How good is Phage?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Bah, Volrath's Shapeshifter is the card that works with Phage...

And that's because the Shapeshifter's good, not because Phage is, but whatever works...

T

train

I'm actually looking more at Platinum Angel and Phage... it's a nice combo for Sneak Attack, Hunting grounds and everything...;)

C

chocobo_cid

Soo...

Sneak Attack.
Platinum Angel/Stifle
Phage.
Endless Whispers.

Yep, that's pretty elaborate.

T

train

you don't need the whispers...

and I wouldn't run stifle...

so just sneak, angel, phage... that could be a typical hand...

and it's not that hard with necro or bargain already out for the engine, and something to search with...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Wouldn't sneaking in a Serra Avatar or its new replacement from Darksteel be better than a mere 4/4...

I mean, they could just block it...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Presumably you'd be getting rid of any blockers... that's why you want Phage to hit them once, which is about the same as an Avatar coming through or another fattie....

Although it would be pretty funny to put out Platinum Angel, then Phage, and in response have your opponent get rid of the Angel... :)

N

Nightstalkers

Finally got to face Phage again...

Friend was playing a B/W deck with a Phage and Akroma... Crappy deck, but he's revamped it to actually work some.

Anyways, I'm playing my messed up big creature elf deck and building up a large army of elves because he's paranoid of large creatures. Finally he's at 15 and plays Phage, I've got a large force of little hippy tree huggers (aka: elves). At the end I had 20 life and he had 0 (thank goodness for Elven Riders). He went rambling on about how it wasn't a close game....

He's got Avatar of Woe, Phage, the Untouchable, and a bunch of support creatures out... One tap from Phage and I'm dog food.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
So, Phage/Sneak Attack is similar to Avatar/Sneak Attack, except that one is a 4/4 that will kill whatever blocks it usually and will kill any player it damages. The other is a 20/20 or so that kills whatever blocks it usually and probably kills any player who doesn't block it. But Phage takes an extra card just to get out with Sneak Attack, and if that fails you lose...

I think I'd rather go with Avatar in that situation...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sure, if you're looking for the best way to kill someone with Sneak. If you're looking to play Phage in a Sneak deck though, then this is one possible combo.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Fair enough...

I would still go with Volrath's Shapeshifter...

But the Angel being killed in response to the Sneak Attack's ability would be funny...

Using black heavy seems best...

Dark Rit makes Phage playable without Sneak Attack, and also makes it easier to cast Sneak Attack or Platinum Angel...

Plus Necro is broken and tutors could help find stuff...

You could even put in stuff to kill potential blockers or use discard strategies to prevent opposing disruption...

C

chocobo_cid

Volrath's Shapeshifter
Infiltrate/Phantom Warrior, etc.
Phage

T

train

Well... the sneak deck I run usually doesn't take long to win out...

it's holding 4 nicol bolas, which speak for themselves... the avatars, the hellions, and soon to be included - Phage and angels... still thinking on this though - Darksteel colossus seems to be a mighty strong suiter......

It got worse once I decided to run contaminations and Symbiotic wurms!....

the old play was the weatherseed treefolk, and the shivan phoenix - still worth having - but they take time to beat down...;)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
:eek:

That's just not right. If you try to do that, you deserve to have the Phage Flickered before you can kill it...

T

train

The only thing that doesn't need to be in a sneak deck - is anything blue...

:D

N

Nightstalkers

I'm thinking... there isn't a way to put a critter into play for your opponent (i.e. summon Phage from your hand and it comes into play for your opponent).

That would be hillarious.

T

train

actually - they could spelljack a card of yours... and then you could mindslaver them...

did I just say that?...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about trying to surprise your opponent, but there's at least one blue counter card where if the spell is a summon/creature card successfully countered, you put the creature into play under your control... can't remember what it is offhand though, maybe from Ice Age or Alliances.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Desertion from Visions perhaps?

It's pretty costly though, but it seems to be what you have in mind...

Wouldn't really help against Sneak Attack, of course, but it would definitely be fun to surprise someone with it...