Casualties of War

I

Istanbul

Suicidal Skirge is a little overcosted, yes. Perhaps it should come with Fear attached.

Martyr's Call...the whole point was to make it useable. A large part of the cost involves the activation...you pay 2W AND sac a creature to cast Diabolic Edict. I've never seen an enchantment cost 5 mana and get used. The only way I could think of to make it a little less powerful without neutering it would be to make it cost 2WW to activate.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
But, while the quote is cool, I actually had in mind more of a dude who would put the zombies back into the grave, not just to watch a certain dead guy.

How about: "Don't worry. The TomB guardian's here and he'll remind 'em they're dead."--anonymous gravedigger

[Edited by TomB on May 5th, 2000 at 04:56 AM]

C

Chaos Turtle

TomB, that's even more fun than what I had in mind. :)
Thanks!

Z

Zadok001

You'll note my final comment on Martyr's Call. It was a little vauge, basically what I meant was:

"Oh. It's supposed to do that. I'm dumb. Ignore me..." :)

I

Istanbul

Martyr's Call isn't broken in any way I can think of. White doesn't have any auto-return creatures (except Ivory Gargoyle), it's rather costly to use, and note that your opponent CHOOSES a creature to sacrifice.

This card was actually made to give headaches to Control Blue, which would often win with a single Morphling; Martyr's Call would force them to sacrifice it if that's what they were doing. And since it targets the player and not the Morphling, there's little they could do about it.

BTW, I've received almost no comments on some of my other cards. Here they are again:

Tremble W
Instant
Target creature cannot attack, block, or use any activated abilities until end of turn.
Draw a card.
"He who hesitates is lost."

Firebomb 2R
Sorcery
At the time you play Firebomb, sacrifice a mountain.
Firebomb does 5 damage to target creature or player.
"The flame that burns twice as hot burns half as long."

Unending Discovery 3G
Enchantment
During your upkeep, you may search your library for a basic land and put it into play. If you do so, your opponent may search their library for a basic land and put it into play. Anyone that puts a land into play in this way then shuffles their libraries.
"It seems like this wilderness is neverending, but so are my master's needs for power."
- Dhavin, Veteran Explorer

Suicidal Skirge 2BB
Creature - Skirge
Flying
Suicidal Skirge cannot be blocked except by black and artifact creatures.
B: +1/+0 until end of turn. If this ability is activated, remove Suicidal Skirge from the game at end of turn.
2/1
"One cannot match the ferocity of a foe who is not afraid to die." - Oracle En-Vec

C

Chaos Turtle

Don't know about the comments, Istanbul, but Tremble, Firebomb and Unending Discovery have all been added to the list already. :)
The skirge will be added soon with the fear ability but probably a new name.

Please explain to me the purpose of the 'becomes colorless' ability on Martyr's Call. That's the only hangup I have on it; otherwise a cool card. The only thing I can think of is to prevent it being destroyed by Anarchy (destroy all white permanents)...protection would not affect this card's ability, as written.

Thanks!

I

Istanbul

Actually, that's one reason it can become colorless. The other is that it's semi-respectable with Opalescence in play, and color-based damage prevention won't stop it if that's the case.

A

Apollo

OK, I just skimmed this for problems, but there are a few cards I wanted to mention:

Obsidian Charm-too similar to Funeral Charm; same discard ability, +1/+1 instead of +1/-1

Mind Eater-undercosted; suicide would love it; there are no key cards for them, and this will kill your opponent long before you run out of cards.

Yawgmoth's Compromise-I love this; it seems like someone finally found a balanced Necro, and surprise (sarcasm) it wasn't R&D

Azure Charm-Force Spike was good; this does the same thing and more, for the same cost

Durdan Curse-You said this set was meant for type II. Well, this would make Ponza too good. On the 2nd turn, untapping one land won't matter. If you go first, you can kill a land before blue can counter, and you have the game locked up right there: stone rain/pillage 3rd turn, lightning dragon fourth. They'll never have the mana to treachery it in time. Land dest. shouldn't cost less than 3

Alabaster Charm-I think one of the original charms had the same name. I could be wrong, though.

Voice of Logic-Shouldn't be a rare; uncommon, like the other voices

Static Bubble-play with a creatureless deck and drop this; you never have to worry about attackers. Too good a control card.

Other than a few problems, you've done an incredible job with this set, Turtle. I never would have had the patience or the dedication to put it all together. I think WotC should hire you and everyone else who participated on this to replace R&D.

Apollo

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD

4BBRR
The Magic Jackal
Legend-Master Assassin

First Strike, can't be the target of spells or abbilities
T: Remove target creature from the game and search it's control hand, graveyard, and library for any copies of that card and remove them from the game. You lose 3 life.
5/3

My assistance comes at a price.

[Edited by The Magic Jackal on May 7th, 2000 at 12:15 PM]

C

Chaos Turtle

Apollo, thank you very, very much for your suggestions. I will take them all under consideration and report back tonight or tomorrow night.

Jackal...what do you think of lowering your mana cost to 2RRBB and making "RB,Tap" your ability's cost. This will both make you card (a little) more likely to get played as well as balance out the amazing ability. Making the ability "2,Tap" and only have the lobomy effect if the creature is a legend seems even better. Thoughts?

Thanks!

M

Multani

Tag Guard

My ideas seem to have been largely ignored. :(
Ok so Urza can't be made into a card
but I've tried to balance my other ideas.

Chaos- You still haven't told me whether my cards made it or not.

"To make peace with the forest, make peace with me."
-Multani to Urza

C

Chaos Turtle

The better-than-bolt bolt has, with a cost of RR, but still deciding on a name. Make a suggestion.

C

Chaos Turtle

Charms... I will probably raise Charm costs by 1. Replacing a charm's ability is contingent on someone suggesting a replacement,

Mind Eater... I agree, how about BB for the mana cost?

Durdan Curse... is this still viable at 2R as an instant? RR sorcery is a possibilty but does not fix the problem you brought up. I'd hate to have to drop this card.

Voice of Logic... silly me, of course it should be uncommon

Static Bubble... I wouldn't say "never," but how about raising the cost to 4 and removing the CIP ability?

While I'm at it...

Frizan Taunt... (Instant-U-Counter target spell. That spell's controller untaps a number of lands equal to it's converted mana cost.) Should this also allow the victim to draw a card? I don't think so, but I may be wrong.

Ball of Flame (Creature-XRR-p/t=X/X-haste,trample,dies at end of combat) Should this cost more? If so, how much more?

A note:

Please post new cards for this set (as opposed to just general ideas for kicks) in the "New Card Ideas" thread in this forum (General).
Please post comments on existingcards from the preliminary spoiler here, in this thread.
This will make it much easier to keep track of card submissions and set comments/suggestions.

Please do not continually ask if I have entered a card you submitted after the spoiler article posted. You will know when the beta (test) version is released. Cards submitted before the article (particulary your namesake cards) if they were omitted should be brought to my attention. All "veterans" who have been here since before Feb 2000 who want a card named for them should have one (members joining later can have their namesake cards included in the first expansion, assuming there is one).

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions so far.

F

FoundationOfRancor

Heres what I think of some cards in cuasualties of war. I like the MM block, so I may be off on alot of these cards. Anyway, here they are.

Diabolic Dilemma
Uncommon
Sorcery
B
Target player may discard a card at random. If he or she does not, remove the top 6 cards of that player's library from the game.

-I think this is too strong and too splahsable. Either option is really good and it is cheap.

Obsidian Charm
Common
Instant
B
Choose one - Target creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn; or destroy target creature that was damaged this turn; or target player chooses and discards a card.

-Again, undercosted. Maybe BB or even BB1

Yawgmoth's Compromise
Rare
Enchantment
2BBB
Skip your draw step.
Pay 1 life: Draw a card. If you have 7 or more cards in your hand, counter this ability.
He craves only one commodity, but he'll take what he can get.

- I love it! A balanced bargain, amazing.

Azure Charm
Common
Instant
U
Choose one - Counter target spell unless its controller pays 1; or return target permanent you control to its owner's hand; or draw a card.

-Force spike does 1 of the options and costs the same.

Frizan Taunt
Common
Instant
U
Counter target spell. That spell's controller untaps a number of lands equal to it's converted mana cost.
- I feel a "and draw a card should be added here"

Savannah Chant
Common
Instant
G
As an additional cost to play Savannah chant, sacrifice a Plains or pay 2. Add GGG to your mana pool.

-The best card in the entire set I feel. Incredibly balanced and interesting.

Ball of Flame
Rare
Creature - Elemental
XRR
X/X
Haste, trample
At end of combat, sacrifice Ball of Flame.
-The potential to be unbeleavable broken. I suggest RRRX

Static Bubble
Rare
Artifact
When Static Bubble comes into play, tap all creatures; they don't untap during their controller's untap phase as long as Static Bubble is untapped.
3, T, Tap three untapped creatures you control: Return Static Bubble to its owner's hand.

-powerful in a creature less deck. add "play only if you have 2 cretes in play" ?

I also think the delay cards are a bit too strong. Take the stone rain 1 for example. You can destroy a land turn 2 for the same cost of a great card as stone rain. This beats out the original staple and the casting cost should be brought to 2 or give it another delay counter.

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD

Actually, i think my card is pretty balanced, and it does do what i do: Kill people and make sure that they never come back. I am efficient at what i do. Assassins don't really pay money themselves to kill people, so having an activation cost wouldn't make much sense, rather the controller loses life. The magic jackal will challange any creature to combat and become vitorious. :p

C

Chaos Turtle

Okay, how about leaving it as-is, but making the lobotomy effect only apply to legends? It's very very strong otherwise. Paying 3 life and tapping to RFG a creature is amazing.
I'm stil willing to cut the mana cost a little to compensate for your "loss." ;)

T

The Magic Jackal

TAG GUARD

you cannot change the magic jackal!!!!

Restraing from using eradicate of chaos turtle....

Ok, here's the deal. I'm currently in the lead w/ the most kills on the tag game. If i win the tag game, you print the card as is. IF i don't we can change it. DEAL?

hmmmm, this could be an interesting prize for the winner. Sorta like the invitational prize....

C

Chaos Turtle

Of all the members who have offered namesake cards, only one so far has refused to compromise for balance/playability.

Guess who?

I have another solution... :(

C

Captain Caveman

Here are my thoughts on some of the cards in Casualties of
War. Overall I think you've done a really good job of
giving us a fun and balance set. I'm not very good at
reviewing card ideas but I thought I'd give it a try.

BLACK

Diabolic Dilemma
Uncommon
Sorcery
B
Target player may discard a card at random. If he or she does not, remove the top 6 cards of that player's library from the game.

*Looks pretty strong for only B.

Spirit of the Grave
Rare
Creature - Spirit
2BB
0/2
Flying.
Whenever Spirit of the Grave deals combat damage, Spirit deals that much damage to each creature and player.
1B: +1/+1 until end of turn.

*I like all of the rest of the Spirits but how do you feel
changing this guys ability to read: Whenever ~this~ deals
combat damage to a player you may remove a card in that
player graveyard from the game. Its just an idea.

Yawgmoth's Compromise
Rare
Enchantment
2BBB
Skip your draw step.
Pay 1 life: Draw a card. If you have 7 or more cards in your hand, counter this ability.

*Its been pointed out that with some way to discard it
would be easy to get around the seven card limit. I think
the card is good but its so dangerous to let someone draw
unlimited cards. With that being said, I'd like to suggest
this:
(Edited version)
Diabolic Compromise
Rare
Enchantment
2BBB
Skip your draw step.
Pay 1 life, put a draw counter on ~this~: Draw a card. At
no time can there be more than 7 draw counters on ~this~
At the end of each turn remove all counters from ~this~
Is it broken or unplayable?

BLUE
Æther Drift
Rare
Enchantment
2UU
Discard a creature card: Draw a card. Any player may play this ability.

*Isn't this broken? Intuition for Squee and draw four cards
each turn. It might also be scary in Living Death or Recur
deck. It gives all creatures free Cycling. Maybe it should
have some type of cost.

Discrimination
Rare
Sorcery
3U
Choose a creature type. Return all creatures of that type to their owners' hands.

*Fun card. I wish it was an instant though.

Faulty Recollection
Uncommon
Instant
U
Target opponent searches your library for 3 cards. Put those cards into your hand.

*Should be a lot of fun. 3 for U, that has to be good.
Question: Is the other player in team magic considered
an opponent? If so, I looking for an opponent/team-mate.

Frizan Taunt
Common
Instant
U
Counter target spell. That spell's controller untaps a number of lands equal to it's converted mana cost.

*This seems like a good counterspell. Might be under cost
though. On second thought, its too cheap. All other blue
one cc spell counter something specific or make an opponent
pay more. (With the exception of FoW and it cost one life
and a discard.)

Temporal Servant
Uncommon
Creature - Illusion
2U
1/2
1U,return Temporal Servant to its owner's hand: Draw a card.

*Late in the game this guy might be to powerful. Whispers
cost 6 mana and it can't block.

Winds of Stupidity
Rare
Instant
2UUU
Counter all spells.

*Does that include this one. All kidding aside, should this
be a rare?

GREEN

Bhodivan Granger
Uncommon
Creature - Elf
GG
1/3
Put a -0/-1 counter on Bhodivan Granger: Add one green mana to your mana pool.

*A green dark ritual. Thats a potential 4 mana turn two.
turn one: land, elf
turn two: granger/put three counters on it, play a land.
I'm not saying its broken but its better than anything else
I can think of. (It might need to cost more.)

Bhodivan Hunter
Uncommon
Creature - Elf
1GG
2/2
You may play Bhodivan Hunter anytime you could play an instant. If you do, when Bhodivan Hunter comes into play, counter target blue or black spell. If this ability is countered, sacrifice Bhodivan Hunter. #(If there are no blue or black spells on the stack, this ability is countered.)#
*What a great idea. What?,Perish/Hibernation .......not
right now, ask me again later.

Buffer
Common
Sorcery
2G
Buffer can't be countered.
Spells you play this turn can't be countered.

*Nice idea, but does it give a combo deck an unstoppable
way to push threw? Maybe it should say: "Green spells you
play this turn can not be countered."

Camouflaged Knight
Uncommon
Creature - Knight
1GG
2/2
Protection from blue.
Camouflaged Knight can't be countered.

*That's a great name.:)"the Green Knight" has come, and I
for one, welcome him.

Gaea's Chosen
Common
Creature - Elf
G
0/1
Haste.
Tap: Add one green mana to your mana pool.

*I really like this card. Its something that green should
have. Is the name Gaea trademarked by WoTc?

Impressment
Rare
Enchantment
2GG
Whenever an opponent plays a creature, search his or library for another copy of that card and put it into play under your control.
For every new ally, it seemed, Caspar gained a new enemy as well.

*This card is pretty awesome.(IMO)This might be the perfect
Green creature removal spell/card. I'd love to see this
make print at WoTc. Ok, I realize it's very opponent
dependent but think about it in a multi-player game!!!!!!

Signs of Life
Rare
Enchantment
G
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player reveals the top card of his or her library. If that card is a creature card, he or she may put it into his or her hand and gain 1 life.

*This might be really powerful in a heavy creature deck.
(a.k.a Stompy)Its got huge card advantage and life gain
potential.

Snagging Vines
Uncommon
Creature - Wall
1G
0/2
Whenever Snagging Vines blocks a creature, you may draw a card.

*Awesome if you've got regeneration. Where's my Yavimaya
Hollows? This idea might make for an interesting green
creature enchantment.

Solitary Djinn
Uncommon
Creature - Djinn
3G
4/5
As long as you control any other creatures, Solitary Djinn gets -1/-1.

*Might be to strong in a R/G burn deck. Shades of Erhnam/
Burn'em!

The Green Man
Rare
Creature - Treefolk Legend
4GG
4/4
The Green Man cannot be the target of spells or abilities. Forests cannot be the targets of spells or abilities. If a forest is put into a graveyard, return that forest to play under its owner's control.

*I have a silly question. Can you tap your lands for mana?

RED
Ball of Flame
Rare
Creature - Elemental
XRR
X/X
Haste, trample
At end of combat, sacrifice Ball of Flame.
*It does seem a little to powerful. Maybe if the text was
X/1 and the cc was XRR it wouldn't be quite a strong. X
toughness makes it very hard to kill.

Durdan Taunt
Common
Instant
R
Deal 3 damage to target creature. That creature's controller may deal damage equal to that creature's power to another target creature.

*Interesting card. Remove that troublesome creature at
a price. Doubt if it gets played much though.

Goblin Nimrod
Uncommon
Creature - Goblin
R
2/1
Creatures blocking or blocked by Goblin Nimrod gain first strike until end of turn.

*I don't know about this guy. Jackal pup had a fairly large
drawback but was still very powerful. With red packing a
bunch of burn you may not have a blocker.

Orogeny
Rare
Sorcery
3R
Search your library for a Mountain card and put it into play under target player's control. If you do, destroy target land that player controls.

*I think I understand what this is used for but should it
be a rare?

Psychotic Dwarf
Common
Creature - Dwarf
R
2/1
Haste.
As Psychotic Dwarf comes into play, you may sacrifice a Mountain. If you don't, put Psychotic Dwarf into your graveyard instead of into play.

*Refer to Nimrod. This guy is better though.

Riotous Melee
Rare
Sorcery
2RR
Target an opponent. Tap all creatures controlled by you and that opponent. Riotous Melee deals damage equal to your creatures' total power, divided any way you choose, to any number of opponent's creatures. Riotous Melee deals damage equal to opponent's creatures' total power, divided however the opponent chooses, to any number of your creatures.

*Fun and interesting card. If you made the cc 3R do you
think it would be to powerful? It would be so much fun to
splash this card into a green or white deck.

WHITE
Alabaster Cavalry
Uncommon
Creature - Knight
WW
2/1
W: First Strike until end of turn.W: Protection from Red or Black until end of turn.

*Is this guy fair? If I'm not mistaken ,the rest of the
Knight's cost 3 mana. Its an activated ability so that
might make up for the cheaper cc.

Controversial Execution
Uncommon
Sorcery
W
Remove target black or red creature from the game. You lose life equal to that creature's power.

*Would it be to powerful as an instant? Being a sorcery
your going to more or less take the damage twice. Its also
color specific so its not as good as swords.

ARTIFACT
Caspar's Still
Uncommon
Artifact
Whenever a player plays a card, tap all creatures, artifacts, and lands that player controls.
How they had gotten into his corn sqeezin's, Caspar never knew, but now all his Dwarven workers were, in no uncertain terms, dead drunk. "So," he thought, "why not join them?"

*Awesome name. The flavor text is really good too. I'm not
sure how I'd play this card but it looks interesting.

Cursed Mox Emerald
Cursed Mox Jet
Cursed Mox Pearl
Cursed Mox Ruby
Cursed Mox Sapphire

*Will the names of these cards have to be changed because
of WoTc copy right stuff? If so, what about Cursed Jet,
Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby, Pearl Ring? Silly name but I
can't think of anything else.

Erratic Clock
Rare
Artifact
At end of each player's turn, that player flips a coin. If he or she wins the flip, he or she takes another turn after this one.
*Probably the most balanced and fair take another turn mech anyone can come up with.

[Edited by Captain Caveman on May 11th, 2000 at 03:26 AM]