancor

Knight's Quest:
Should cost 2W.

Icicle Rune:
Why is this gold?

Icicle Rune 2WW
Enchantment
When Icicle Rune comes into play, draw a card.
Sacrifice Icicle Rune: Deal 4 damage divided anyway you choose among any number or target attacking creatures.

Do you like this version landkiller?

Opposing Force/Nocturnal Choir:
Awesome, as usual. I don't know if were going to include these tri--gold cards or not thought...I vote no, just because of the goldness. I really, really, really, really REALLY like the abilities of *all* of them though.

And to NeuroDeus,

Enlightening Ritual:
I like what your trying to do, but I think this could really be an awesome black card, and a almost balanced version of dark rit, let me just scratch up a black version:

Drawing Ceremony B
Instant
Add BBB to your mana. During your opponent's next main phase, he or she may add up to 3 mana of any color to their mana pool. If they do not, you lose 4 life.

Just a crazy idea...

Torrid Waters:
The wording on this confuses me, let me see if I can try to re-word it the way you wanted it:

Torrid Waters U
Instant
As an additional cost to Torrid Waters, sacrifice X Islands.
Add X blue 1/1 tokens with Islandwalk into play. These count as Merfolk.

What do you think Dues?

Just two crazy ideas of mine:

Cleansed Shrine
Land
T: Add 1 mana to your mana pool.
3T: Destroy target creature that has two or more colors.

Spheres of Influence 4U
Enchantment
Instead of drawing cards from your library, you now draw cards from your Opponents.
Your Opponent now draws cards from your library instead of their own.

-May be overcosted, I dont know...your guys thoughts?

S

Sammy Dead-O

You do hate gold, don't you?;) Maybe its activation could require at least 2 different colors of mana. That way, you have to play multi to destroy multi.

Spheres of Influence seems fun and could have some deck potential.

One more:

Mole Engine (1)
Artifact Creature
During your upkeep, return a Mountain you control to its owner's hand or bury Mole Engine.
2/1

L

Landkiller

Mana Split UU
Instant
Counter target multicolored spell.
That spell's caster reveals his or her hand and shuffles all multicolored spells revealed in his or her library.

Diluted Bloodstream BB
Sorcery
Lose 2 life.
Target player loses 2 life for each multicolored spell in his or her graveyard, and you gain 2 life for each such spell.

Pure Emotion RR
Sorcery
Destroy all multicolored creatures.

Flawed Alliance GG
Enchantment
Whenever a multicolored spell is played, it's caster sacrifices two lands.

Constant Bickering WW
Enchantment
Multicolored creatures do not untap as normal.
Multicolored creatures cost an additional 1 to play.

Powerful Allies 1UW
Instant
Reveal the top five cards of your library. Any creatures revealed are put into play under your control. At the end of the turn, any creatures put into play in this way are placed on the bottom of your library.

L

Landkiller

Well, I had Icicle Rune U/W because it is a defensive Ice Magic. Blizzard Elemental is blue, for instance. I concede, however, that the effect is more in flavor of white.

Also, by adding the ability to split damage may make it overpowered. What does someone else think?

L

Landkiller

Ancient Rite RG
Sorcery
Search your library for a mountain and a forest, and put them into play tapped. You can't play a land during your next turn.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Name Needed 2B
Creature- Spy
When ~this~ comes into play, your Opponent chooses and reveals a non-land card from his hand. ~this~ has power and toughness equal to the converted mana cost of the revealed card.
*/*

Sky of Black 1BB
Enchantment
Whenever a creature enters play, remove Sky of Black from the game.
Whenever a creature leaves play, place Sky of Black back into play under owners control.
When Sky of Black enters play, your opponent loses 2 life, or you gain 2 life.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Energy Manifest:
Whoops, this combos awesomely with Recurring Nightmare. Nice catch Sammy, do you have any idea how to fix it? I sure dont...;(

Millatog:
Your right Sammy, this is kinda overpowered, I dont think by much though...here:

Millatog 3
Artifact creature- Atog
1: Your opponent searches through your library and removes 3 cards from the game. Shuffle your library afterwards: Millatog gains +4+3 and is either a blue or white creature until end of turn. You may only use this ability once per turn.
1/2

There, how about that?

Icicle Rune:
Landkiller, your right, it is too powerful. Revised version:

Icicle Rune 3W
Enchantment
When Icicle Rune comes into play, draw a card.
Sacrifice Icicle Rune: Deal 3 damage divided anyway you choose among any number of non-black target attacking creatures.

ok.

Mole Engine:
This card rocks!!!!!! I love it!!!

Mana Split:
A very cool card, balanced.

Actually...all of those cards are good and balanced.

Ancient Rite:
Its balanced, its good, I like it.

C

Cateran Emperor

Mole Engine sounds really lame though. And why exactly would we have an artifact creature that is insanely efficient AND is only playable in one color? How about:

Goblin Commando
R
Creature - Goblin; 2/1
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Mountain you control to its owner's hand or return Goblin Commando to its owner's hand.
No hiding spot, run away.
-Goblin Commando survival rule

Alternately, we could try to make a cycle out of artifact creatures:

Crimson Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem; 3/1
Haste.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Mountain you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Crimson Golem.

Verdant Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem; 3/3
Trample.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Forest you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Verdant Golem.

Alabaster Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem; 2/1
Attacking does not cause Alabaster Golem to tap.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Plains you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Alabaster Golem.

Azure Golem
Artifact Creature - Golem; 2/1
Flying.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return an Island you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Azure Golem.

Andradite Golem
Arifact Creature - Golem; 2/1
Fear.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Swamp you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Andradite Golem.

Suggestions? Perhaps a colored cycle of these "depletion" creatures?

F

FoundationOfRancor

I think a cycle of these golems is a uh, bad idea. I thought we were trying to stay away from cycles? I don't know, I'm kind of crazy anyway...

Heres what I would suggest as opposed to a cycle of golems and a single color goblin in replacement of Mole Engine.

Golem of Emeralds 2
Artifact Creature- Golem
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Forest or a non-basic land you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Golem of Emeralds
4/3
"I tried to pluck a gem of its chest, thinking it was mere statue...within seconds, my company was dead, and I was left with nothing but a broken body."
-Zel, Thief

Volcanic Golem 3
Artifact Creature- Golem
Volcanic Golem cannot be blocked except by artifact creatures and black creatures.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return a Swamp or a Mountain you control to its owner's hand or sacrifice Volcanic Golem
3/5
"The mechanical feat charged right through our lines, only stopping to slay the general and his guard."
-[Insert name of Country here] FootSolider

What do you guys think?

S

Sidar Jabari

Powerful Allies is a green effect. Keep it the same but make it cost 2GG.

I don't think Icicle Rune is overpowered. Look at all the stuff white can already do to attacking creatures, Exile, Excise, various pingers. etc.. At 3W I don't think it would really turn any heads, even with draw a card. Maybe 1WW?

Oh, I really liked those golems, don't take them away! Can we at least play test with them before we dump 'em? Only, the powers and toughness should be.

Crimson -2/1
Verdant -3/1
Alabaster -1/4
Azure -2/1
Andradite -2/1

D

DÛke

...be 10 Artifacts in the set.

There will be:

50 Red
50 Green
50 White
50 Blue
50 Black
10 Artifacts
12 Gold cards for each 2 allied colors = 60
4 Basic lands for each color = 20
10 Non-basic lands
---------------------
Total = 350

We all agreed at the beginning that we don't want a lot of artifacts - so 10 seems fair.

The 10 non-basic lands could be anything...doesn't have to be a cycle...though 1 cycle of multi lands could help. The other could be random-effect lands...

Any complaints?