How good is Phage?

E

EricBess

Right, but my point is that Stifle is good in a lot of situations, not just that. A deck built around a combo needs to have cards that are good independent of each other as well and I think that most people don't realize how good Stifle is in general (not just the combo with Phage).

And you are right anyway. I don't think it will see much tournament play as long as Astral Slide is in the environment (just how many Stifle are you running?) But it could be really fun for casual play.

N

Nightstalkers

Thats a good point right there, all cards should have a great stand alone effect, or just have a lot of combo's in the library.

I'm currently creating a T3 protection goes crazy deck and have been running into problems finding the cards I need to build it.

N

Nightstalkers

I used to have this great protection from opponent and myself deck which I've mixed up with a few hundred other cards :rolleyes: not my fault of course :rolleyes: and I'm just trying to create a deck which boasts:

1. protection from opponents color.
2. destruction of opponents color
3. total passifism of opponents color.

If all goes well, the new "bigger is better" idea will work in me favor :D

Alter Reality is so fun

Attachments

S

Skyrider

"joel I'm scared". you've gotta show me that decklist when you're done!

N

Nightstalkers

I gots this wierd idea to use the 'ol Paladins for destruction... so far I've gotten two Northern Paladins.

M

mythosx

this isn't type 2 but what about sneak attacks?

is it technically playing it from your hand?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by EricBess
Right, but my point is that Stifle is good in a lot of situations, not just that. A deck built around a combo needs to have cards that are good independent of each other as well and I think that most people don't realize how good Stifle is in general (not just the combo with Phage).
Oh yeah, I agree with that. I was just naming a specific situation here since there was already a Phage thread and it lends itself more to casual play, which I'm more familiar with.

mythosx: I'm pretty sure (without looking at the card right now) you have to hard-cast it; anything else will trigger the "you lose" clause.

E

EricBess

Originally posted by mythosx
this isn't type 2 but what about sneak attacks?

is it technically playing it from your hand?
No, it is not playing it from your hand. It is putting it into play from your hand, which is something very different. Playing it from your hand is very specific. You must pay the cost (or an alternate cost, such as Dream Halls would provide) of the spell itself and it must go through the stack.

M

mythosx

ah i see...i forgot the wording on sneak attack...thanx for hte correction folks. phage is a total instant win whore..just like those 5 enchantments and coalition victory.... no fun.

C

chocobo_cid

Phage The Untouchable has gone crazy with Endless Whispers.

A BR deck could use sneak attack with those two cards to create an easy win condition.

There's always fun with Volrath's Shapeshifter, but I like this better. Any other interactions?

H

Homestar

i dunno, if i had phage, i would make a B/U deck. infiltrates, tutors, lightning greaves, whispersilk cloak. or you could splash white for phage, donate, and mirror strike.

T

train

If you're donating phage - they probably know some trick is around the corner...;)

H

Homestar

could've been, not sure. i think nightstalkers suggested it.

T

train

Sneak Attack does work with Humility or stifle - then just get rid of the humility!...;)

Actually - it also works with Platinum Angel...;)

M

mythosx

sure we could play with humility...er...actually we can't cuz the instant you play with a humility and some one plays any spell targeting any creatures you have a problem...