fine tuned straight burn

M

mythosx

browbeat and ball lightnings are great additions...im not sure what i should swap out for those though... Ball lightnings are hard to come by and I dont feel like dropping 20 bucks a pop for something marginally better. I can spend 2r and 2 cards for six damage on sparks or 3r and 1 card for the same. In any other situation it would be the better choice but when your talking about maxing out the mana curve of three turns, spending 3r for 6 points of damage is low as i can often play a scent for 5 or 6 zap a bolt for a total of 9 damage on turn 3.

I dont use sonic burst as it is too slow. i used to have em...But they would actually make the kill average to around turn 5.3 and 6.4 respectively.

Fork and wheel of fortunes are way too slow to be considered. After I empty my initial hand they have to be dead or im pretty much boned. Drawing a one and only wheel is too off chance to help. I used to run it. Forks do nothing on there own and are far too situational to help and I consistantly do not make the forth land drop and still must be able to kill. If I cant make the forth land drop my options of spells to fork are probably mountain blast or a bolt of some sort. It is too limiting to be effective.

All other creatures ball lightning and spark elemental are too slow. Mogg fanatic comes close as I can only eek out 2 points of damage from it which is a shock and as you can see it isnt in my deck. Blistering firecat is too slow as it will slow down the rest of hand. Don't doubt the power of the spark elemental. On turn one its basically a third lighting bolt. That means 20% of the deck is a spell that will trade 1 mana for 3 points of damamge. You can't do better than that.

Again this deck survives on the fact that I will drop an opponent before anything can be pulled off. I commit very little to permenants so decks like stax can't screw with me. Type 1 LD can hinder me but can't stop me as a huge chunk of my spells require only 1r to cast.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Funny that you think Fork and Wheel are too slow. My deck runs them and kills 4th turn most games.

Sonic Burst is two mana for four damage. It's only slow if you draw them in multiples, which should be rare when only using two.

Fanatic is not that good against some decks, but it's at least one damage every time and tends to be more.

Happily, Fork was unresticted. My deck would be Type I legal if I decided to cut one Wheel, which I don't plan on doing...

M

mythosx

Originally posted by Oversoul
Funny that you think Fork and Wheel are too slow. My deck runs them and kills 4th turn most games.

Sonic Burst is two mana for four damage. It's only slow if you draw them in multiples, which should be rare when only using two.

Fanatic is not that good against some decks, but it's at least one damage every time and tends to be more.

Happily, Fork was unresticted. My deck would be Type I legal if I decided to cut one Wheel, which I don't plan on doing...
Sonic burst is too slow versus sonic sizures... i can pay 1r and 2 cards for 3 or 2r and 2 cards for 4....too slow...if you ever play your wheel you wont be killing on the 4th turn. plain and simple. Fork is too situational because you need a spell to copy in the first place. Instead of copying a massive spell why dont i just play the spell i was going to copy anyways? There is nothing I can play on turn 4 that is worth forking instead of playing 2 burn spells. I bet you on the games that you kill by turn 4, you didn't play the wheel...Fork maybe But i seriously doubt it. If you draw both forks you would be hard pressed to be able to play them both and win.

I want to kill always by turn four. fork and wheel are way too situational. my kill average is about 4.1 now. that means one out of ten games i will draw too much land or too many duplicates of the lesser spells fork and wheel would only raise that number.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Okay, I can't comment on the first part of your post, because it doesn't actually make sense...

I have killed fourth turn and played Wheel in the same game. I do not know why you would be so sure that such a thing could never happen...

Fork is situational. It is also great in a number of situations. At the very worst I Fork a a burn spell like Lightning Bolt. Usually I Fork Fireblast and that is what kills fourth turn. Fork is also great against a number of close matchups.

Why so cynical about my card choices? I've been playing burn for years and my deck's performed pretty solidly.

H

Homestar

Isochron Sceptar for the lightning bolt and fork and all that other stuff would be pretty cool. i also like ruby medallion.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, yeah, except that Iso costs 2 to play and 2 to activate. I've seen it used in burn decks, but I don't like the tempo loss...

M

mythosx

Well, yeah, except that Iso costs 2 to play and 2 to activate. I've seen it used in burn decks, but I don't like the tempo loss...
exactly...

Sorry if i came off stand-offish... i dont think you can actually kill some one if you play a turn three wheel....unless you draw a bunch of bolts and two fire blasts....

R

Rooser

I know it's not peasant, but this is my straight burn deck. You definitely want Browbeats if you want this sort of thing to work. Also - Skullscorch. Also - Flame Rift. Also - Fireblast.

Lightning Bolt x4
Chain Lightning x4
Cursed Scroll x4
Incinerate x4
Skullscorch x4
Flame Rift x4
Ball Lightning x4
Browbeat x4
Blistering Firecat x4
Fireblast x4
Bloodstained Mire x4
Wooded Foothills x4
Mountain x12

Turn 4 is where this thing averages, and turn 3 isn't uncommon and the scrolls give it longevity in bad match-up and/or bad draw situations.

H

Homestar

wait, the wording on skull scorch and browbeat is weird to me (or maybe its the fact that i woke up 10 minutes ago) but anyway, so on skullscorch they discard 2 cards but if they have skullscorch they take damage? or is it the opposite? and what abot browbeat?

T

train

Browbeat allows you to draw 3 cards unless a player has it deal 5 damage to them...

so typically, they take 5, or you draw 3...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Originally posted by mythosx
exactly...

Sorry if i came off stand-offish... i dont think you can actually kill some one if you play a turn three wheel....unless you draw a bunch of bolts and two fire blasts....
Oh, it's cool. Yeah, I have killed people off a third turn Wheel, but it's not my first plan, obviously. Wheel tends to be for when I'm in a bad spot. Not every hand can have me drawing multiple Bolts and Chain Lightnings (those are the most common third turn kill hands when I also get a Fireblast). Wheel is more of a desperation move or means of refilling my hand for the fourth turn kill (when played third turn).

On Cursed Scroll: I used to have two or three in my burn deck, but I traded them and don't miss them (don't miss them in burn, I'd love them with Pox or some other slow deck). It's a great card, but it's deadweight in fast games, which is the only sort of game burn decks win...

On Firecat dude: I agree with Mythosx.

On Skullscorch: It is simply not as good as it was originally hyped up to be. I would not use Hymn to Tourach (were it red) in my burn deck, because it is not a discard deck. Skullscorch is like a worse version of Hymn, so I can't see it working. I think Mythosx will agree with me on this card.

Browbeat is different since giving a burn deck card advantage is bad for the opponent, and so is 5 damage. But I don't like the idea that the prison or combo opponent could just let me draw three cards, then stabilize and lock me down or kill me thanks to my tempo loss. It's good other than that, I suppose...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oversoul: Is this your burn deck with 4 Wheels in it? I'm getting the impression that it is... if so, it's hard to compare plays and turns when mythosx's deck only had one in it when he play-tested it (I assume he had one since he more follows the B/R list)

M

mythosx

yes i did...only one...hey anyone know how much browbeat and ball lightnings go for?

I would like side board cursed scrolls for longer games...how much do those go for?

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Spidey: My deck has only two Wheels. I don't like drawing multiple Wheels. Any game where I play multiple Wheels is almost certainly a losing game...

Mythosx: Don't know about Browbeat. It should be pretty cheap though. Ball Lightning is expensive if from The Dark. But they can be found cheaply. Back when I was even more of a scrub than I am now, half of my Ball Lightnings were from Beatdown, because they're even cheaper. Cursed Scroll is unfortunately more expensive, usually over $12 when I've seen it...

M

mythosx

Spidey: My deck has only two Wheels. I don't like drawing multiple Wheels. Any game where I play multiple Wheels is almost certainly a losing game...
Yo, I dont seem to understand how you have more than 1 wheel of fortune....vintage its restricted...extended is not allowed...so i think we have some miscommunication...Im playing vintage...

T

train

*Sarcasm forthcoming...*
i think we have some miscommunication
Miscommunication?!!!...

On a Message Board?!...

you've got to be kidding!!!

*close sarcasm*

Now that we know there is a rules format to the deck mythosx is playing, it's understandable for the card choices...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
mythosx: You've been here all this time and haven't picked up that Oversoul doesn't really follow the B/R Lists? It's what makes him "unique" around here.... :)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Not really unique...

But whatever...

Burn has about zero chance of winning a real Type I tournament, no matter how refined. So there's no way that I would play it for Type I. Hence there's no reason my deck should be Type I legal.

I still don't understand why a place called the Casual Players Alliance would place so much emphasis on the Type I restricted list. It might be more understandable if more people played competitive Type I decks. But I haven't seen very many on this board...

M

mythosx

the local tourneys for T1 seem kinda lax...I was just gonna have some fun with it....I was looking at some of the stuff that the top t1 decks are running and I think i can give em a run for their money...fish is pretty much worthless...animate dragon helps me if i mange to draw instants... im trying to ween off of sorceries in this deck but its too hard. most deck run independently of what the other is playing...and so is this deck....I just need to make sure they die before they can kill me...stax doesnt really hurt me as i can play a big portion of the deck with only one mana...