Linux Troubleshooting Storm: A New Beginning (from the makers of Crapstorm)

turgy22

Nothing Special
"Did anybody notice how much time passed between the first soldiers leaving the gate and the other soldiers appearing?"
McGill estimates the amount of time between the soldiers leaving and the other soldiers appearing was between 7 and 12 seconds.

turgy22

Nothing Special
No. It went a day without being fed and stopped moving and then someone else (Ward, I think) fed it.

If your intention is to starve your baby die to death, that's fine. You can stop feeding it.

EDIT: Also, was McGill going somewhere with his time inquiry? I thought that information might have some impact on what he wants to do.

R

rokapoke

McGill had been hoping for a larger time window -- to sneak in between one set of guards and another. That doesn't seem particularly plausible, given the short time.

D

DarthFerret

pete and repete have been plaugued with retail christmas merchandising, so will readily be led anywhere.

Melkor

(I remembered that the die lived as I was typing, but didn't want to let the repetition go unused)

In comparison to the other plans, Ward's plan has the distinct advantage of already existing, so lets do it.

turgy22

Nothing Special
More information to mull before the plan kicks into action:

As the party prepares itself, another pair of foot soldiers walks around the compound, this time continuing along the wall past the closed gate and then further around the perimeter in the same direction the first pair of soldiers moved until they're eventually out of sight. Roughly a minute and a half passed between the disappearance of the first pair and the appearance of this new pair of soldiers stalking about the perimeter.

Melkor's Ghost prepares to pass through the wall by attempting to pass through a tree, but he's too solid. The effort, however, dropped his solidity slightly. He estimates that he could climb his way over the wall, albeit more slowly than Pete, or he could continue dropping his solidity by mashing himself on trees until he's in a more liquid or gaseous state whereupon he could easily slip through the cracks in the compound wall.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ugh. I can't believe I let this go for a whole week. Time to decide what happens next...

Pete, Pikachu and Melkor's Ghost move toward the wall as soon as things look clear. Pete goes first, climbing to the top of the wall and peering over for a better view before descending. Here's what he sees:

His view is from roughly the center of the compound, long-ways. Directly in front of him, there is a rectangular building with two windows facing Pete's direction. He doesn't see anyone inside, nor can he tell where the door might be, as he can only clearly see one wall and the roof. There's an alley about 6 feet wide between where Pete is on the wall and the building across from him.
To his right and roughly centered (short-ways) in the compound, there is a circular windowless hut. Two foot soldiers are standing on the near side of the hut chatting. They don't seem to have noticed Pete. Beyond the hut is the front gate of the compound, currently closed. Pete can't tell from his position how it operates.
To his left, there is an open space where the compound widens. Roughly half a dozen foot soldiers are engaging in leisurely activities, such as sparring, playing bocce and sunbathing. Beyond the open area and against the farthest left wall of the compound, there are five rectangular buildings decreasing in size from left to right. The largest is about half the size of the first building Pete saw. The smallest is a little smaller than a shed.

From his current position, Pete doesn't see an obvious place to "sneak" in. If he drops straight down into the alley, he's likely to be spotted by foot soldiers on both sides. He can hop across to the roof of the largest building directly across from him, but if anyone's inside, he'll be heard and it's unlikely that his companions can make the jump. He could also drop down and immediately attempt to squeeze into one of the windows of the large building (Melkor's Ghost and Pikachu should have no trouble doing the same), but again, if anyone's inside that building, he'll be spotted immediately. Alternatively, the burglaring group can move along the outside of the wall in an attempt to find a better spot to sneak in.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ward will attempt to herd McGill toward the front gate, then strum on his banjo and get McGill to join in on the violin, while singing that they are musical mercenaries hired by cobbler elves to destroy the enemies of boots. Once he has their attention, Ward will recruit McGill to help him use his granite gargoyle as a battering ram against the front gate.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Ward and McGill make their way to the front gate. As Ward begins playing his banjo and singing off-key, one of the metal frog statues in front of the gate moves. It blinks its eyes, which are now glowing ominously red. Then it takes a menacing hop toward Ward. It seems intent on hurting him.

Battle! Ward and McGill are fighting a steel toad.

Meanwhile, from his perch atop the wall, Pete sees the foot soldiers inside the compound begin to scramble at the sound of Ward's banjo playing. The two outside the hut, closest to the gate, climb up some previously-unnoticed ladders that are leaning against the side of the wall, so they can peer over in front of the gate. Another soldier exits the large rectangular building that Pete first spotted. Five soldiers in the open area of the compound put down what they were doing and run toward the gate, standing directly behind it, in case anything gets through. Another soldier looks around for his shirt. Pete can also hear footsteps approaching from outside the compound, as two of the patrol soldiers double back toward the front gate. He'll have to act quickly if he doesn't want to be spotted.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Pikachu can't see the steel toad from where he's standing. In fact, he, Pete and Melkor's Ghost aren't even aware that it exists. From where they're standing, they could hear banjo music, followed by a faint sound of creaking metal coming from the front of the compound. Basically, those three are on the side of a building (with Pete atop the wall, looking in) and Ward, McGill and the toad are in the front. If I have time tomorrow, I'll draw a picture.

So, if he wants, Pikachu can run toward the noise, but he won't arrive to fight until at least one round is complete. Also, that would run counter to Ward's plan as outlined earlier.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, I didn't know what Pikachu was seeing. I also don't know if the plan has changed because of the attack, so I'll await Ward's direction

R

rokapoke

"I dunno if this will work..."

McGill swings his gold violin at the steel toad, hoping that the Mohs scale is wrong.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ward uses Sophia as a shield against the charging amphibian.

Steel yourself, Sophia. We must fight this creature toe-to-toe. Once the beast is slain, I shall recruit the cobbler elves to craft some steel toad boots from its hide.

D

DarthFerret

pete will weave a sticky web and thfow it below, trying to entangle as many feet soldiers as possible.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Ward whispers something to McGill about how he hopes the others are taking advantage of this distraction and sneaking past the soldiers instead of attacking them.