MTG: On-line

W

whuppinboy

alright, since i'm the n00b here, from what i've been reading it doesn't sound like a whole lot of you here play the game on-line (or maybe i just haven't dug deep enuff yet) so.....

how many of you play on-line, what nick do you go by and how often?

i play on-line, no physical cards (though i've been thinking of using the card redemption feature since there's a Friday Night Magic League right up the road from where i live, but i work friday nights so that really wouldn't work out to well), my nick is whuppinboy and i'm on-line usually during the evening hours after 6pm EST and on Sunday mornings.

Cheers!

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, not a lot of people here play online AND are active here. In fact, the only one I can think of is rkoelsch. Some people who play online and post occasionally are Istanbul, theorgg, and SeFRo.

R

rkoelsch

Yes I play on line. my nick is rkoelsch there also. The Orgg has started a clan for the CPA members. Unfortunately I don't have a schedule just try to squeeze in play whenever I can. I will add you to my buddy list and we can try to hook up sometime

T

train

My nick is "thetrain" I get online every now and then... usually weekend mornings... I work Sundays though...

I'll have to look into this clan thing...

Ferret

Staff member
I'd like to try it out, but I have serious issues w/ buying cards that don't exist...

-Ferret

"I'd have to buy a lot of boosters to use the redemption..."

T

train

I agree Ferret... I've spent only 30.00 so far... and it's been 3 months, and that included the program...:rolleyes:

M

Mikeymike

I'd like to try it out, but I have serious issues w/ buying cards that don't exist...
I totally hear you Ferret.

But it could be worse, you could buy some stocks. :D

T

train

MM's got a good point. I think I'll keep investing in Magic.;)

W

whuppinboy

sorry to hear that you purchased the program. and by "the program" i'm assuming you mean the on-line client. it's now free for download, it's about 100 megs. the nice thing that they just did with MTG-Online is the redemption feature. any cards you buy online you can redeem for physical cards, including the foils!

but i can also see your point about playing online. if i was in an area that had a lot of Magic players, and i had the time to go and physically sit around with a group of people, i'd much rather do that. but i don't and the on-line feature works well for me, i can get on-line anywhere, anytime with my collection and not have to worry about bent cards, someone trying to steal them, etc.

don't get me wrong, i think playing someone face to face is a blast and i miss doing that part of it but you just can't beat the ease of use this offers =)

anyhoo, i have enuff investments in stocks :p

T

train

sorry to hear that you purchased the program. ...the nice thing that they just did with MTG-Online is the redemption feature. any cards you buy online you can redeem for physical cards, including the foils!
The program I purchased might have been the on-line client?... I don't know - I just know it had the $9.99 redemption certificate so I could purchase something right away if I wanted to.

As for the redemption - you have to have an entire set to perform the redemption. Does that seem pretty easy or does it seem a little hard?...

A

arhar

Originally posted by whuppinboy
the nice thing that they just did with MTG-Online is the redemption feature. any cards you buy online you can redeem for physical cards, including the foils!
Whoa whoa whoa, hold on there. You mean now you can redeem any online card for a physical card? In that case, I might give in, but if it's still 'redeem entire sets' kinda deal, then NO FRICKIN' WAY!

Ferret

Staff member
As for the redemption - you have to have an entire set to perform the redemption. Does that seem pretty easy or does it seem a little hard?...
Well, we can always set up our own little card-trading group...but again, that would take a lot of money that would be better spent buying the actual cards...

-Ferret

"...how about a reverse redemption program that lets me trade in my real cards for online ones?"

W

whuppinboy

sorry guys, i mis-reported. i just looked it up and it's for sets only :( but look me up, i'm usually in the casual or advanced room goofing off :D and train, you're right, i downloaded the same client, and you have to purchase it for $9.99, otherwise you can only play with their theme decks, and that just doesn't match playing with your own cards :)
i will say though, the people on-line can either be really cool or really wimpy. for example, i have a no creature all destroy deck with only two land destruction cards in it, i played "lay waste" instead of cycling it, after i "wasted" his only blue land he types in"sorry, i don't play LD" and conceded. lol !
the best people i've played against have been in either the free tourneys (when a new set is released) or in the advanced room. they're cool, they don't whine, they laugh stuff off and i've learned quite a bit from 'em.
but if i don't see y'all on-line, i don't, and if i do, awesome!

oh, and train, it is pretty easy to redeem the sets, just click and go.

N

Nightstalkers

It takes money to play M:TGOL and we still have to cut the budget somemore...

Mabe shutdown temporal research

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
but i can also see your point about playing online. if i was in an area that had a lot of Magic players, and i had the time to go and physically sit around with a group of people, i'd much rather do that. but i don't and the on-line feature works well for me, i can get on-line anywhere, anytime with my collection and not have to worry about bent cards, someone trying to steal them, etc.
See, this argument is basically what we (the CPA) said when MTGO was still in beta and becoming known. If you have players in your area, you probably wouldn't want to go online but if that's your only choice, there's really no difference in buying virtual cards vs. real cards.

Plus, like people said, you might find cool people who have already played for a while and be willing to give you their extra cards to help out or I remember there was a promotion month where something like tournament entries were free once a week or something real cheap (for Sealed or draft).

W

whuppinboy

yup, when they release Scourge, they'll have free Sealed deck tournies. like when Onslaught and Legions were released they only thing you had to buy was an Onslaught tourny deck and 2 Onslaught/Legions boosters, joined a tourney, and played ! but since you had to buy the deck and boosters i guess you can't really call it a "free" tourney :p

R

rkoelsch

The argument against buying virtual cards against "real" cards always eludes me. I have thousands of "real" cards that are collecting dust because it is hard to find someone to play but I play every week with my virtual cards. Which are worth more virtual cards or the real cards? I know what my answer would be.

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by rkoelsch
The argument against buying virtual cards against "real" cards always eludes me. I have thousands of "real" cards that are collecting dust because it is hard to find someone to play but I play every week with my virtual cards. Which are worth more virtual cards or the real cards? I know what my answer would be.
That's a good point. If no one is around to play, it's best to go online...we might even try to promote a 'Casual League' to encourage less-serious play...

-Ferret

"....I'm still mulling the idea over..."

N

Nightstalkers

Are there any of the older cards online? Its just that fact that there will be no casual league until a few more sets come out.

Or you just have a bunch of people killing themselves over churning out one — more — strategy.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think it stops at a certain point like the Odyssey block or the one before that.

I think you can still play "casual" with what they have - creature-themed decks especially.