MTG: On-line

N

Nightstalkers

Mmm, Ebay... *salivates*

Spidey can buy 'em for 10, but I'll try my luck on Ebay... Dang them, now I'm addicted to gamblin on Ebay!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't need them that badly. I barely play the game anyway.

If rkoelsch can make more bucks on eBay, that's fine with me :)

Ferret

Staff member
I usualy don't install Duel of the Painswalkers - it's too buggy and had a tendency to crash a lot on me - especialy when there were a lot of permanents on the screen...I would usually just install the original and Spells of the Ancients and then install the patch...

-Ferret

"I miss my Plague Rat deck...45 45/45 creatures..."

N

Nightstalkers

There is a patch for the game w/ all three additions on that little site you showed me Spiderman

We'd like to get our hands on the online battling add-on...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, I looked before I posted the above. There's one for all three PLUS Manalink, whatever that is (I guess dueling over the Internet). There's nothing just for Duels like there is for Ancients, like the last patch.

N

Nightstalkers

For Ferret.

This is for Duels ONLY! Do NOT install Spells of the Ancients when you do this, you will not need it.

To install the game on XP:
Using compatibility mode set to Win 98, install just Duels of the Planeswalkers. Download the Manalink 1.32 patch from the archives page on our website, unzip it to any directory, and run setup. This will give you all the expansions ever made for the game, including all cards, and also allows the game to use the XP Operating System.
If you have any problem running the 1.32 patch, try installing the regular 1.3 patch, mtg_13us.exe first, then reboot and run the 1.32 patch. DO NOT install Spells of the Ancients, or use the Manalink patch for that expansion.
You may also have to experiment with having compatibility mode on and off to see which allows the game to run after the patch is installed, different systems seem to like it different ways.

And for Spiderman.

Version 0.3.2
(*&*) updated to work with version 1.3 of MicroProse ManaLink, still works with all previous versions of the game

N

Nightstalkers

That link you gave me has a link to download:

Duels Of The Planeswalkers Mana Link Patch

This ManaLink update is for owners of Duels Of The Planeswalkers and anyone who has installed the ManaLink multiplayer module. DO NOT install this with the original Magic: The Gathering game or Spells Of The Ancients UNLESS you have also installed ManaLink.

Download the file to your Desktop, double-click it, and follow the on-screen directions to install the update.

mtg_13us.exe - (2.36 Mb)

mtgml13.txt - (7.58 Kb)

And the history for the patch is:

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I understand that to read you need it if you have ManaLink or want to use it. If you don't but still want to use Duels, then it won't help you...

N

Nightstalkers

The patch history says that it was changed to support both the manalink/duels game and the original duels game.

Just backup the files and try it is the best advice that I can give you.

If you can distinguish between good and bad advice, you don't need advice.

I

Istanbul

Tickets are generally like $1 bills, because they can be bought in the store for $1 apiece. They're unofficial Magic Online currency.

I'm Istanbul on Magic Online, but you might be able to find me in another name. I can't go into it...stupid NDA...but let's just say that I help out newbies more than the average user.

Even if, for some reason, I thought there was a local place where people played Magic (there's not), I probably wouldn't rejoin it. Why, you may ask?

Reasons why Magic Online is better than paper Magic:
1. I can get a game anytime. Anytime at all. 3:30 am? No problem.
2. I can easily reference any card in the deck editor.
3. Built-in search engine in the deck editor.
4. Built-in filter in the collection tab.
5. Cards are automatically sorted in your collection when you get them.
6. No more B.O. from unhygenic opponents.
7. If an opponent is being a twit, I can block him.
8. I don't have to drive to B.F.E. to get a game.
9. I can *always* buy cards as long as I have money.
10. There's never a question about what plays are legal.
11. Drafts are available 24/7 instead of 'whenever we get enough people'.
12. Leagues provide for Limited play that doesn't affect my rating but still gives prizes.
13. RL trade pool: about 10. VR trade pool: about 50,000.
14. Informal auction room where bargains can be found.
15. Different areas for different skill levels.
16. Multiplayer games are super-easy to find, and rules are automatic.
17. My virtual cards can never be bent, dulled, burnt, stolen, lost, or otherwise harmed.
18. I can (and do) play Magic in my underwear.
19. Different trading areas depending on what you're looking for.
20. Premium events offer almost any format, and sometimes multipliers on prizes.

And that's just a small sampling. Magic Online r0xx0rs ur b0xx0rs - I wouldn't switch back for the world.

E

EricBess

Reasons why paper Magic is better than Magic Online:
1. No visual imagry of Istanbul playing in his underwear.

T

train

Responses to Reasons why Magic Online is better than paper Magic:
1. That has to be number one for a reason... but technology can fail, just like friends can be busy...
5. Would be nice if there was a machine for the cardboard versions...
6. just images of them in underwear only...:eek:
7. Blocking is just not the same as back-handing...
8. very valid point...
11. Don't you have to have enough people to draft in the online version...
14. In didn't know there was an auction room?!...
17. Ahhh, but the servers can crash, and the backups fail...
18. I'll remind myself to play "blindly" wehn facing Istanbul online..

But for most of those reasons - Online is better... it just takes out of the collection of a "CCG"... They're no longer cards, but digital pics...:rolleyes: ;)

O

orgg

Isty-- why underwear?

90% of the time, I don't even stop there!

Then again, this is Florida, and it's damned HOT down here...

N

Nightstalkers

Reasons why Paper Magic is better than Magic Online:
1. If I want to strangle my opponent, I can!
2. If I want to see and feel my cards, I can anytime I want.
3. With modern tools such as Magic Suitcase, I can research any card and check to see if I have it in stock.
4. I get to learn how to use the U.S. Postal Service to ship my cards to awaiting Ebay buyers.
5. My cards can be sorted anyway I choose. Be it by artist, color, or just how I darn well please.
6. No more B.S. from players from Tokyo.
7. If an opponent is being a twit, I can shove his Alpha Mox straight up his...
8. I can learn how to navigate to B.F.E.
9. I can *always* buy cards as long as I have money. *Duh*
10. There's always that expression when an opponent is proven wrong when he thinks I'm cheating.
11. Drafts are available whenever I feel like calling 25 people in my area.
12. Leagues provide limited replay ability because old people can't stop playing magic like it was chess.
13. RL trade pool: just about anything. VR trade pool: about 0 because the credit card was cancelled.
14. Ebay auction room where bargains can be found.
15. Different players for different skill levels.
16. Multiplayer games are funny as hell, and rules are fun to break.
17. My cards can be bent, dulled, burnt, stolen, lost, or otherwise harmed. And I can use them as proxies whenever I fell like my mountain is a mox instead of a crappy mountain.
18. I can (and do) play Magic in my underwear. Don't ask :rolleyes:
19. Different trading areas depending on what you're looking for.
20. Premium events offer hindsight, almost any format, and sometimes multipliers on prizes.

Is that all, or did I miss something?