MindScape Master GG2
Summon Wizard
UU: Return target creature to owner's hand
BB: you gain 2 life, target player loses 2
"I'm smarter than you!"

LightScape Master RR2
Summon Wizard
UU: return target creature to owner's hand
WW: target creature gains protection from a color of your choice until end of Turn
"Feel the Light!"

HopeScape Master BB2
Summon Wizard
GG:Creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn
WW: target creature gains protection from a color
of your choice until end of Turn
"Hope rules the world"

MightScape Master UU2
Summon Wizard
GG:Creatures you control get +2/+2 until end of turn
RR: Deal 2 damage to target creature
"Feel the pain!"

And Linsivvi, i love the white enchantment. Name it Hope

I

Istanbul

Elvish Vagabond/Coast Sentinel - Balanced as a 1/2. A+.
Lochs of Dread - Balanced. Make one for each color, and those would be our nonbasic lands for this set. Doesn't need to come into play tapped due to the fact that you can only play four. Should read:
Lochs of the Dead
Land
T: Add B to your mana pool.
T: Add R to your mana pool. Return ~ to your hand.
T: Add U to your mana pool. Return ~ to your hand.

Soul Generator - Dangerous. Picture this alongside Dark Ritual. Swamp, Ritual, Soul Generator, Carnophage. Next turn, Swamp, activate Generator for 5, play Avatar of Woe. Or turn 1, Forest, Llanowar Elf. Turn 2, Forest, activate Soul Generator for 5, play Verdant Force.

Hinder - Change it to U or B to go hunting. 3U is pretty pricey, hunting for more should be inexpensive.
Relentless Flames - Change to R or G for hunting. Oh, and for the love of god, let's stay AWAY from using Y as a second variable. We can do better than that.
Molding Mask - Change to U or B to pseudo-lobotomize. Also make it +1/+2.
But for all three, change to when you PLAY it. Imagine hunting for four counterspells...that's a lock, right there.

Reaper of the Dead - The original version is balanced.
Dirt Lurker - Should be red.
Boneyard Monstrosity - Return a black card from where? Graveyard? Play?

Mute - I like this as:
Mute 2UU
Instant
As an additional cost to play Mute, pay X life.
Any player may pay X life to counter Mute.
Target player may not play spells until end of turn.

Break of Day - Should read:
Break of Day 3W
Enchantment
Whenever an opponent plays a non-creature black spell, you may choose to have that player gain X life, where X is the spell's casting cost. If you do so, counter the spell.
Cold Wave - Much the same, except replace 'black' with 'red'.
Fertile Valley - Add 'You may play this ability no more than once per turn', or remove it from the set.
Phyrexian Overlord - Make it 'B, pay 1 life: Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn'.
I'd review the rest of linsivvi's cards, but I need NAMES.

Desperate Stand - Pretty damned good. Better than Worship for any Rebel deck.
Gaea's Mask - Should give +1/+1 and trample.
Reaper of Life - Balanced.
Reaper of Earth - Balanced.
Reaper of Souls - Balanced.
Reaper of Minds - Too strong. Make it the number of cards in your hand, and make its base P/T 2/2. (Picture this with Prosperity.)
Reaper of Fate - Balanced. But we should only have one black reaper.

Assorted Masters - Bleah. Rehashes. I'll pass; it's been done.

D

DÛke

...commented most of the cards above, see FoR's thread.

Now, time for my ideas:

Imperial Armada (6)
Artifact
As Imperial Armada comes to play, put all Imperial Armada cards from your hand into play, and search your library for all Imperial Armada cards and put them into play. Shuffle your library.
Tap an untapped creature you control, tap: Imperial Armada deals X damage to target creature, where X is the number of untapped Imperial Armada permanents you control.

Imperial Airpirate (4U) (2/2)
Creature – Pirate
Flying
Whenever a spell is cast, you may pay 1U. If you do, draw a card.
"As cheery as can be."

Concoct Magic (4UU)
Instant
As an additional cost to play Concoct Magic, choose and discard 2 Instant and/or Sorcery cards from your hand. Concoct Magic does the effects of the cards discarded this way. (Treat any X in the effects as 0)
“Salt…and pepper…”

Doomsday Demon (2BBB) (5/5)
Creature – Demon
When Doomsday Demon leaves play, if it has a Doom counter on it, you lose the game.
When Doomsday Demon is put into a graveyard from play, put it back into play under owner’s control, and put a Doom counter on it.
"It's not the beginning of the end. It's the end."

Lamentation (1B)
Instant
You can’t play Lamentation unless a permanent you control was put into the graveyard from play this turn.
Look at target player’s hand and choose a card there. Remove that card from the game.
"Pretend as if you never had it."

Beyond Will (3B)
Instant
Target player sacrifices a creature of your choice.
“For you, there’s nothing like home – the grave.”

Reckless Nimrod (4BB) (7/7)
Creature – Nimrod
Reckless Nimrod gains -1/-1 for each creature in all graveyards.
At the beginning of your upkeep step, you may pay 3B. If you do, destroy target non-black creature. It can’t regenerate.
“Designed with a mind; no heart.”

Taunting Assassin (1BB) (2/1)
Creature – Assassin
At the beginning of your upkeep step, destroy all creatures with a +1/+1 counters on them. Those creatures can’t regenerate.
Tap: Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. Play this ability as a Sorcery.
“Not many lived long enough to enjoy it.”

Assassins’ Mistress (2B) (4/3)
Creature – Mistress
At the end of your turn, if a creature wasn’t put into a graveyard from play this turn, sacrifice a creature.
“Humble, intelligent, powerful - heartless - treacherous, criminal, killer.”

[Edited by DÛke on 01-11-01 at 09:34 PM]

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

i'm thinking doomsday demon, is too powerful, think of the possibilities with donate

maybe when it leaves play with a doom counter on it sacrifice all creatures you control, and take 1 damage for each creature sacrificed this way

i don't know i've never really liked the lose/win game things...i really hate coalition victory

D

DÛke

...kind of told me about that too. Though, Donate MIGHT be a problem, I wouldn't think so, but JUST in case, I edited the card to change its casting cost to (2BBB) from (3BB). This will make it even harder to splash...<laughs> not with "BBB". I wouldn't think it would be a big problem though, since, you'd have to donate it, and then make it leave play, AS SOON as possible - and before all that, you must put a Doom counter on it. It's hard...it's reckless to try.

I

Istanbul

Imperial Armada - Should cost 5.
Imperial Airpirate - Should cost UU to draw a card.
Concoct Magic - Potential for abuse is too great. Make it work only on blue, white, and black spells.
Doomsday Demon - Make it a 4/4. Change from 'If Doomsday Demon leaves play' to 'If Doomsday Demon leaves your control'.
Lamentation - Make it only if a spell or effect controlled by an opponent put a permanent into your graveyard. Picture this alongside, say, Blood Pet.
Beyond Will - Balanced.
Reckless Nimrod - Should be a 5/5. Any player with a brain just won't use its special ability, and will enjoy using a 7/7.
Taunting Assassin - Should be 2BB for a 1/1. Kills a creature each turn.
Assassins' Mistress - Balanced.

D

DÛke

Imperial Armada - AGREED.
Imperial Airpirate - AGREED.
Concoct Magic - VERY AGREED.
Doomsday Demon - Agreed.
Lamentation - VERY AGREED.
Beyond Will - Balanced. OK.
Reckless Nimrod - Hey, Istanbul, would they really ENJOY a 7/7? Let's face it, can Black handle itself without destroying creatures? No. When you play this, THERE WILL BE creatures in opponent's graveyard ANYWAY, so it will be MUCH less than a 7/7. The other abilitiy is the "reckless" part. I think it's balanced as a 7/7, since it's not really a 7/7 when you cast it; unless you've played some spells that remove cards from graveyards, or something.
Taunting Assassin - I kind of agree on the "2BB" cost, but...2/1 is still my choice of power and toughness.
Assassins' Mistress - Balanced. OK.

N

NeuroDeus

Watch Tower - Common
Artifact Creature - Tower
0/3
Watch Tower counts as a Wall
1,T : Watch-Tower deals 2 damage to target attacking creature that Watch Tower is not blocking.

Stormwind Knights - Uncommon
2WB
Creature - Knights
2/2
Protection from White, Protection from Black, First Strike, Stormwind Knights may block as though they had flying.

False Spellweaver - Rare
2UUU
Creature - Wizard
1/1
2UUU: False Spellweaver gains target ability of target creature or target artifact in play. Costs for that ability are reduced to 0 and instead are played by tapping False Spellweaver. False Spellweaver may not copy mana abilities.
"His power is to copy other mages' spells, use them and call them his own." -Unknown Spellmaster.

Lily Dancers - Common
1GG
Creature - Faerie
1/2
Flying.
T,1GG: Remove Lily Dancers from the game. Choose a color. Search a card of the choosen color from your graveyard and put it in your hand. Play this ability only when you can play a sorcery and only if Lily Dancers is not enchanted.

Had no time to comment on your cards and my cards...sorry

about soul generator... every card is dangerous with dark ritual around... try focusing just on the card... try not to think about out cards...

I arranged the generator a bit...

Soul Generator - Rare
Artifact
T, Pay X Life,Tap a non-artifact creature you control : Choose a color other. Add X mana of the choosen color to your mana pool. You may not pay more than 5 life each turn.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Here are some cards I thought of.

Evil Majestry
1BB
Enchant creature
When Evil Majestry comes into play, sacrifice a creaure.
Enchanted creature gains +4/+4.
Lose one life during controller's upkeep

Doom Spirit
3BB
Creature-Spirit
Flying
B: Doom Spirit gains +1/+1 until end of turn
2/3

Heat Blast
X2R
Instant
Heat Blast deals X damage to target creature or player.

That's all for now. Are they alright?

Ransac, cpa trash man

D

DÛke

...do you guys manage to post your own cards when not commenting mine? This is TRUELY not what I wanted this to be. FoR agrees with me, so I'm not
alone on this; and, we have too many cards floating around. Why the haste?

The only real helpers here are Istanbul and FoR...and maybe Duster, but he doesn't have much time. Oh well...<sigh>

Well, I don't care anymore...since you guys are bursting with so many ideas, and are able to submit so many cards in no time, it's better to leave you to build the set; why have me, a "whiner", trying to help out? You'll do fine with the set...just keep submitting cards randomly, and put them all together when you're done...you'll have a very rainbowy collection of cards there...great set.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'm sorry. I thought that this set was for people to post their ideas. I went back and read the previous posts thoroughly and realized I was wrong all along. I won't post here anymore.

Ransac, cpa trash man

F

FoundationOfRancor

Well, since not many people have time to comment on the Cards, why dont ya'll just post your ideas and the people that do want to comment can make a new thread every 3 days or so..with oh...5 to 6 cards from here...and we can comment on them.

Sorry no cards or comments right now, no time!

C

Cateran Emperor

Okay, I say we end the first round of submissions to discuss what we have.

There's no possible way we can keep up the super long posts to deal with a whole slew of cards, I say we just do this one at a time (if it's a cycle of cards, we can do them all at once).

If it weren't so insanely late, I'd comment on them; but I just can't think any more at this hour.

D

DÛke

...Cateran Emperor suggested a very good idea. Why don't we all shut the hell up, and start commenting what we already have? I already did comment most of the cards in FoR's TMS thread. Maybe you guys should go there and say what you think about what I said, and inflect your own opinions? :)

Just STOP submitting, please.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

why don't you, in order to fix further problems, limit the amount of cards a person can submit in one post
anyway sorry i haven't been around much to comment on cards i've had alot of work to do

D

DÛke

...Watch Tower is too simple, and powerful too.
Stormwind Knights is redundant.
False Spellweaver, what the overcost for? 1/1 for 2UUU? <laughs>
Lily Dancers are cool. No need for the other "unenchanted" drawback.
Heat Blast, Blaze is better.
Doom Spirit, nothing unique.
Evil Majestry, no need for the "lose 1 life" drawback.

So far, we have zero cards in the set, since not a single card was commented by everyone who DID sumbit a card.

I

Istanbul

Okay, here's another run of my takes on the most recent cards...

Reckless Nimrod - Yeah, they'd enjoy a 7/7. Seriously...if you're playing this guy, you have to realize that he IS creature removal...and as he makes himself smaller, he's almost a one-creature-at-a-time one-sided Wrath of God.
Taunting Assassin - Make him a 1/2, then. It's just that, as a 2/1, I can see this guy making parallels to River '10 Attacks' Boa, except that he actually pushes blockers out of the way with a poisoned blade. :p

Watch Tower - Make it deal 1 damage. Otherwise, you're essentially paying 2 for a 2/3 wall, and that's way too good.
Stormwind Knights - Either up the CC by W, or remove the 'may block fliers' part. This guy is basically an upgraded Paladin En-Vec, and as much as I love those, I have to admit that they're undercosted...these are basically one step up on that same mana curve.
False Spellweaver - Make him able to duplicate any other creature or artifact in play. A card's 'abilities' becomes a very vague thing. How about this?
False Spellweaver 1UUU
Creature - Wizard
1/1
1UUU: False Spellweaver becomes a copy of target creature. You may pay 1 to end this effect.
Lily Dancers - Regrowth is restricted for a reason; this is basically just Regrowth except that it can't target artifacts or lands; big drawback. :p Add 'Remove all copies of Lily Dancers in your library, hand, and graveyard from the game' to the cost of using these.

Evil Majestry - (Do you mean Evil Majesty?) WAY too strong. Here's a hint: Divine Transformation only gave +3/+3, and cost 5 mana. This gives +4/+4, and costs 3. Make it +3/+2, or increase the casting cost by 1 and make it +3/+3.
Doom Spirit - Kinda an overused mechanic...I can judge this by Dungeon Shade (3B, 1/1, flying, B: +1/+1 until end of turn). For 3BB, make it a 2/2 to start with.
Heat Blast - Balanced.

D

DÛke

...give this one final try to convince Istanbul about Reckless Nimrod. :)
___
Creature – Nimrod
At the beginning of your upkeep step, you may pay 3B. If you do, destroy target non-black creature. It can’t regenerate.
“Designed with a mind; no heart."
___

Ok, suppose...somehow, you cast Reckless Nimrod on turn 3, which is very disturbing, right? Yeah. Now, lets suppose that all graveyards are clean off of creatures (that's kind of hard for Black to do).
So, you have a complete 7/7 ready to kick some butt. Ok.

Now, you realize that everytime Reckless Nimrod attacks, if a chump blocks it and is send to the grave, then Reckless Nimrod have just gotten a bit smaller: a 6/6. Suppose another chump blocks, that's 5/5. Suppose you have a creature you control that's send to the graveyard somehow, that's 4/4. This is all possible, it's not like I'm talking of a mythical combination; it's just natural. Reckless Nimrod will be getting smaller and smaller, wheather its controler likes it or not, if not for anything, than for the creature that blocks it and are send to the grave. It >>might<< be overpowered, but the chances are pretty dim, considering Black is the >>master<< of creature removal, which will hinder the Nimrod's power even more so. If I have to revise something about the Nimrod, I >>may<< consider giving altering its power into 6/6 or >>maybe<< even a 5/5.

Now, for Heat Blast...I know it's good, but isn't Blaze better? It's an instant too, and it could deal damage to either creature or player also, all for the cost of XR. How about this version of Heat Blast:
___
Heat Blast X2R
Instant
Deal 2 plus X damage to target creature or player.
___

This way, you could play it without paying any mana for X, while still dealing some damage...the X is just to make it better in the long run, when you >>really<< need to flame someone.

Now, I think Istanbul is doing a pretty good damn job...if 2 more people do what he's doing, we wouldn't have a problem at all. At least someone is looking at the cards! Thanks Istanbul.

I

Istanbul

Originally posted by DÛke
...give this one final try to convince Istanbul about Reckless Nimrod. :)
___
Creature – Nimrod
“Designed with a mind; no heart."
___

Ok, suppose...somehow, you cast Reckless Nimrod on turn 3, which is very disturbing, right? Yeah. Now, lets suppose that all graveyards are clean off of creatures (that's kind of hard for Black to do).
So, you have a complete 7/7 ready to kick some butt. Ok.

Now, you realize that everytime Reckless Nimrod attacks, if a chump blocks it and is send to the grave, then Reckless Nimrod have just gotten a bit smaller: a 6/6. Suppose another chump blocks, that's 5/5. Suppose you have a creature you control that's send to the graveyard somehow, that's 4/4. This is all possible, it's not like I'm talking of a mythical combination; it's just natural. Reckless Nimrod will be getting smaller and smaller, wheather its controler likes it or not, if not for anything, than for the creature that blocks it and are send to the grave. It >>might<< be overpowered, but the chances are pretty dim, considering Black is the >>master<< of creature removal, which will hinder the Nimrod's power even more so. If I have to revise something about the Nimrod, I >>may<< consider giving altering its power into 6/6 or >>maybe<< even a 5/5.

Now, for Heat Blast...I know it's good, but isn't Blaze better? It's an instant too, and it could deal damage to either creature or player also, all for the cost of XR. How about this version of Heat Blast:
___
Heat Blast X2R
Instant
Deal 2 plus X damage to target creature or player.
___

This way, you could play it without paying any mana for X, while still dealing some damage...the X is just to make it better in the long run, when you >>really<< need to flame someone.

Now, I think Istanbul is doing a pretty good damn job...if 2 more people do what he's doing, we wouldn't have a problem at all. At least someone is looking at the cards! Thanks Istanbul.
Hey, that's what I'm here for.

Reckless Nimrod - Well, yeah. That's my point. Sure, he gets smaller for every creature that chump-blocks him and dies. But realize that this means that on average, four creatures are gonna die before he does! That means you're paying 4BB to destroy four creatures. Where do I sign up? To make matters worse, picture him alongside our new creature enchantment that gives a creature +4/+4...ye GODS. 5/5 was all I was originally suggesting anyway, if you read back...but I could agree to making him a 6/6. That way, green can turn around and play Hunted Wumpus, and have a fighting chance.

Heat Blast - Mmmmmmn...now we're pushing the limits of broken. Let's remember that Blaze, your basic, generic, store-brand X spell, is XR for a Sorcery that does X to target creature or player. 2 is the customary cost to turn a sorcery into an instant (see also many Invasion rares). I could maybe agree to making it deal X+1, but X+2...that's basically the same as:
Heat Blast XR
Instant
Heat Blast deals X damage to target creature or player.
...because 90% of the time, X will be at *least* two. This makes this card directly superior to Blaze, and even Volcanic Geyser (which is good enough to make it into some T1 decks!).
So, how about making it X+1?

I

Istanbul

Love Potion 1W
Enchant Creature
When Love Potion comes into play, choose a creature.
The chosen creature cannot be the target of abilities of the enchanted creature, and all damage done to the chosen creature by the enchanted creature is reduced to 0.
"Love is imperfect, in that we often hurt the ones we love; that's where potions come in."

Basically, I picture a Monstrous Hound humping a Benalish Hero's leg. :) Seriously, though, this basically gives one creature protection from another.

-

Genocide 3UBB
Sorcery
When you play Genocide, choose a creature type.
Remove from the game all creatures target opponent controls of the chosen type. Then, look through that player's hand, library, and graveyard, and remove all creatures of the chosen type from the game.
"The cruelest stroke was discovered in the archmage's records: an entire species wiped not only from the planet, but from the memories of all its' inhabitants."

The ultimate anti-theme card. I know, it's not a very NICE thing to do thallids/goblins/whatever, but...that's why it's costly, destined for a rare slot, and gold.

-

Razzerdrix 2RR
Creature - Beast
Whenever Razzerdrix attacks or blocks, it gains flying until end of turn.
At the end of any turn, if neither player has taken damage, sacrifice Razzerdrix.
4/4
"Who ever thought it could use those ears to *fly*?"

I've noticed that the entire Drix series (Kezzerdrix, Vizzerdrix) grant off-flavor boons to their colors; Kezzerdrix gives black a fat creature with first stike, and Vizzerdrix gives blue some beef. I figured Razzerdrix should bring some flying to red. Of course, a flying 4/4 for 4 needs a big drawback...so I decided that if you didn't hurt your opponent each turn, he'd pack up and go home.

-

Improvisation 3UU
Instant
Choose one: counter target spell; or target spell has a new target of your choice; or return target permanent to its owner's hand.
"A spell for all seasons."

What with the new rage (pun intended) of uncounterable spells, I decided to give blue at least SOME recourse against these powerhouses. Improvisation can be an overcosted counterspell if you want...or it can be Misdirection, but without the ACC that makes it so pricey...or it can be used to bounce a land or some other valuable permanent in case of Obliteration. In all three cases, it costs more than the original spell (Counterspell, Deflection, Boomerang), but its versatility should make it quite usable.

-

Intellect Crush 1BB
Sorcery
When you play Intellect Crush, choose a color.
Look at target player's hand, and select a card of the chosen color. That card is removed from the game.
"To be erased, to be removed, to be undone. That is your fate."

It's Addle, but it has the ability to get nasty recursive permanents out of the game instead of simply getting them into the graveyard. With all the nasty recursive spells in the game these days (Hammer, Squee, Pyre Zombie, etc.), Intellect Crush could well be one of the only defenses black has.

-

Wall of Vines 1GG
Creature - Wall
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
T: Tap target creature that is attacking you. That creature does not untap as long as Wall of Vines remains tapped. You may choose not to untap Wall of Vines during your untap phase.
0/3
"It won't hurt you. That's not what it's for..."

Anyone out there remember Whip Vine? (Didn't think so.) This wall is pretty poor at first, 3 mana for a 0/3...but the ability to lock down a creature is nice, and while tapping for G makes it a little TOO strong (Vine Trellis is a little lower on the mana curve, and I think it's just right), tapping for 1 seems fair.

[Edited by Istanbul on 01-14-01 at 05:16 AM]