Casualties of War

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tag Guard

MJ: Sorry, you need to calm down here. Your last post did not leave a favorable impression about you... also, suddenly declaring that as the "winner" of the tag game you get to keep the card is WRONG! You can't do that in the middle of game, and especially when other people are contributing who aren't or weren't in the game.

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD

ok, i must remember that sarcaism does not work too well in writing....

CT: I wasn't refusing the change rather saying IF I win, could I keep the card as is? I think my winning the game would be proof of my(and the card's power). What do you think? If you want I may be willing to lower P/T.

Spider man: WTF is wrong w/ you B'OTCH? I will kill(tag) you!!!!! You're really asking for it now. I was trying to kill multani, but now your going to get it. (Sarcaism if you couldn't tell :) ) I didn't say that i was the winner, but that i was in the lead. Got That?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Tag Guard

You're right, sarcasm doesn't come across well when writing, that's why you have use smilies unless it's really obvious which in your case I don't think was. If it seems that you're not willing to change your card, how can your message be sarcasm (the first part)?

As for offering to change it IF you win the tag game, I'll repeat that I think that kind of condition is HIGHLY unfair to those who are playing and didn't agree that the winner (whoever it may be) gets such a "reward", unfair to those who are dead but might have tried harder if they knew there was such a reward, and unfair to those who didn't play but might have if such a reward was known. Perhaps I'm being presumptuous in speaking for everyone, but I know that's how I feel for the first and would for the second two. This whole exercise is for fun for the CPA and those who are actually coding the cards up; putting conditions such as "if this happens THEN I'll consider changing it" kind of ruins it.

I don't want this to turn into a flame war either; I'm trying to say

a) just consider tweaking your card
b) please drop "conditions" to changes, at least in regards to the tag game

C

Chaos Turtle

Rancor and Captain Caveman...
Thanks for the excellent comments!

Some responses.

Diabolic Dilemma, at 1B, would cost the same as Spectre's Wail, but gives the opponent a choice of effect. I will go along with the majority though, but consider this first... how about removing the top 4 cards instead of 6, and leaving it at B? The idea was to give a player who has something in hand that they can't risk losing to have an alternative; I see that 6 may have been too much.

Frizan Taunt may have "...and draw a card" (the countered spell's caster) added to it; still looking for more suggestions.

Ball of Flame may have toughness set instead of variable; right now I'm leaning toward 2. It takes a good bit of mana to make this guy really scary, so 2 shouldn't be too high.

Delay cards will have 1 more counter added to them; and the charms will increase by 1 in cost.

Diabolic Compromise... I like your version, Captain Caveman. Anyone else care to comment?

Æther Drift's ability should have a cost of "1, pitch a critter." Is that enough to make it a little more fair? 2 and pitch would make it a little worse than that anyone-draws artifact from Weatherlight (or was it Tempest?).

I'm willing to make Discrimination an instant. Any other comments on this one?

Temporal Servant may become a 2/2 for 3U, with "UU, bounce me" as its cost. This will make it the same, mana-wise, as Whispers-w/bb, but still can only be played when creatures can be played.

Winds of Stupidity may be changed to uncommon, depending upon the set's needs as far as available rares/uncommons goes. I'm also considering a name change.

Bhodivan Granger should have "play this ability only once per turn" added to it. It wasn't my original intent, but I can see now that it could be a little too fast.

Buffer probably should only protect green spells.

Luckily, Gaea has been around a lot longer than WotC. :)

Signs of Life will probably have a cost added to it, both mana cost and cost to take the creature in hand.

Solitary Djinn will cost 2GG, to discourage its use in R/G burn variants. ;)

The Green Man's ability won't affect using the forsets abilities.

Gotta run! More later.

C

Chaos Turtle

Continuing...

Actually, Durdan Taunt is pretty good before you have creatures out and later if your creatures are big or Blastoderms. ;)

Goblin Nimrod and Psychotic Dwarf. Hmmm. I think that both of these have fairly good drawbacks. The Dwarf is more fair, though. I am consdidering raising the Nimrod to 1R, but if I did I would want to make him a 2/2 (much like the old Ironclaws. I will leave them for now, and see what the testing reveals.

Alabaster Cavalry is fine, I think. You are correct when you note that the ability's being activated balances the somewhat lower cost.

I'll consider making the Execution an instant, pending testing. You'll only take damage twice by the way, if you wait more than a turn to use this, or if the creture in question has haste.

I have no idea what to use Caspar's Still for, either. :p

Cursed Jewels... shhhhh!! Yes, I'm afraid you're right about the Mox name, but I'm also afraid of Dune Echo! :eek:

That's all for now! One more final to go (Historical Geology, god help me). Then it's the summer of deleted and Magic!

C

Chaos Turtle

Hey all... I'm just bringing this back to the top and want to mention that I'll be leaving out the namesake legendary cards for those members who are no longer with us.

If you are still around, but never post, and still want your (already-made) legend in the set, just let me know so I don't get rid of it.

This will make some extra room for those members who were new at the time this thing got started, whom I told that there wasn't going to be space for their cards. Now there is space. :)

C

Cateran Overlord

Oh well. Does anyone have any Mercenaries in this set? If not, I can be possibly something like Malfurgan Overlord who searches out Vampires or Horrors. Curse you WotC for making me already!

A

Apollo

Allo, haven't posted here in quite some time, but here's my take on some of the cards that are being discussed in here.

Diabolic Dilemma
-4 cards would work well. It needs to stay at B. If it only takes 4 cards, the only way it could cripple you is if your deck is dependent on one particular card (combo decks).

Diabolic Compromise

"Pay 1 life, put a draw counter on ~this~: Draw a card. At
no time can there be more than 7 draw counters on ~this~
At the end of each turn remove all counters from ~this~
He craves only one commodity, but he'll take what he can get."
-this would not work. You put it into play, draw seven on your turn, draw seven on your opponent's turn, draw seven on your turn again. That's 21 cards you've drawn (assuming you have the life). It's just as good as Bargain this way, except you have to wait a turn to go off. Of course, it costs less so it'll come out one turn earlier too.

Æther Drift
Rare
Enchantment
2UU
Discard a creature card: Draw a card. Any player may play this ability.

It would be like Fluctuator. Play U/B with almost all creatures. Play this and cycle straight through your deck, then play a Haunting Misery to win. Doable turn 3-4 with Rituals and other fast mana. Especially since it's really a one card combo. Once you get the Drift out, you can find the Misery easily.

Faulty Recollection
-no, teammates are not opponents

Frizan Taunt
-add "and draw a card" as others have suggested

Bhodivan Granger
-yeah, you can have 4 mana second turn, but if you didn't use the Granger in that scenario, you would have 3 mana. You're really only gaining one mana. Hardly a Dark Ritual. I think it's fine.

Signs of Life
-maybe you should lose the "and gain one life," or increase the mana cost. It's almost like drawing 2 cards a turn in any weenie deck.

Solitary Djinn
-Ernahm and Burn'em used Elves to get the Djinn out quickly. If you use Elves in this deck, it's not going to be very big by the time it hits play.

The Green Man
-you can tap your lands for mana, it's not a targeted ability

Ball of Flame
-This card, contrary to popular belief, is fine. If you pay 6 mana, twice the cost of Ball Lightning, you only deal a max of 4 damage, whereas the Ball did 6. Granted, if there's a big stall and you get to the endgame with 20+ mana, the game's over. Then again, if you have a Fireball, Torch, Disintegrate, Blaze, etc. it's over too.

Controversial Execution
-this should be an instant, and it should be common. Compare to Vendetta, which destroys anything.

Apollo

I

Istanbul

Aether Drift is...um...no.

Combine it with Haunting Misery or Living Death for a Fluctuator kill where your selection of creatures is limitless. It'll make Rec/Sur look like nothing.

A

Apollo

Come to think of it, why would anyone play Ball of Flame when you can just play a Fireball, Blaze, etc. The Blaze can't be blocked, can deal it's damage to creatures, and even costs less! Even if Ball of Flame cost one less mana it wouldn't be good!

Apollo

C

Chaos Turtle

What if it was X/3 and didn't die at end of combat?

How about if it is 0/0 and comes into play with X +1/+1 counters, and remove one counter at end of turn? Or same, but 0/3 with X +1/+0 counters?

A

Apollo

I like the X/3, lives through combat version, though they all sound good. The ones with +1/+1 counters or +1/+0 counters must be compared to Rock Hydra, and so I think that of those two, the +1/+1 version is best. All in all, though, go with X/3.

I worded that all wrong, didn't I?

M

manchot_13

Manchot the Thirteenth: Twisted Time Mage
UUUU
Summon Time Mage Legend

Cannot be target of spells or abilities
Cannot attack or block
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to ~this~

2: Shuffle all cards in all hands, all graveyards, and in play except this one back into thier owners libraries. Start a new game of magic, but leave ~this in play
Remove the top 10 cards of your library from the game.
0/1
"I'll get it right eventually"

F

Fire Slinger

Question. What do I need to do to get my cards in the set? Do I need to balance them and then post them here?

C

Chaos Turtle

You can balance them yourself or let the other members take a crack at it.
In either case, they should be posted under "New Card Ideas."

I

Istanbul

In fact, I offer my services to any and all as a card balancer. You offer me the first version, and what you want it to do, and I'll make it balanced for you. Done so in the past.

C

Chaos Turtle

Okay!
Here's what we have so far, by the numbers.
Code:
Cards by rarity and type
          R   U   C    Tot
        --- --- ---    --- 
Black:    7  13  10     30
Blue:    11  17  10     38
Green:   11  16  16     43
Red:     12  13  10     35
White:   12  18  11     41
Multi:    4   2   0      6
Artif:   12  10   1     23
NBLand:  15   0   0     15
------- --- --- ---    ---
Totals:  84  89  58    231
Obviously, the previous calculations won't do. :p

This data does not account for the 5 rare "Orchard" cards, which are being removed to make room for a version of Spiderman's 5-color land (an uncommon) and maybe others.

It also does not account for a couple of legend cards that are being removed to make room for others, or because they are not based upon CPA members (there are a lot of legends in this set!).

One thing is clear. We are in dire need of lots of commons in every color, except green (still need a few, though). In particular... creature cards, and maybe some local enchantment cards, would be nice.

Also not yet entered are the five "Pie" cards (see "New Card Ideas") which still need to be selected. That particular thread will soon be abandoned (for use by anyone who wants to, as if it hasn't been already :p) in favor of a thread specifically for the CPA set(s).

I'll post a tentative list (again) as soon as I convert it into something readable (unless you really want to slog through the datafile version). The datafile itself needs to be scoured for errors as well (to ensure it won't crash your Apprentice).

Backstory.
I've mentioned having a sketchy backstory worked up. I haven't done much work on this aside from thinking about it and what currently appears on the flavor texts. I need help with flavor texts, and would prefer to get that help from someone also willing to help out with backstory.

Anyone who has any information on converting files for use in NetDraft, kindly share. :)

I'll include a new proposed rarity scheme, based upon what we have so far as well.

I think that's all for now.

Later!
(remember: card comments in "New Card Ideas" and other comments here--thanks!)

Some relevant info snipped (and edited) from an earlier post.
Code:
Proposed Rarity Scheme (255 card set)
          R   U   C    Tot
        --- --- ---    --- 
Black:   12  14  17     43
Blue:    12  14  17     43
Green:   12  14  17     43
Red:     12  14  17     43
White:   12  14  17     43
Multi:    7   5   0     12
Artif:    8   5   0     13
NBLand:  10   5   0     15
Totals:  85  85  85    255
Code:
Proposed Rarity Scheme (300 card set)
          R   U   C    Tot
        --- --- ---    --- 
Black:   13  16  20     49
Blue:    13  16  20     49
Green:   13  16  20     49
Red:     13  16  20     49
White:   13  16  20     49
Multi:   12   6   0     18
Artif:   13   9   0     22
NBLand:  10   5   0     15
Totals: 100 100 100    300
Real standalones are 330 cards (not including basic lands).

Any suggestions are welcome. Big set (330+land); medium set (300+land); small set (255+land)... as long as the total is divisible by 3 I can work up the math and get an even rarity distribution.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, CT, I want to make sure credit is given to where it's due; I don't think I was the one who suggested an uncommon 5 color land. At least I'm pretty sure; I skimmed all throughout this thread.