D&D: Horror on the Hill: Beginnings

T

train

(I'll second Si'Nat and Cugel's actions... and I think Oversoul will third Si'Nat and Cugel's notion... that's like 6 total votes right?... ;-) )

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Heh, so you're going with Wilhelm's suggestion of just waiting and see what they do instead of jumping out and attacking? I was just waiting/seeing if anyone else wanted to chime in...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
To be clear, I was having Cugel wait in ambush and motion for the rest of the party to do the same. Effectively the same as Wilhelm's plan if the bugbears don't actually check the cell, and since they couldn't see or hear us and them opening the door would be rather obvious to us, we should have a pretty big advantage (especially if Si'Nat hits them with a sleep spell as soon as they open the door). Of course, if Si'Nat blows our cover by casting a spell at them now, we don't have much choice but to fight them (and lose what seems like a good ambush opportunity, since any of them that don't fall asleep will be on the alert while we come out of the hiding spot to engage them).

T

train

(Yeah - we can try the ambush route - but I sooooooooo want to just turn on the fight and take 'em down...)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, okay. I thought you were in agreement with Si'Nat's original plan to jump them but still "ambush" them. So it appears everyone is willing to wait in the cell and ambush them if they happen to try to enter.

The bugbears check the bodies but don't move towards the cell. After a turn, they leave.

The party settles down but it appears that you get a restless sleep this night; 2 hours later, near the end of the night/waking time for the party anyways, another enters the room. This time it's a lone hobgoblin, and he appears to be furtively "looting" the place, as he moves from body to body and seems to be taking weapons from them.

T

train

(I'm going to attack this one... attempting to surprise... shooting with bow...)

Si'Nat
"I'm gonna bag something this night..."

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
*Cugel will open the cell door and pursue the hobgoblin once Si'Nat has shot it if the shot isn't fatal. No need to let him alert anyone else of our location.*

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
If he's awake Rondo will also shoot at the hobgoblin if he can, and will pursue if it tries to get away...:)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone's awake; it's standard procedure for the person on watch to wake everyone when something's happening and it's near the start of a new day/waking time anyway

Si'Nat opens the cell dorr and the hobgoblin is indeed surprised to see not only an elf, but a whole crew of humans and non-goblinoids pouring out.

Round 1 - Hobgoblin is surprised.

Si'Nat is too anxious and his shot goes wide.
Rondo also misses.
Kurik shoots and manages to wound it.
Cugel and Gareth charge forward but Cugel gets to it first and finishes it off.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Cugel doesn't find anything interesting or unusual. He was probably just some poor chap looking to better himself at the expense of his (dead) neighbors :)

T

train

(So now we can continue on the the southern hallway again...)

Si'Nat

"Ok guys - enough excitement for breakfast - let's head on out to find lunch..."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It takes you about 7 turns to reach the unexplored southern hallway, including a rest in between, all which pass without incident.

You travel 80' south and the passage turns east, which you go for 30' and then rest while you ponder which way to go. There's a passage that goes for 30' N with a door 20' N in the east wall or the passage continues east for 20' where it splits to the east and south.

Attachments

T

train

(to the north and check that door first...)

Si'Nat
"This seems like the first place interesting enough to go exploring..."

(Will listen for sounds within and if none - enter by means necessary, etc.)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Si'Nat doesn't hear anything behind the door so upon opening...

This is a large room, 50' E-W by 30' N-S, and obviously a drinking and meeting hall for a degenerate band of monsters or humanoids. It's empty of creatures now, but many signs of ue are in evidence. Chairs have been carelessly pulled back from long tables and spilled tankards of wine lie on both the tables and floor. A sooty fireplace at the north end of the room holds but ashes. There's nothing of value in the room except for three shields hanging on pegs on the wall.

Attachments

T

train

(Well - do a quick search for hidden doors at end of room... and if no one else takes the shields for armor, or themselves - I will take one to tote around and later sell, etc. - or maybe use when using my sword...)

Si'Nat
"well - decide what you gents would like and we can head on to the other passageway"

T

train

(yes)... we are at one side - so I figured the other to be the end... but I guess on the way there - will check the south as well...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, just want to be clear :)

Si'Nat spends a turn checking the south wall and then a turn checking the east wall but doesn't find anything, and it's time to rest.

T

train

(K - we can rest in here... then head to next passage... I'll open door with or without noise behind it - but attempt to surprise if noise behind it... ready with sleep and bow...)