How good is Phage?

E

EricBess

Oh, one other thing on Phage. The "you lose" ability of Phage is a triggered ability. As such, it can be stopped by that new counterspell that counters a triggered ability. :D

Ferret

Staff member
I got totally wasted by someone playing a Phage/Elf Deck. They used that one Elf that you tap to get mana of any one colour for every elf in play. He only had a couple (including a 'Taunter), but unforuntaly, I had three in play. She came out on turn three. On turn four, he attacked w/ Phage and and the 'Tauter. I lost - boy, did I lose...

-Ferret

"She's bad - real bad..."

S

Skyrider

heck if you play B/G you can just drop a Primal Frenzy, or a Run Wild, or any number of other trample giving cards on Phage, pump and win.

T

train

Oh, one other thing on Phage. The "you lose" ability of Phage is a triggered ability. As such, it can be stopped by that new counterspell that counters a triggered ability.
I couldn't have mentioned a better point EB...

Ferret - sounds like you need an Engineered Plague!...;)

Ferret

Staff member
Originally posted by train
I couldn't have mentioned a better point EB...

Ferret - sounds like you need an Engineered Plague!...;)
...and a few swamps and other Zombies and more black cards and....

-Ferret

"...resisting urge to buy more cards..."

N

Nightstalkers

That is why you save those two islands untapped and the counterspell in hand...

Buying cards from this new set is now something I look forward to doing now that I am out of that hole in the clay.

N

NorrYtt

You can cycle a Dirge of Dread to break through with Phage. Even if you don't, you must understand she is the most threatening creature ever. Your opponent cannot let her through.

How about simply regenerating her every turn with something like Yavimaya Hollow? I can't think of a decent black regenerating card...

Z

zendahl

What about donating her to your opponet? Would that make them loose?

E

EricBess

No, because Donate just switches controllers. It doesn't make her come into play.

N

Nightstalkers

Donate goes with illusions of graneur though...

just trying to help

N

Nightstalkers

Ha! Isn't the world in enough turmoil as it is without bringing the courts into this?

Oh, you mean the card...

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

FD on Phage
Donate FD
Get rid of Phage somehow
Have it return to opponent's control and watch him automatically lose.

S

Skyrider

Wouldn't donating phage just do the trick by itself? It would count as "coming into play".

N

Nightstalkers

no it wouldn't! the same goes with Illusions of Grandeur, if you donate your illusions to your opponent, he has to pay the comulative upkeep of (2) or he loses 20 life without the benefit of gaining the 20 in the first place.

Let me put it this way, if you donate it, where does it go? it never left play, so it cannot come back into play.

Damn! I had to explain that to a judge once. :mad:

R

Rooser

I'd also like to suggest that giving her first strike is mighty cruel too, since all the new stoning effects are worded to work at the time of the damage going on the stack, not at the end of combat, (Like with Thicket Basilisk and Cockatrice).

N

Nightstalkers

If I were given a choice b/w first strike and trample, I'd stick with trample