How good is Phage?

B

BigBlue

in multi player casual? I just got 2 in 5 packs to go with the one I already had, and I'm curious if she is worth building around.

I know there were discussions long ago, but I was curious what actual experiences people were having with her are. I was thinking of either a feared, swampwalking, or unblockable (using U)... she wears a huge target, so using enchantments seems really tempo poor (even in MP)...

J

Jigglypuff

She wears a huge target. So does her controller. Robe of Mirrors and Alexi's Cloak can make her untargetable permanently. Mage's Guile can also do the same thing temporarily and can also cycle. Blue is also good for making her unblockable. Think about Cloak of Mists, Traveler's Cloak, etc. The advantage to all of the cards that I mentioned is that they are cheap, both in terms of cash and in terms of casting cost. I think a blue/black Phage deck, using blue's enchantments and blue and black's control elements could do pretty well in a MP game.

(- Steve -)

B

BigBlue

I also like the fact that she's Bribery Proof.... :) a couple fellow blue mages use Bribery... I wonder if a deck with Only her as a creature could make it... even if it is B/U... Love to see someone bribery her into play :)

N

Nightstalkers

I just use the old Nightstalker deck with the Quicksilver Amulets and the Lake of the Dead... other than the Avatar's and other big meanies the deck does pretty good shooting out support Nightstalkers before the bigger baddies get out.

2nd turn: Lurking Nightstalker

3rd-4th Turn: Quicksilver Amulet
after that: something big during your turn...

S

Shiro, Time Devourer

Green likes her too. I've beaten one key combo to death with her involving some Onslaught block stuff like Taunting Elf and Steely Resolve. If Planar Guide is around, Smother him before he has a chance.

N

Nightstalkers

what could white do? Black and white have the possability of being a bore in the type II area, along with the unstable shift of nothingness in artifacts and lands... lets just put it this way, Black and white are going to be played out because of zombies and clerics, so is Blue White with slivers.

Its only a matter of time before somebody figures out the perfect combo with poor phage that is unbeatable... unless you know the very stupid weakness.

T

train

It's not hard to win with Phage... It's hard to not lose with her... only blue can really protect itself with her...

N

Nightstalkers

who would play a real nasty Phage deck anyways? Its about as fun as playing a humungo burn deck that kills on the second turn. Sure you have fun the first couple hundred games, but you eventually run out of people to beat down and you become like josh in the corner.

B

BigBlue

If she was slid.... wouldn't you lose? or is that like phasing, so CIP effects wouldn't happen?

Astral Slide -

Whenever a player cycles a card, you may remove target creature from the game. If you do, return that creature to play under its owner's control at end of turn.

N

Nightstalkers

good question!

From the "official rules summary" from www.crystalkeep.com :

E.3.Ruling.5 - 'Comes into play' abilities trigger no matter how the card
is put into play. There is only one exception--phasing a card in will
never trigger such abilities. See Rule G.27.9. [D'Angelo 1998/02/03]

E.3.1 - A card which says "When <name of this card> comes into play,
do <something>" sets up a triggered ability (see Rule A.4) which will
trigger only on itself coming into play. After that, the ability is
inactive. [WotC Rules Team 1998/03/31]

I would say yes, but I wouldn't be completely shure on it.

T

train

The person controlling the slide would then cause their opponent to lose... when Phage comes in of course...

That is a correct ruling nightstalkers...

so if you controlled the slide and phage, and donated phage to your opponent - could you then win by sliding her out...

no...

anyone now... why?

B

BigBlue

Because YOU own Phage and she'll come back under your control without being played from your hand.

Now, if you started an old Skool Ante game and used cards like Shaharazad and lost the small game with Phage as Ante of the subgame, your opponent could **own** phage and if they used Living wish to get it and played it...... :D :D :D

Actually... can you use a wish to grab an Ante card?

T

train

No - ante had it's own zone... they weren't removed from the game...

N

Nightstalkers

Please shut up SATAN! Son of a...

Sorry. You need to find a way to kill your opponent with Phage, or have him kill himself without even knowing it or without him/her being able to stop it. Then you have the perfect deck.

As opposed to those Iraqi's fighting a fight from three sides.

Target Acquired....

Stupid piece of... think ya work the bugs outta the thing and it has a mind of its own!

S

Skyrider

As a note, the last time I heard, if someone plays Phage on you and you Astral Slide it, that player loses. Just to confirm.

I've got a friend that tried to sac Phage to Volrath the Fallen and then Oath of Druids her into play, just to see if he could make himself lose on purpose. Then again this is the same player who finds enjoyment in crushing people with Werebears and Birds of Paradise just to humiliate them.

I think it might be more fun trying to think up cool ways to lose from playing Phage than winning.

N

NorrYtt

I have a friend with a Phage in his deck. The best time to drop Phage is in a group game just after a Wrath of God. I watched her kill 4 opponents in a row.

Phage possesses the most powerful creature ability in the game (the 2nd best one is on Arcanis the Omnipotent).

Phage is best in a group game where she can pick and choose who to attack. In a duel, Visara the Dreadful is better in all respects, as most games where Phage would win you the game, Visara will too and then some.

T

train

Phage possesses the most powerful creature ability in the game
I think she has the most powerful creature ability... There's just so much removal out there... (and I only have 1...)

N

Nightstalkers

Place a creature from your hand into play.

Why does a high level judge and his cohort get the rulings on phage wrong? :Brokendown:

M

Mikeymike

Although I don't have the heart to build a Phage deck, if I did I'd try to have some fun with Vernal Equinox...along with a way to clear a path for her on the next turn.

At 3BBBB I suppose it is required that you play Dark Ritual as well.

Originally posted by NorrYtt
I have a friend with a Phage in his deck. The best time to drop Phage is in a group game just after a Wrath of God. I watched her kill 4 opponents in a row.
Did she run Rout as well, or just WoG?