MTG: On-line

W

whuppinboy

it goes all the way back to 7th Edition, Invasion, Planeshift, Apocalypse, Odyssey, Torment, Judgement, Onslaught, Legions and next up: Scourge :) and then 8th edition

they've got 4 different rooms you can go into(i don't remember the exact name of them so i'm trying to get as close as i can), Beginner's, First Timers, Casual, Advanced. and they also have a multiplayer room with all the bells and whistles.

T

train

WOTC said nothing before 7th/Invasion block would be included in M:TGO unless it was specifically a promo card of some sort...

They also said that it's format rotations would be the same as the real-life format rotations.:)

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by train
WOTC said nothing before 7th/Invasion block would be included in M:TGO unless it was specifically a promo card of some sort...

They also said that it's format rotations would be the same as the real-life format rotations.:)
Lovely. So, they started where I finished...seems almost apropriate...

-Ferret

"...fortunately, I can still buy older cards at local gaming shops :)"

M

Mr_Pestilence

I would love to play online, if there was a flat monthly fee.

However, one thing still bothers me - If I play online, why would I want to redeem for physical cards, and if I play physical magic, why do I need magic online?

Also, why is online Magic only going to be type II? What happens to those e-cards you've accumulated when set rotations take place?

J

Jigglypuff

Originally posted by Mr_Pestilence

Also, why is online Magic only going to be type II? What happens to those e-cards you've accumulated when set rotations take place?
You know, I seem to recall them saying something about an Online Extended, but I can't remember any information on it nor can I find any links.

(- Steve -)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Mr. P: You might be going through changes in your life (like moving) where you suddenly either gain or lose access to a real-life playgroup and need to trade in or get out of MTGO... that's one scenario I can think of.

I would think that if MTGO follows real-life set rotations, there's going to have to be a "limited" Extended environment to handle the sets rottated out. In fact, there should be one now if Invasion block has already rotated out when Onslaught block rotated in...

W

whuppinboy

there is, here's the linky to an example: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=sideboard/mi02/extrecap

when creating your online deck, you have the option to choose from Online Extended, Online Standard, blocks or use all your cards :cool:

the majority of online tourneys they have going on now only go back as far as Odyssey block since the others have been rotated out.

L

Lotus Mox

There is an Online Extended format, containing all sets available right now. When RL Extended rotates next time, it will be the exactly the same as Online Extended then.
I guess WotC will create an Online Type I format or so, when Invasion rotates out of Extended.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, really? That's another three total blocks that will be knocked out of Extended...

I don't think they'll call it Type 1 though (or if they do, that's a bad idea). People will get on thinking it'll match the actual Type 1 and be a bit disappointed...

R

rkoelsch

Well I will say I like the limited play. I like leagues, sealed deck played over 4 weeks with a chance to win boosters. 8 man draft is fun and they recently added a 4-3-2-2 payout that makes it very easy to continue drafting for less. Besides the multiplayer room they have some casual formats that are enforced by the program Singelton(their name for highlander), Prismatic(their 5 color), Tribal Wars(33% of deck must be one creature type)

If you have access to a nice magic play group or store then Online is probably not for you. Probably the best thing for me is I can play when I have time not when others are available. I can play in the morning before work or if I decide to stay up late or I stay home from work sick. It is just very convenient.

Yes it would be nice if I had access to all the cards, or if it didn't cost so much for boosters. But I am willing to forego those for the convenience.

N

Nightstalkers

then why would a casual Type I player like me want to even consider spooling out hundreds of dollars to build up a collection to play a game that is *gag* straight forward?

W

whuppinboy

straight forward meaning, no physical interaction? yea it does lack that but again, for the casual player that i am and doesn't really care if the player across from me says anything, it works well for me. granted that doesn't stop me from typing to the other player for annoyance sake ;) but you can still run across some really cool people playing on-line. and what's the difference of where you spend your hundreds of dollars if you're getting the exact same cards, whether they be on-line or physical? i do miss laying all my cards out to see what new combos or themes i can come up with and that is one thing the online client lacks, you have to scroll through your collection and look at one card at a time :( and yes, i've noticed i keep contradicting myself :p

D

Dark_Tira

Hey, I play online alot. My nickname is the same as here. I usually hang out in the casual multiplayer games room if you want to find me.

W

whuppinboy

suh-weet, i'll do that ! :D

although i don't play multiplayer hardly at all, usually just 1v1's. i do have a rocking prismatic deck right at 250 card count. utilizing slide and rift and all the cards except for a few land grabbers are all cyclable :cool:

N

Nightstalkers

Straight forward as in not confusing the players. (Kicked out of two Type I tournaments because of a games that people had to pull out the rulebooks to verify the legallity of my movements)

When playing a game that is completely insane using older cards that make up strategy that is completely off the wall, you want to be able to duplicate that stuff anywhere.

Ferret

Staff member
Well, I did it last night. I downloaded it and registered. Picked up a Green Legions theme deck (you would not believe how many Elves I have) and three boosters of Legions. I spent about four hours playing random decks and I tell you right now, my love of the game is back - seriously back. Since all of the cards that are in the game (save 7th Edition) were printed after I left the game, so I feel like I'm getting a fresh start w/ the game. I only have about a hundred cards and about 25 forests (guess which colour I play the most!), but it's proving to be fun... it shouldn't be hard to find me: my handle's FerretCPA.

-Ferret

"Elf deck on Elf deck is madenning - trust me on this one..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Boy, at the rate I'm going with my real-life group (one of them is getting married this summer and moving to PA), I might have to look into this. Unfortunately, I barely get enough time to play regular type games on my computer so don't know if I can get time to play MTGO...

W

whuppinboy

oh Ferrett, elf decks are seriously fun right now, with onslaught and legions producing some kick butt elves, can't wait to see what scourge has in store. :D

hooked up with the orgg last night on-line, that was fun. we played a couple games, he's a cool guy :)

T

train

Maybe I'll see you online sometime Ferret... If so I'd be running a G/W deck... I've bought about as much as you have, maybe a little more.

Hopefully I'll see some CPAers when I get on...

And Spidey, just let M:TGO replace all the other games you currently play...:D ;)

I haven't had mush time to get online game-wise as I've been reading the Comp. Rules over and over again... Running and Judging 1.5 tourneys makes life interesting... And I'm still arguing "type" with one player as I try to kill off his lands with a Kamahl fist of Krosa, and a Pernicious deed for 0... He'll come around eventually...:rolleyes: