Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I just want to say that I was in no way questioning the judgement of the committee...

...and that Melkor has taken control of my mind....

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Who nominated a card is not important (unless it's Ransac), but the fact that 2+ people nominated a card should be taken into consideration. Is that card more likely to be choosen, maybe, maybe not, but to exclude that information is as bad as making it too important.
The committee is to decide on their own and to be influenced by the arguments of the nominators and other posters. We all have championed our cards, is that a useless endeavor?
I would like to see more debate over the nominations in the thread and then let the committee decide.

Killer Joe

I read the arguments for all cards when posted but never gave much thought into its popularity because it was given a second "nod" of approval.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The committee is to decide on their own and to be influenced by the arguments of the nominators and other posters. We all have championed our cards
But that usually doesn't happen with the second nomination. It's just "I second the nomination of <this card>." That doesn't give any additional info to me and thus no additional weight when considering.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Spiderman said:
But that usually doesn't happen with the second nomination. It's just "I second the nomination of <this card>." That doesn't give any additional info to me and thus no additional weight when considering.
That's fine for you, but others may and can see it differently.
Sometimes I just nominate a card to make the pool bigger (and it's been picked), but usually it's because the card I wanted has been nominated already. Do we want quantity over quality? Well, supposed quality.... but still.....

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. This is all from my perspective.

But then, there also can't be complaints that the nominating pool is so small...

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I'm generalizing, of course. But the reason for the lack of white cards in the hall of fame thus far is simple...

White is boring.

There are some obvious exceptions. Shaharazad is a good one. But overall, white just doesn't have as many fun and exciting cards as the other colors.

Green makes big or numerous creatures. People like smashing your face in with a 17/18 Lhurgoyf. People like running you over with a bunch of 1/1 squirrels.

Red, for some reason, has a ton of oddball tricks and can usually play a pretty fast-paced, destructive game. People will usually like at least one of those.

Blue might be the most infamous color, but it is the king of those oddball tricks. It makes available cards that do things not available to other colors.

Black kills stuff and brings stuff back from the dead. People like doing those too.

What does white do? Gain life? Stall? Stop attackers? Protect its own cards? That's hard to get excited about.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Have to agree with Oversoul here, white is solid, but boring.

Now, what is more popular in our picks, creatures, instants, sorceries, land, artifacts or enchantments?

That may be more interesting to discuss...... well maybe for me......

Killer Joe

Creatures: 11
Enchantments: 4
Sorceries: 4
Instants: 2

Others were artifacts.

But here's an interesting fact: Of the last 10 cards making into the CCHOF 9 of them have been non-creature cards.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Another Ransac pick wins!!!

I'm assuming that the message in the CCHOF indicates that everyone on the committee had a different choice, but that Phage averaged a higher placement than the others.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
That reminds me of what happened with the Homelands Vote. Everyone had the same top 3, but in completely different orders.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've never liked Pemmin's Aura. If I want to play Morphling, I play Morphling. If I want to go around enchanting creatures, I play Armadillo Cloak or something. It seems like some dream one of the designers had (what if we made a card that could turn any creature into a morphling?) and for some reason nobody pointed out that it was too corny to go in an actual set. What next? "Aura of the Pheldagriff"? And the name doesn't help either. If I wanted to play with anagrams, I'd play some sort of game that's supposed to, I don't know, maybe involve anagrams.

D

DarthFerret

I might as well stop nominating...I don't think a single pick of mine has ever won...:)

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
You know, I'm actually okay with the winner. Sure, I'd have liked MINE (the best one) to win, but their rationalization is solid. If is wasn't for things like that, then the Two-headed Giant of Foriys wouldn't have had as much pull when it won. I'm not a big Magic novel reader, but who was Pemmin?

Ransac, cpa trash man