Lord of the Rings LCG 4 Player Game Actions

B

boogiepop

Nope. Not unless the other player's character has the Ranged ability.

Engaging an Enemy is like saying "this one is my problem. I'll have to deal with it."

R

rokapoke

I could sacrifice Henamarth Riversong and then kill the patrol with Glorfindel...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I think losing my Spearmen would be better than the Riversong, since they actually have a useful ability while the Spearmen are pretty much fodder. So I vote for that unless someone has a better idea.

B

boogiepop

Excellent. So during our optional engagements, Spidey chooses to engage the Patrol. In step 2, the Forest Spider comes to me by default.

Combat Phase.
The Forest Spider is dealt a shadow card.
The East Bight Patrol is dealt a shdow card.

I choose the Guard of the Cital to defend, tapping him.
The shadow card is flipped. It is Forest Spider
Shadow: Defending player must choose and discard one attachment he controls.
I have no attachments, therefore there is no effect.
The Forest Spider's attack is increased for this turn (and this turn only,) bringing it to 3.
The Guard has 0 Defense and only 2 Hit points so it dies.

Next, Spidey exhausts the Gondolin Spearman to defend the Patrol's attack.
The shadow card is flipped. It is Dol Guldur Orcs
Shadow: Attacking enemy gets +1 attack. (+3 attack instead if this attack is undefended.)
That brings the Patrol's attack to 4. The Spearman only has 1 Defense and 1 HP so that kills him.

Now for our attacks.
I choose Aragorn an Gloin as attackers and exhaust them both. Their combined attack strength is now 5. The Forest Spider's defense is 1 so the attack is reduced to 4. The Spider only has 4 HP so that kills it.

Spidey exhausts Gimli. Gimli's attack of 2 is reduced to 1 due to the Patrol's defense of 1. This is enough to kill it, too.

The combat phase is now complete.

Before we move on to the final phase, in which we refresh (untap) and raise our threat levels by 1, would anyone like to perform any actions? (We're looking at you, rokapoke, heh.)

B

boogiepop

I'm fine. I've got plenty to use resources on next turn.
How about Riversong? Would you like to take a gander at our next Encounter card?

R

rokapoke

Right then. I'll do that. Let's peek at the next Encounter card.

B

boogiepop

Correction Made

I copy and pasted the attributes of Spiderman's ally without realizing that important information was missing.
His Gondorian Spearman should read:
Sentinel. Response: After Gondorian Spearman is declared as a defender, deal 1 damage to the attacking enemy.

By merely declaring the Spearman as a defender, he would have dealt the finishing blow to the East Bight Patrol. Therefore, the Spearman is alive and well.

R

rokapoke

So, I don't get all these locations. How do they affect our ability to complete the quest?

B

boogiepop

They can contribute a consideral amount of Threat during the questing phase. Recall that if our combined Willpower during the questing phase is less than the combined Threat of all the cards in the Staging Area, we have to increase our Threat Levels by the difference. Unlike enemies, we can't simply engage locations so as to remove their threat contribution; we have to explore them. And since we can only explore one location at a time, they can easily start to pile up. It can eventually get to the point at which we cannot muster enough Willpower to explore the location we're working on, and then it snowballs into a huge problem.

Or to put it simply, the vicious cycle becomes:
1. We don't have enough willpower to explore the location we're working on, so... 2
2. The game stalls and more cards (like locations) are added to the staging area, making it so that... 1

B

boogiepop

Well, I think rokapoke was waiting for someone to ask about drawing an extra card. (See Gleowine.)
Just to keep things moving, in the next step we refresh (untap) all our characters (except poor Denethor :( ) and raise each of our threat levels by one. The next player in order then becomes the first player. That completes one full game round.

On the next round, we'll again draw one card each and add one resource to each of our heroes' resource pools.
In phase 2, we'll play our attachment and ally cards in turn order. I'll switch the original post around to reflect this change.

So...
1. rokapoke will give someone a Christmas card.
2. We'll each draw one card.
3. turgy will play his allies and attachements, then Spiderman, etc.

EDIT: I added to our threat levels, marked us as each having collected our resources and drawn a card, etc.

Wow. I forgot that about the Spearmen too. Wooo!
Don't forget that it has the Sentinal keyword as well. That means it can defend for anyone during the defensive part of that player's combat phase. See a creature with just one HP left? Defend for a free kill! :)

R

rokapoke

Eh, I'll just give myself an extra card -- I'm the only one who played two cards last turn.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I will play Power in the Earth (Attach to a location. Attached location gets -1 Threat Strength.) on Necromancer's Pass.

B

boogiepop

That's always helpful.
From which hero's pool should the resource point be pulled?