Team-made set...

N

NeuroDeus

Almindhra its supposed to be set without any relationship to CPA members. Duke am I right?

I suggest for a start each person taking part should submit a non-basic land, global enchantment, creature, sorcery, instant and and non-creature artifact (6 cards). We then put them together and let people judge them etc. This will be some sort of set start and also doing sets for different colors of one card (like the Dragons and Avatars).

[Edited by NeuroDeus on 01-08-01 at 05:31 PM]

C

Cateran Emperor

It's open to any suggestions, just post/pm/e-mail your ideas to any of us and we'll try to balance it out.

Anyone want to try and build the storyline for our set? Preferably two or three people, I don't want to throw it all on one person; if they fall short we all do.

One thing I really want in the set - Demons, Vampires, Orcs, all old fashioned creature types. Submissions with Creature - Minion or Creature - Beast will not even be looked at :mad: (just kidding there, but bear in mind that we will change the type very quickly ;) )

My initial thoughts:
1 Big expansion, 2 more expansions afterward if we feel like it afterward (CPA Block!)

Some things we should bring back - ACC spells are always great, so are 187 creatures. I'd rather create our own named abilities for the set though.

Gold Cards? But of course; allied or opposing, it doesn't matter.

The more cycles of cards, the better. They tend to balance eveything out when we have to flesh out the entire set.

Try to keep the artifact count down, they only serve to water down the set unless they complement a color.

You can reach me currently at kvak99@aol.com with any ideas (make sure to include your CPA name, otherwise it'll be hard to give you credit for your ideas). My e-mail will be changing shortly due to my own paranoia (someone has the e-mail Cateran Emperor@aol.com, now that is bothering me...)

D

DÛke

...to address FoR's issue. I know that some block mechanics weren't addressed enough, therefore, I DO want SOME cards that have those "name abilities". For example, I feel like Buyback is been explored well enough to NOT be included in this set. HOWEVER, Fading was WAY ignored by WotC. It could've been a major ability; so if we DO get few good ideas with Fading, we will accept them; keep in mind that I said "FEW". Cycling is also helpful...I think it's one of the abilities that should be one of Magic's basics, just for the fact that it is really helpful. We will take some Cycling cards too, but I don't want the set to revolve around Cycling and/or Fading; maybe 2 or 3 cards for each ability, but that's it. Most of the cool stuff should made up right here, in the good ol'CPA.

For the unnamed mechanics, I would like some come into play creatures, but PLEASE, make them interesting. We don't want another Bone Shredder...we want something unique. (I already have a unique Bone Shredder creature made out :)).

Alternative play costs are also really good. We should use some of those.

Basically, we could almost use ANY unnamed mechanic, AS long as we don't over use it.

Like I said, most of the set should be made up right here. Personally, I would even love if we DON'T have to use ANY of WotC's mechanics...but that's up to you too guys...

Well, so far, we know that we want color-interactive cards...cards like the Masters and Apprentices from Invasion. We want them unique and more playable, unlike what Invasion offered.

Some of my ideas is to make a couple of the "BIG" cards...cards like the Winds and Avatars from Prophecy. Big, huge effects...I would most likely perfer them to be Gold cards this time.

Most of all, like Invasion, this set should enable a player to easily interact colors...but UNLIKE Invasion, this set should also be able to keep mono-colored freaks happy, AND make "enemy" Gold cards.
The key to doing this is to use a couple of each idea, probably 50% for each: interactive and mono.

Also, I would like the cards to be submitted in here, please. This way, everyone could see the cards ANY time. I don't really want cards submitted to EACH person or something like that...this will be "person-dependant", meaning that the rest of us will not be able to judge or fix an idea until the person posts it. That's just my opinion.

Dues, I don't agree with you there. I don't like to have "guidelines" as to what I have to submit. I want people to submit "random" ideas, so we can see what each has. You could do it the way you want though, I'm just saying what I think is right.
Sometimes, I don't have the ability to come up with enchantments, for example, and that should NOT restrict me to post my ideas, don't you think? :)

One more thing, like Cateran Emp suggested...Artifacts should minimal in this set.

There. :)

(Sorry, FoR, for the long thread.)

D

Duster

...hit the nail on the head.
I agree with everything he said completely, the only thing I remotely disagree with is the use of Cycling and Fading. As much as I'd love to see these, and even though I have great ideas for them, I feel we should try to stay away from them unless we really need them, or we come up with some great ideas using them.

I also agree that card ideas should be posted here and not emailed to us individually, we can review ideas better as a group, that's the point of this.

I'm coming up with some really good ideas over here (in my opinion anyway :)), and I think we should start posting ideas soon, maybe we should make a list of the objectives of the set? The direction it's going to head in, etc.

S'all for now,
Dustin

I

Istanbul

One other ability I'd like to see revived due to its simplicity and balancing factor is Cumulative Upkeep. Anyone with a brain stem can figure it out, and it's great for balancing out cards that are otherwise too powerful.

D

DÛke

...to address the Cycling and Fading issue for one more time. Personally, I don't like to use ANY of WotC's named mechanics. I feel that if we're going to make a set, it needs to be completely OUR set...addition of Cycling/Fading and EVEN Cumulative Upkeep will just take space in the set...this space could be used to STRENGTHEN our own, new, unique ideas...don't you guys think?

Besides Fading/Cycling, Cumulative Upkeep is different a bit. It's not really an "ability", just an upkeep. Also, I revealed one of my ideas to FoR yesterday on AIM, and seemed to be very fond of the idea...the idea DID require upkeeps, and I feel that Cumulative Upkeep might "fix" the problem we had with that particular card...though, aside all that, I STILL, in MY opinion, disagree of having any borrowed abilities, besides the basic ones (Flying, Trample...etc.). It's up to us to vote it down...

For the storyline for the cards, I think that it's just something that we DO NOT need to worry about for now...since the real issue is the cards themselves. IF WE manage to pull this off, we could work on a storyline...but for now, lets focus on cards alone. :)

Now...we need to somehow, and somewhat start this thing. I already said what I had to say about MY own ideas for the set. Now we need others' thoughts...so, give them away right now...

Thoughts like, what kind of set this should be? Slow? Fast? Medium? Should we have a lot of Legends? Legendary Permenants? A lot of Gold cards? Focus on something specific? What? You tell us...ANYTHING you have in mind...

I

Istanbul

Medium speed. Focus on the 3-5 mana midgame.

Not too many Legendary things. Legendary stuff always irritates me, in that getting them into a deck is a tricky process.

Gold cards are fine, but let's not go overboard. I suggest a maximum of one of each color mix for our rare slots, same for uncommons, and allied colors only for commons. For example:

RARE: - WG, WU, WR, WB, GU, GR, GB, UR, UB, RB
UNCOMMON: - WG, WU, WR, WB, GU, GR, GB, UR, UB, RB
COMMON: - WG, WU, GR, UB, RB

L

linsivvi

yup, i got some cards i made a while ago, so here they be

Break of Day
White
Uncommon
Enchantment
3W
Whenever a black, non-creature spell is played, you may give opponent life equal to its casting cost to counter it
Darkness is banished by light

Cold Wave
White
Uncommon
Enchantment
3W
Whenever a red, non-creature spell is played, you may give opponent life equal to its casting cost to counter it
Heat is banished by cold

Fertile Valley
Green
Rare
Enchantment
G
Pay 3 life, add GG to your mana pool
Anything you wish......For a price

Phyrexian Overlord
Black
Rare
Creature-Phyrexian
4BB
When it comes into play, sacrifice 2 creatures or sacrifice it
BB Target creature gets -1-1 until end of turn
Phyrexian Overlord can only be blocked by black and artifact creatures
4/4

Blue
Uncommon
Creature-Wizard
T: Remove it from the game, counter target spell unless its caster pays 4
1/2

Red
Uncommon
Sorcery
2R
It deals damage to target creature or player equal to the number of creatures in play

Green
Uncommon
Creature-Elf
2G
Protection from blue
Cannot be countered
1/2

White
Rare
Enchantment
1WWW
As long as you control more creatures than opponent, when your life would be reduced to less than 1, it is instead reduced to 1
Hope is stronger than any shield

Blue
Common
U
Instant
When it comes into play flip a coin, if you lose it goes to the graveyard without having any effect
If you win, counter target spell
We’ll let fate decide

Red
Rare
RRR
Enchantment
RRR: Remove it from the game, the game is a draw
If I can’t win why should anyone else

Red
Common
R
Instant
When it comes into play, sacrifice X number of permanents
It deals X damage divided any way you chose among any number of creatures or players

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

i'd be glad to help, on the named mechanics query, what if you modified a mechanic, take shadow for example what if you were to do this
darkness 2( this creature comes into play with 2 darkness counters on it, as long as it has a darkness counter on it it can only be blocked by other creatures with darkness counters on them)

just wondering

C

Cateran Emperor

A possible mechanic: Channeling

Channeling X (At any time, you may pay X and reveal this card from your hand. If you do, search your library for a copy of this card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library.)

I think this could be great if we use it primarily for non-creature spells.

Stream of Fire
X1R
Instant
Channeling RR.
Stream of Fire deals X damage divided evenly among any number of creatures and players. Pay 1 for each target beyond the first.

Denial
1UU
Instant
Channeling 1U.
Counter target spell.
"How many times do I have to tell you, NO."

Thoughts?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Channeling rules, but does it have to be limited to mana. Could you sacrifice something as well and pay life, kinda like the Exodus buyback was? Something like this

Ground Tremor
3R
Sorcery
Channeling: Discard a card
Destroy target land

See what I mean, or does it have to be limited to just mana?

Ransac, cpa trash man

C

Cateran Emperor

Nope, the channeling cost could be anything. (I suspect Kickers in Planeshift or Apocalypse will do teh same ;) )

D

DÛke

...could be heading for a "bad" start. Didn't you guys hear/believe me when I said that I don't like for "named" mechanics to be in this set? I also said I don't want new "named" mechanics, like Channeling...yes, it's really cool, BUT...I don't like a named mechanic, not in this set.

I agree with Istanbul's latest suggestions, please READ them. :)

Well, should we start?

PLEASE SUBMIT NO MORE THAN 2 cards. We don't want to be overwhelmed. Also, please follow the guidlines...no named mechanics, etc.

Thank you.

A

Azreal the Soulmaster

oh, i thought when you said named mechanics you ment mechanics in magic, that were already made and named, but okay that works

F

FoundationOfRancor

But Mr. DUke is pulling some "No Mechanic" action. How about we make it an un-named cycle instead? Here, ill revise two for CE so there balanced...

----------------------------------------------------
Hinder 3U
Instant
When this card is in your hand, you may pay 1U or B to search through your library for a copy of Hinder, and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Counter target spell.

-What do you guys think about the activiation cost? I like the multi-color thing. What about the cc? Should it be 2UU? I think 1UU is to cheap, to tell you the truth. I mean, its massive card and board advantage in one card. Cateran Emperor, what do you think?

Relentless Flames X1R
Sorcery
When this card is in your hand, you may pay 1R or G to search through your library for a copy of Hinder, and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Stream of Fire deals X damage divided evenly among any number of creatures and players. Pay 1 for each target beyond the first.
---------------------------------------------------

I really like this abilty, it's interesting. Therefore, ill submit my first two cards:

Ruthless Mask 1G
Creature Enchantment
When this card comes into play, your Oppenent may pay U or 2, if they do, they may search through your library and remove a copy of Ruthless Mask from the game. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Enchanted creature gets +2+1
Sacrifice Ruthless Mask: Put target creature card in your graveyard into your hand.
An ACC creature...(I know, no creativity:) )

Ascending Merchant 4UU
Creature- Townsfolk
If you control three mountains, this creature costs UU.
2X,T: Put X +1+1 counters on Ascending Merchant, Where X is how many spells have been played this turn. You may only activate this ability only during your Oppenents turn.
4/4

Its a new, cooler, weirder, Control-Burn, Air Elemental! What do you guys think?

Well, those are my first two cards of the set, there kinda weird. Im not sure what to think of them, I have no idea if there balanced or not! What do you guys think/suggest?

[Edited by FoundationOfRancor on 01-09-01 at 10:53 PM]

I

Istanbul

Ascendant Merchant makes me nervous. That sucker could get confusing. Spells played? Spells successfully cast? Which one?

D

Duster

Linsivvi posted a card I thought was interesting, I gave it a name, cleaned it up and balanced it out...

Elvish Vagabond 1GG
Creature – Elf

Protection from blue.
~this~ cannot be countered.

2/1

!I don't think much more needs to be said about that, any ideas or further revision?!

And here's my take on FoR's cards...switched a lot of stuff around, so just take a look :)

Ascending Merchant 3WW
Creature - Townsfolk

If you control at least two mountains, this creature costs 2W less to play.
XR,T: Put X +1/+1 counters on ~this~. X is the number of creatures put into play this turn. This ability may be played only during an opponent’s turn.
If ~this~ ‘s becomes greater that 7, destroy this.

3/4

!I made it white because it seemed out of character for blue to me. I also changed the ACC, gave it a little drawback and lowered the casting cost by 1. Hell, I changed a lot, so if you don't like this we'll try again, I really like this idea.!

Gaea’s Mask 1GG
Enchant Creature

As ~this~ is played, any player may pay U or 2. If they do, they may search your library for a Ruthless Mask card and remove it from the game. Then shuffle your library.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2
Sacrifice ~this~: Put target creature card in your graveyard into your hand.

!I fudged around with this one a lot too, and changed the name, "Ruthless" is more of black card adjective. Again I like the idea, it might need to be balanaced a little more.!

Any ideas about what else needs to be done with these? Are they okay now? Were they okay before? Need to be modified a little more?
Discuss.

S'all,
Dustin

D

Duster

Lochs of Dread
Land

Tap: Add B to your mana pool.
Tap: Add R to your mana pool and return ~this~ to your hand.
Tap: Add U to your mana pool and return ~this~ to your hand.

How do you guys like that idea?

S'all,
Dustin

N

NeuroDeus

Soul Generator
Artifact
T, Pay X Life,Tap a non-artifact creature you control : Add X mana of any color to your mana pool. You may not pay more than 5 life each turn.

I suggested this one weeks ago and now I fixed it bit by putting 'non-artifact' in the cost as it not making people use the Ornithopter or similiar 0 mana costing creature. Usable mostly 2 or 3 turn.

Reaper of the Dead
3BB
Creature - Evil Spirit
*/3
Reaper of the Dead's power equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards. If a creature with flying is in a graveyard Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature from your graveyard from play: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.

I think the cost is right as regenerating this creature will only hurt its power a bit.