Casualties of War

C

Chaos Turtle

TAG GUARD
(jeez)

Alright, this is the place to post your opinions and suggestions for the CPA cardset (see article, "Casualties of War (a CPA spoiler)" when it is posted on the main page.)

All opinions are welcome and will be considered.
This includes suggestions for wording, mana cost, power/toughness, abilities and effects, and pretty much anything you think is relevant.

Thanks all.

I

Istanbul

Martyr's Call 2WW
Enchantment
2W, Sacrifice a creature: Target opponent chooses and sacrifices a creature.
1: Martyr's Call is colorless until end of turn.

Unimpeded Growth 1G
Instant
Target creature gets +2/+2.
For every Unimpeded Growth card in your graveyard, that creature gets an additional +2/+2.

Watchfulness 1W
Instant
Target creature gets protection from a color of your choice until end of turn.
For every Watchfulness card in all graveyards, another target creature may
gain protection from a color of your choice until end of turn.

Dark Tidings 1B
Add BB to your mana pool.
For every Dark Tidings card in all graveyards, add another B to your mana pool.

Tremble W
Instant
Target creature cannot attack, block, or use any activated abilities until end of turn.
Draw a card.

Firebomb 2R
Sorcery
At the time you play Firebomb, sacrifice a mountain.
Firebomb does 5 damage to target creature or player.

Unending Discovery 3G
Enchantment
During your upkeep, you may search through your library for a basic land and put it
into play. If you do so, your opponent may search through his or her library for a
basic land card and put it into play. Anyone who chooses to put a land card into
play in this way then shuffles their library.

Suicidal Skirge 2BB
Creature - Skirge
Flying
B: +1/+0. If this ability is activated, remove Suicidal Skirge from the game at end of turn.
2/1

C

Chaos Turtle

There is a special thread just for the card ideas. No need to repost anything you posted earlier either, by the way.

Good ideas, though; some of them are allready in the list and others will likely make it in this very evening.

Thanks.

(if you tag me yer taggin a dead guy...pervert)

Killer Joe

Wait, I didn't pay attention to the submission details. If it's not too late here's mine.(I just posted this on another thread):

Paradise Lost
Land
Fading 3
Tap: Add one fade counter to ~this~.
Tap: Add one colorless mana to your mana pool.
Pay 1 life, Tap: Add one color of any mana to your mana pool.
Instead of ~this~ going to the graveyard, remove it from the game.
"I know it'll be gone soon, but I'll hold on to it as long as I can."
-Eladamri, Lord of Leaves

In the other thread I called it "Yellowjacket Land" and it was a little broken, so I balanced it out somewhat.

C

Chaos Turtle

Well, the land slots are all filled, but if there are 5 good lands (including this one) I'll put them in and take out the Orchards (until the follow-up set) or else save this one for the next. Whichever, makes no difference to me. :)

Is there a non-fading variation you'd like to suggest? I was hoping to stay away from current "block" abilities just in case WotC gets all freaky about this thing and because we don't know what might happen in a future set with those abilities (though by the time we get this finished, I guess we will). :p

Anyone got land ideas? A couple of 5-color lands would be cool.

By the way, Jackal says the tag guard can't be in the topic header either, so I think I just saved your arse. ;)

don't get all happy that I 'forgot' mine y'all, Spiderman already offed me

M

Mordecai

DWARVESES ARE BACK!!! THANK YOU!!!

I really like the set. It's got a lot of cards with interesting and unique abilities. I really like Treeline Grizzly and Spiteful Sprite.

This is also a really good idea. Best of luck finishing it up.

Mordecai the Destroyer

A

Almindhra

I came up with these cards for my own personal Almindhra theme...And it took me awhile, and some are weird...

Valley of Dreams - Legendary Land
Comes into play tapped
Tap: produce a colorless
XUU Tap: Look through the top X cards of your library and put them back in any order
Somehow she knew what would happen before anyone did.

Hidden Barrier 1UU
- Enchantment
If at any time your opponent controls 2 or more lands than you, becomes an enchant land targetting one of your lands and gains the abilty
UUU Tap: Counter target spell

Almindhra, Illusion Weaver UUU
-Legendary Illusionist
U Tap: Sacrifice a land to counter target spell
2/2
"When night falls and you lie to rest is the time when I awake and silently destroy your thoughts." - Almindhra, Dream Terror

I also made this land, but I was criticized greatly for it, tell me what you think

Mirage Isle
-Legendary Land
Tap: Produce 1 colorless
2U tap: Sacrifice to remove target players lands from the game until end of turn
"Try to stop me, you own nothing" - Almindhra, Dream Terror

If you'd like me to make any changes I'm up for it...

F

FoundationOfRancor

You might want to revise mirage isle to say
2U: remove ALL lands from the game untill end of turn or end of next turn.

Heres 1 of mine:
Rancor Paradise
land
T,sacrifice an untapped permanant you control: add 2 mana of any 1 color to your mana pool.

What you all think of that sucka?

C

Chaos Turtle

Sorry, don't mean to shout, but please post cards ideas under the "Card Ideas" thread to make it easy to keep track of them. :)

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Please post suggestions regarding the set in general, rather than specific card ideas, in this thread. Which cards might difinitely be under-/overpowered (see the article on the main page) and which might you think are just too stupid/weird to be useable.

If it's not too much trouble, could y'all repost the card ideas in that thread? If it's not too too much trouble, delete your posts here after doing so.
I'd consider it a favor; keeping up with ideas in different threads is killing me. :p

Thanks!

F

FoundationOfRancor

What are the mechanics you have so far? Or themes?

Killer Joe

Paradise Lost
Land (Rare)
When ~this~ comes into play, put three land counters on it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, remove one land counter from ~this~, if you cannot, then remove ~this~ from the game.
Pay 1 life, remove one land counter: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.
"Know the pain, Volrath, that you have caused us."
-Lyna, Soltari Emissary

Yeah, that's right, it doesn't tap to produce mana nor does it produce colorless mana, you know, for balance.

C

Chaos Turtle

Code:
Proposed Rarity Scheme (255 card set)
          R   U   C    Tot
        --- --- ---    --- 
Black:   12  15  17     41
Blue:    12  15  17     41
Green:   12  15  17     41
Red:     12  15  17     41
White:   12  15  17     41
Multi:    7   5   0     15
Artif:    8   5   0     20
NBLand:  10   5   0     15
------- --- --- ---    ---
Totals:  85  85  85    255
So, is 255 going to be big enough for a standalone?
Real standalones are 330 cards (not including basic lands).

Code:
Proposed Rarity Scheme (300 card set)
          R   U   C    Tot
        --- --- ---    --- 
Black:   13  16  20     49
Blue:    13  16  20     49
Green:   13  16  20     49
Red:     13  16  20     49
White:   13  16  20     49
Multi:   12   6   0     18
Artif:   13   9   0     22
NBLand:  10   5   0     15
------- --- --- ---    ---
Totals: 100 100 100    300
Thanks to galtwish for pointing this potential problem out in a reply to the article.

Any suggestions are welcome. Big set (330+land); medium set (300+land); small set (255+land)... as long as the total is divisible by 3 I can work up the math and get an even rarity distribution.

Z

Zadok001

Do we need to use rarity? I mean, the most this will be is an Apprentice patch, so rarity isn't too relevant, seeing as you'll never open a pack... :) (Well, maybe if WotC becomes extremely generous and goes crazy enough to put Chaos Turtle in charge of R&D...)

Also, I would recommend some kind of 2-3 color lands? Those haven't been explored to their full potential yet, maybe we could do something creative with it...

"I'm back with a vengence..."

C

Chaos Turtle

The purpose of the rarity is so that the cards can be used effectively in the "sealed deck" portion of Apprentice.

Possibly for NetDraft too; looking into that.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't know you could use Apprentice for limited play. That's cool! :D

Didn't CT say he had enough ideas for NB lands already? I thought the article said that mostly he needs more creatures, preferably with cool new abilities/mechanics.

I think a median-size set would be best, although looking at the cards in the article I'd say there's not a lot of chaff there to be pruned out. And CT, you forgot my legend card. Would it help if we changed the CC to WG1? That'd add another multi-color card.

I

Istanbul

Mirage Isle is WAAAAAAY broken.
"I'll tap whatever I want during my turn, and just leave 3 mana and the Isle untapped. During your upkeep, I'll remove all your lands from the game. And I'll do it again, and again, and again...you'll never have more than 1 mana, and all it takes on my behalf is 4 lands."

M

Mordecai

ummm...Istanbul...you have to sacrifice the Mirage Isle for that...

A

Almindhra

This is the second time someone didn't know you had to sac it...Sorry to everyone who was confused

Z

Zadok001

WOW! That card would be shattered into itty bitty pieces if you didn't have to sack it... :) Ah, well, Mindgamer isn't too far from the same effect.

Suicidal Skirge is horrendously underpowered. 4 mana for a fairly small flyer with an ability worse than that of Dungeon Shade? And who thinks Dungeon Shade is a good card? :) Maybe make it a 3/1, or drop the casting cost to 2B or 1BB?

And Martyr's call may be slightly _overpowered_. Usually, it isn't that big a deal, but that thing could wreck house in longer games... Which, I just realized, would be exactly what its supposed to do.

"Before I embarrass myself further..."

C

Chaos Turtle

Sorry about that, TomB. I was afraid I'd miss a few.

What do you think of this?

TomB, Guardian of Mandar
Rare
Creature - Guardian Legend
2WW
2/2
Protection from black.
When TomB, Guardian of Mandar comes into play, destroy all black creatures; they can't be regenerated.
"For as long as the Master rests in his tomb, I shall watch over him." -- TomB
I only upped the mana cost a little to help compensate for his amazing ability.

And Mordecai...

Mordecai, the Destroyer
CW-R
Creature - Knight Legend
1WB
2/2
Mordecai comes into play with one karma counter on it.
First Strike.
Tap: Regenerate target creature with no karma counters and put a karma counter on it.
"The destroyer will protect those who are pious, and destroy those who would harm them." -- The Analects of Mandar
Didn't change much at all. Kinda reminds me of Shiva.