RPG: Horror on the Hill

P

Prince RXI

If they come within 30 feet, I cast the entangle spell I am setting up so it does not hit us, yet it hits as many of them as possible.

I

Istanbul

If it's possible to do so, I'll step off of the trail so that I can take up a spot beside the others and get ready for combat.

If not (no ground beside the trail?), I'll, uh...stand there and look pretty.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Morglum tries to relay Nychus' request but seems to be ignored as the creatures come closer. When they reach the 30 feet mark, Nychus lets fly an arrow as RXI starts his spell. The arrow flies true and strikes the left creature facing you squarely in the chest. With a grunt it topples over. RXI finishes his spell and the trees and undergrowth wildly sprout, twisting and entwining the remaining creatures so that they are held fast. They start screaming and grunting and wildly struggle in an effort to get loose.

** there's no room off the trail to get up front, so you'll have to stand there looking pretty :) **

P

Prince RXI

RXI and Aniya walk off the forest path and go around to the Hob-Goblins, but staying out of their reach.

"Well... it seems that nature itself is punishing you... please stop struggling... maybe we can come... to some mutual agreement... Well... what do you think? Oh... Aniya... stay on your guard and warn me if something happens..."

RXI pulls his right hand out of his cloak. He is wielding his scimitar still.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
While RXI is struggling to reach the creatures by traveling off-path and from his place in line, the creatures manage to free themselves on the other side of the now-overgrown path. Snarling and grunting, the party makes out through the cracks that they dash back down the trail from whence they came.

Morglum grunts "How long is this spell gonna last? Should we wait or chop through it?"

D

Daggertooth

"I'd actualy suggest we go off trail. Whatever those were they seemed intelegent enough to have gone to get reinforcements."

D

Daggertooth

"Would you rather face a hord of those odd critters on this trail? Whatever, they might not be coming back anyway. I'd still say off trail though."

P

Prince RXI

***What ever... I am a druid AND an Elf, so I shouldn't have been having a hard time getting to them... but what ever you say...***

RXI just growls and disspells the growth.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
** Actually, I'm going by 2nd ed. rules for you and Zero's characters since doing third would unbalance the scenario too much and druids can't pass through overgrowth until 3rd level and being an elf doesn't really matter here. So you're pretty much as stuck as the rest of the group :) **

Morglum replies to Nychus, "What, only two of us can attack two of them anyway, and I know *I* can take them. I say we keep to the trail and keep going but be aware for any friends they might bring back."

I

Istanbul

Lathos starts down the trail, pre-empting any further discussion.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Scrambling to catch up with Lathos, the new marching order is:

Lathos, Morglum, Arek, Nychus, Roland, RXI, Bob

The party travels for 15 turns (2.5 hours), carefully watching for signs of ambush or a return of the creatures, but spy nothing. The creatures tracks soon blend in with the pine needles and other growth on the trail. At the end of the 15 turns (and having descended some 80 feet since the start), you come to the south end of the largest and most desolate on The Hill. Clumps of grass growing here are brown and scraggly. Most of the ground is simply bare, cracked dirt, and the forest surrounding it seems especially dark and foreboding. The clearing's shape is like a teardrop with the party at the narrow, bottom end; it seems to widen out as it goes further north.

I

Istanbul

Lathos looks up from his mapmaking.

"Ah, the scenic route."

He then resumes mapmaking, continuing to the north unless otherwise stopped.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The rest of the party watches Lathos, Roland, and Morglum recede into the distance as they travel north to explore the clearing. About an hour and a half later, the remaining party members (without Lathos, Roland, or Morglum) hear a faint roar in the north.

D

Daggertooth

"Hmmm, that sounds interesting. Hope the rest of the guys are okay."

As I say that I nock my bow and run towards the sound.

P

Prince RXI

As Nychus says those words, RXI and Aniya move swiftly towards the sound, trying to hear what is happening ahead.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Nychus and RXI come across a distressing scene, that of four hideously ugly humanoids surrounding two fallen bodies. Nearby also lies the fallen body of a giant humanoid, dressed in hide and a massive club nearby. Further to the northwest lies another body.

Nychus and RXI make it to about 110 feet away from the group before being spotted. In silence the creatures turn from the two bodies and lope towards them. Nychus looses an arrow that he already had prepared and it strikes true, but the creature keeps a coming. The four are now 20 feet away from Nychus and RXI.

P

Prince RXI

RXI casts Entangle, then starts to hit the beings with bullets from his sling. Aniya stands back and defends RXI and Nychus.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Round 2

The party won the initiative.

Nychus releases another arrow but it flies wide. RXI casts his Entangle and the grasses wildly grow to grasp and entwine the creatures. However, two of them keep moving and slowly move to within 10 feet of the party.

Round 3

The creatures won the initiative.

They move to within melee range. Nychus drops his bow and grabs his short swords and swings, but scrapes the wild growth. RXI draws his scimitar and attacks, striking one and felling it. Aniya lunges at the second one and takes off its head, causing it to silently collapse.

The two creatures trapped in the foliage are still trying to reach you to no success (so far).