Team-made set...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
As an observer, I was wondering what the problem was with not having "named" mechanics in the set. The only thing that really differs between a "named" and an "unnamed" (at least to me) is that with a "named", you have a "template" or a common "shorthand" understanding of what it does. That way you don't have to keep writing "reminder" text on the card when you want to use it (like "Walls cannot attack").

For instance, if you wanted to use "Channeling", you wouldn't have to keep writing "pay <cost> to retrieve copy of card, blah, blah, blah".

Is there another reason behind the "named" mechanics that I'm missing? Like that's not even the type of "mechanic" you're looking for? Just stuff like CIP abilities which isn't technically a "named" mechanic (i.e. you always have to write "When <this> comes into play, <do this>")?

D

DÛke

...are you guys not trying to follow the rules we made? Everyone is submitting their own ideas, while leaving the PREVIOUSLY submitted ones unnoticed! Why is that? It is supposed to be a team thing, not a rebellion or whatever...

When something is submitted, please try to give your thoughts about it...how do you expect the rest of us to "comment" your ideas while YOU don't give the others your thoughts? That's not fair...and it will lead this to be just like all other, unorganized, hermetic sets...I hate that...

...I don't like to "name" the mechanics for 1 good reason. When we "name" a mechanic, that means we're planning on using it to the point of ABUSE...I already said I want this set to be unique, and has something for everyone...face it, if we add, for example, Channeling, we will be making hell'a cards out of them...I don't want that...not at all. If we're not smart enough to make different ideas, we shouldn't be making a set in the first place. Sure, Channeling is pretty cool, but since it appeared in this thread, it has been used SEVEN freakin' times! SEVEN TIMES! We have not even actually STARTED the thing, and there are already ideas revolving around Channeling. I know you all are into the "let's explore the idea deerper" thing, but...if we come up with different ideas, we could make a set that doesn't need to be involved in ONE or TWO mechancis...

If this keeps goin' on, I can 100% assure that we'd see artifacts, creatures, lands, and everything...toying with Channeling: reducing its cost, increasing its cost...etc...and, what the HECK would that be? The set then, eventually, would be called "Channeling". Channeling is fun and new, but abusing it is just making it boring...

I don't want named mechanics, because it spawns over-use. It already did.

And whatever happened to team-work? There are cards up there that nobody even probably LOOKED at, people just jumped into submitting their own ideas...that's just about stupid...

I have nothing more to say...you want named mechanics, you do named mechanics, you don't, you don't...you want to submit your own ideas and overlooking others', that's fine too...

Should I submit my 50 cards now, ALL AT ONCE? That'd be really cool of me to do, wouldn't it...

N

NeuroDeus

Some notes about Elvish Vagabond.

1. Change the name to something like Coast Sentinel. Making it something that makes the pro. blue and uncounterability go with the name.

2. Switch the power/toughness around.

Coast Sentinel
1GG
Creature - Elf
1/2
Coast Sentinel cannot be countered. Protection from Blue.

btw. Lochs of the Dread is very broken due a land should never be better than the basic land. Its a swamp with two more abilities.

Lochs of Dread
Land
Lochs of Dread comes into play tapped.
T: Add B to your mana pool.
T: Add either R or B to your mana pool and return ~this~ to your hand.

Less broken version of Lochs.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I only commented on channeling. I have been commenting on the most recent ones I see. I believe the only comment I have made is about channeling. Let's leave that aside.

Duster's lands seem alright. They don't give a huge upset to the game when played, AND they are helpful the that player. Not a bad make.

Ransac, cpa trash man

F

FoundationOfRancor

DUke...what the hell are you talking about!?

I agree with you that people should respond to cards, as the fair Duster did. But, what are you talking about!? Seven cards....whoo! 2 of them were revisions, and one was jsut an example! Settle down, and if you dont want that many cards that do the same thing, dont accept them!

Onward..

I submit this one card for conversation...again:
---------------------------------------------------

Hinder 3U
Instant
When this card is in your hand, you may pay 1U or B to search through your library for a copy of Hinder, and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Counter target spell.

----------------------------------------------------

Relentless Flames X1R
Sorcery
When this card is in your hand, you may pay 1R or G to search through your library for a copy of Hinder, and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Stream of Fire deals X damage divided evenly among any number of creatures and players. Pay 1 for each target beyond the first.

Molding Mask 1G
Creature Enchantment
When this card comes into play, your Oppenent may pay U or 2, if they do, they may search through your library and remove a copy of Ruthless Mask from the game. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Enchanted creature gets +2+1
Sacrifice Ruthless Mask: Put target creature card in your graveyard into your hand.

-Duster, I cant see why you changed this, other to just change it? Do you think its too powerful? If so, lets change the oppenent search cost to 1.

Ascending Merchant 4UU
Creature- Townsfolk
If you control two mountains, this creature costs
2U.
X,T: Put X +1+1 counters on Ascending Merchant, Where X is how many instants have been sucessfully cast this turn. You may activate this ability only during your Oppenents turn.
4/4

How about that as a blue ability? Think Counters? I really dont wanna change the color, so lets make it blue-like. Also, do you guys think that I should make it a 3/3 and flying?

Duster, The land idea seems kinda cool, but lets not make it so plain...maybe something like:

Dustland
T: Add R to your mana pool, return this card to your hand.
R, T: Dustland deals one damage to target creature. Return this card to your hand.

Thats really weak, but I think you guys get the idea...

Dues:

Soul Generator
Artifact
T, Pay X Life,Tap a non-artifact creature you control : Add X mana of any color to your mana pool. You may not pay more than 5 life each turn.

-This looks good, but maybe a bit too powerful? How about XX life as the activation cost? (With the tap thing, of course) Or do you think its balanced as is?

Reaper of the Dead
3BB
Creature - Evil Spirit
*/3
Reaper of the Dead's power is equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards.
If a creature with flying is in a graveyard, Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature in your graveyard from play: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.

I really, really, really like this card. Its cool, and I think its balanced. Good job Dues! Note to DUke and Duster, if you want to add old creature types, monster or abomination would work here.

I hope this helps you guys!

F

FoundationOfRancor

Dirt Lurker 3GG
Creature- Monster
Dirt Lurker has power and toughness equal to the number of land cards in all graveyards.
3GG: Untill end of turn, Dirt Lurker's power and tougness are now equal to as many lands that are in play.
*/*

-A little too plain, maybe? Bigger CC? Perhaps Red?

--------------------------------------------------

Boneyard Monstrosity 2BB
Creature- Abomination
Flying
Sacrifice Boneyard Monstrosity: Return a black card to your hand.
2/1

Well, sorry for the plain card....but I gotta jet, cya all later!

N

NeuroDeus

A note : People please try and get card names interesting and that might a bit go with the theme of the abilities. Calling a green life given creature - Bog Sucker or something is quiet stupid :) (nobody did until now, at least).

call me Neuro (sidenote) lol

Soul Generator might be a power artifact but it is quiet right... (Some cards should be powerful although not all)

I spent changing Reaper of the Dead for an hour. I even playtested him. He must be right!

S

sageridder

Reaper of the Dead
3BB
Creature - Evil Spirit
*/3
Reaper of the Dead's power equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards. If a creature with flying is in a graveyard Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature from your graveyard from play: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.

Like the idea,but it can hit the board first turn.
Swamp.rit,rit.If you sit back and throw a creature in your grave each turn that gives a 6 turn clock "if" your opponent doesn't help feed it.What about

Reaper of the Dead
3BB
Creature - Evil Spirit
*/3
Reaper of the Dead's power equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards. If a creature with flying is in a graveyard Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature from your graveyard from play: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.
During your upkeep remove a creature card in your graveyard from the game,If you cannot remove reaper from the game.

"Tonight we feast,so nice of your army to have supplied the meal."-Morti,Zelot of the Cpa

OR

Reaper of the Dead
3BB
Creature - Evil Spirit
*/3
During your upkeep your opponent may discard a card at random to remove a creature in any graveyard from the game.

"Tonight we feast,so nice of your army to have supplied the meal."-Morti,Zelot of the Cpa

N

NeuroDeus

To my own humble opinion both the versions you proposed where...

Proposed No.1 - Made Reaper a creature that surely would never seen play... How many creatures are you going to kill to keep feeding this guy?

Proposed No.2 - The upkeep ability is worthless and making the card text too big...

I propose to let Reaper be what he is... think of it...

1. He attacks turn 6, of course you might have discarded lots of creatures until know but who knows you might be already dead by not building your defense.

2. His power is only "3" and not the number of creatures in all graveyards. Lots of creatures (sometimes they must have flying) can kill him. Regenerating hurts his power and BB is quiet a big cost. Trample, Reaper lacks.

3. Against creatureless decks Reaper is totally cabbage (Replenish example).

N

NeuroDeus

I did a grave mistake in the wording of one of Reaper's abilities...

Reaper of the Dead
3BB
Creature - Evil Spirit
*/3
Reaper of the Dead's power is equal to the number of creatures in all graveyards.
If a creature with flying is in a graveyard, Reaper of the Dead gains flying.
BB, Remove a creature in your graveyard out of the game: Regenerate Reaper of the Dead.

C

Cateran Emperor

"Whew", missed a lot here for only one day!

First off, calm down Duke. I didn't realize how adamantly you didn't want named mechanics (I don't see how we're being unoriginal, it simply means we don't have to repeat a bunch of redundant text each time). We remove the name, but I'd really rather keep the ability. How about this then?

Relentless Flames
Instant
X1R
At any time, you may pay B or 2 and reveal this card from your hand to search your library for a Relentless Flames card and put into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Relentless Flames deals X damage divided any way you choose among any number of target creatures and players. Pay 1 for each target beyond the first.

Now, on to the rest.

Reaper of the Dead is an excellent idea Neuro (I loved Lhurgoyf ;) ), but I think it's too potentially dangerous with Buried Alive and Dark Ritual. How about this:

Reaper of the Dead
2BB
Creature - Horror
When Reaper of the Dead comes into play, pay half your life, rounded up.
Reaper of the Dead has power equal to the combined power of all creature cards in all graveyards.
Reaper of the Dead gains Flying, First Strike, Trample, or Protection from any color if any creature card in any graveyard does.
*/3

Coastal Sentinel is excellent, but how about allowing it to block creatures with flying?

Ascendant Merchant really sounds more blue to me, but works well otherwise.

Just some preliminary thoughts here, I unfortunately don't have time to see the rest. I'll be back in a few hours to do those :cool:

D

Duster

I really like the Molding Mask idea, it just seems a little too much for 1G. Let's see what we're getting here:
+2/+1 is generally enough for 1G itself.
Then we get a creature from our graveyard (to hand) which is about another 1G.
Then we take into consideration the drawback and I added a +0/+1 and I think 1GG is a fair casting cost. I wish I could think of cards to compare this to...

Moving along however, my lands are meant to support the oppoising color feel of the set, that's why they seem kind of plain. I also agree that they should come into play tapped. I do have ideas for other "bouncelands" however.

Relentless Flames should be:
Relentless Flames XY1R
Sorcery
When this card is in your hand, you may pay 1R or G to search through your library for a copy of Hinder, and put that card in your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Stream of Fire deals X damage divided evenly among any Y+1 number of creatures and players.

That's a little more clear right?

I like Ascending Merchant now, but I think it needs a limit, or does it? I also suggest we keep it on the ground.

I think Dirt Lurker would be better costing 2RG, maybe change it's abilty to be lands you control instead of all lands.

Other cards that I'm happy with the way they are:
Coast Sentinel
Hinder
Reaper of the Dead (How does Reaper of the Fallen sound?)
Boneyard Monstrosity
Soul Generator

I should have some more ideas shortly.
S'all for now though,
Dustin

D

Duster

Mute 2UU
Enchantment

~this~ may be played any time you could play an instant.
As ~this~ comes into play, you lose X life. Any player may choose to lose X life to destroy ~this~.
Target player cannot play any spells.
Destroy ~this~ at the end of the turn it was put into play.

Oh, I'm sorry, were you saying something?"

Would this be more clear or better as:

Mute 2UU
Instant

As ~this~ is played, you lose X life. Any player may choose to lose X life to counter ~this~.
Target player cannot play any spells until end of turn.

Oh, I'm sorry, were you saying something?"

I have a lot of ideas for the "As ~this~ comes into play, you lose X life. Any player may choose to lose X life to destroy ~this~." mechanic.

I personally like the enchantment more, it can be countered at any time while it's in play, and doesn't require changing the mechanic around.

S'all for now,
Dustin

D

DÛke

...ok, look...how can we "comment" on each card submitted if there are MANY submitted? I mean, I don't have time to come here and review all these cards up there! I really wish I can!

Why don't we just all...um...like take turns, each submit a card, we comment the card, fix it, AND THEN, another person submits another card...this way, EACH card WILL BE looked at, fixed, and then...either accept it or reject it.

It's NOT my set you know...it's ours, and I want every card to be LOOKED at by at least 3 people before actually getting in the set.

F

FoundationOfRancor

About Molding Mask:

I think the downside is really big, but in reflection, I think you have a good point Duster. Heres the new version:
Molding Mask 2G
Creature Enchantment
When this card comes into play, your Oppenent may pay 1, if they do, they may search through your library and remove a copy of Ruthless Mask from the game. Shuffle your library afterwards.
Enchanted creature gets +2+2
Sacrifice Ruthless Mask: Put target creature card in your graveyard into your hand.

I think 2G and the Search abilty to 1 is pretty balancing. NeuroDeus, (did I spell that right?) what cards were you refering too? And do you have any suggestions?

Ascending Merchant 4UU
Creature- Townsfolk
If you control two mountains, this creature costs
2U.
X,T: Put X +1+1 counters on Ascending Merchant, Where X is how many instants have been sucessfully cast this turn. You may activate this ability only during your Oppenents turn.
4/4

Duster's right, this card should have a limit, but how can we word it without making it really wordy?

F

FoundationOfRancor

Mute 2UU
Enchantment
Mute may be played any time you could play an instant.
As Mute comes into play, you lose X life.
Any player may choose to lose X life to destroy Mute.
Target player cannot play any spells.
Destroy Mute at the end of the turn it was put into play.

I really like this card. I think it might be a bit too weak, but im not sure. Probablly not. Its a helluva lot of text though, and I cant figure out how to shorten it. I really like the card though, nice job Duster.

C

Cateran Emperor

Duke, I'd appreciate it if you didn't yell at people for not commenting when you haven't done so yourself.

Good thinking there Duster, Mute is great the way it is. Perhaps lower it to 1UU or 3U though?

linsivvi's cards:

Both Cold Wave and Break of Day are fairly balanced, much more fair than Warmth or Light of Day are.

Phyrexian Overlord is great (I like my black fatties with excellent activated abilities :cool: Two things though, make it a Creature-Horror and change the text to read "When Phyrexian Overlord comes into play, sacrifice two creatures." Don't forget that this is a creature itself, so it will be sacrificed if you can't pay its cost.

The blue Wizard card is a cool idea. Make him cost 1U, and make his ability cost "U, Tap". How about Interfering Mage?

If I may just say one thing, sorcery speed removal sucks. Just in general, I've always said that if it doesn't kill at instant speed it's useless outside of draft. Sever Soul is useless because it's Sorcery speed. Tribal Flames is pointless at Sorcery speed. Soul Burn loses some of its power because it's a Sorcery. Even the mighty Drain Life and Fireball aren't as powerful as they could be because they have to be cast on your turn.

The White Enchantment (How about "Desperate Stand"?) is unfortunately far too difficult to cast, and it still stands vastly weaker than Worship. How about:

Desperate Stand
1WW
Enchantment
If you control more creatures than any opponent, damage that would reduce you to less than 1 life instead reduces you to 1 life.
Sacrifice Desperate Stand: Search your library for a White creature card and put it into play. Then shuffle your library. At end of turn, if you control fewer creatures than any opponent, sacrifice this creature and lose 1 life.

I'm not going to comment on the Draw and the "flip a coin" cards. They just don't do anything for me at all. The last card is almost identical to Last-Ditch Effort.

Now, for Gaea's Mask, I like it like this:

Gaea's Mask
G
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+1 and Trample.
When Gaea's Mask is put into the graveyard from play, search your library for a Gaea's Mask card and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library. Any player may pay U or 2 to counter this effect.

Sort of like a less broken Rancor. Creature enchantments have to cheap and have a way to get more of them or re-use them to be useful at all. I think allowing a counter is a bit more fair.

Lochs of Dread is useless if you make it a tapland and make it return to your hand. Try this:

Lochs of Dread
Land
T: Add B to your mana pool. Lochs of Dread deals 1 damage to you.
T: Add U to your mana pool. Return Lochs of Dread to owner's hand.
T: Add R to your mana pool. Lochs of Dread does not untap during your next untap step.

Let's try the Dustland next.

Dustland
Land
T: Add 1R to your mana pool. This mana can only be spent to play red creature spells.
RR, sacrifice a red creature: Dustland deals 3 damage to target creature or player.

I'm not even going to try to touch Soul Generator. That has far too much unseen potential for me to even consider the way it is. Artifacts that produce multiple mana of any color will be broken eventually.

Dirt Lurker is a cool idea, I think we should do a cycle of these, but maybe a cooler name?

Reaper of Life
3GG
Trample
Reaper of life has power and toughness each equal to the number of creatures in play.
*/*

Reaper of Earth
3RR
Haste
Reaper of the Land has power and toughness each equal to the number of land cards in play.
*/*

Reaper of Souls
3WW
First Strike
Reaper of Souls has power and toughness each equal to the number of enchantment cards in play.
*/*

Reaper of Minds
3UU
Flying
Reaper of Minds has power and toughness each equal to the number of cards in all players hands.
*/*

Reaper of Fate
3BB
B: Regenerate Reaper of Fate.
Reaper of Fate has power and toughness each equal to the number of non-creature, non-land cards in all graveyards.
*/*

(Phew), that was long. Any thoughts? Maybe we should do this one card at a time to keep the post length down?

D

Duster

Maybe we should stop posting new cards for a bit and work out the ones we have submitted? We'll fine tune these, and see if they're usable or not (don't be afraid to can ANY card).
We're off to a good start. I'll look back through the thread later and see what could be left as is and what still needs a little work IMO. In the meantime, why don't you guys tell me what you think, no need to post the whole card if you're just going to say it's okay as is, the name is fine.

Great work guys!
S'all for now,
Dustin

N

NeuroDeus

The latest Reaper of the Dead that was proposed was the one I sort of did in the biggening. Too powerful, to big. Try imagine if all of those criteria (flying) where in the graveyard. A 10/10 trampler with protectiong from lots of colors is nightmare re-lived... I'd stick to the old version (god im protecting this card like it was my life!)

Soul Generator has potential. But remeber it lose of life and it cost 2 not 0.

Will the set include : Disenchant, Counterspell, Dark Ritual, Stone Rain?

D

Duster

I think we can work out what previously released cards we can release or rehash in our set later. I have an idea to put a little twist on them all by putting "Tap an untapped creature or artifact you control," in them to make them a little harder to use and maybe a little more interesting. Suggestions?

S'all for now,
Dustin