D&D: Horror on the Hill: Beginnings

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You rest and head out.

The passage that goes south looks like it goes for 30' and then ends, with doors on the west and east walls. The passage also continues east.

Attachments

T

train

(left then right...)

Si'Nat
"I guess we head down and try to East door first... So behind door #1 - what do I win?"

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
You take a turn traveling south and a turn checking out the east door; you don't hear anything or find anything unusual about/on the door.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The door fails to open on the first (and actually) several tries. When you finally get the stuck door open, you see a whole lotta hobgoblins armed to the teeth waiting for you. You aren't surprised though.

Round 1: Hobgoblins get the initiative.

Since only Si'Nat is in the doorway at this time, only one hobgoblin can engage him, and he misses.

Party's turn...

T

train

(Will cast Sleep then attempt to step in - with sword - and am I using shield?)

Si'Nat
"Nighty-night..."

T

train

(smoothness...)

Si'Nat
"Let's Get Ready to RRRRRuuuuuuummmmmmbbbbbllllleeeee!!!..."

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Rondo joins the fight where he can, being careful about not waking any sleepers until after the fight...:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Talking about tactics, right now, only Si'Nat and one hobgoblin are engaged because of the doorway. So really, only Si'Nat can do anything directly. Is that the plan?

T

train

That's the plan... Sleeping these fellows, then handling the rest... I'll move in as possible...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Just to be clear again, the order of events in Basic D&D combat is movement and then actions (which are missile, spells, and melee in that order), so from what I'm getting from the plan, you're going to forgo the movement part and just cast sleep. If any of the hobgoblins remain awake and win initiative next round, they can just move up and block the doorway again. So is that still the plan?

Normally I wouldn't go over "think-aheads" like this, but since we're playing on the forum and there's been stops and starts, I just want to make sure there's a refresher on the rules :)

T

train

yeah - I was trying to cast, then move...

Well - lemme see... I can't necessarily step in because homeboy's in the way... so that would mean that after casting sleep - I'm still blocking the door way... sooo...

How about I close the door and move back so we can set up in the corridor to pick them off as they come out?...

I'll do that...

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
This seems amazingly risky.... and I will stay in the back with my club and shield ready... and my healing spell if it's needed..... please don't be needed.......

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Kurik and Gareth form the other sides of the "box" to help trap the hobgoblins.

Round 2 - Monsters get initiative

A hobgoblin steps through and attacks Si'Nat but misses.

Si'Nat hits with his return blow, causing the hobgoblin to stagger.
Kurik also hits and almost brings him down.
Gareth misses.

Round 3 - Party gets initiative.

All three party combatants fail to connect.

The hobgoblin lands a solid blow on Si'Nat.

Round 4 - Party gets initiative.