Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

Melkor

Well, well, I get two nominees in a row, and there is nary a peep out of the audience. Well, I have an excuse I'm in the middle of law school finals. Anyway, I obviously agree with the committee's picks and I think they are worthy additions to the Hall of Fame. Obviously, there is a lot less fanfare because they are recent which means that we've all had less time to play them. So now I guess we are going to have to decide how we will go on from here.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
We select a casual deck theme (like Goblins), nominate cards based around that theme, and then vote.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ah.

Honestly, I'm a bit put off/discouraged by the participation level in general with these things; I don't think we'll get enough to really get a good sample.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know. But there's even members on here that don't nominate but participate elsewhere (usually games).

Even KJ, whose idea started this, didn't really nominate cards...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Wouldn't it be about time to nominate cards for Lorwyn?

My favorite Lorwyn card is Shriekmaw. It showcases a major mechanic of the set, it has nice art and it's a very solid card overall. The card gives you versatility: early removal or an evasive finisher. Or both. It doesn't have a flavor text though.

Other noteworthy cards:

Deathrender. Yup, it combo's.

Brion Stoutarm. It's a giant. It tosses creatures at your enemy. Really.

Lignify. The art. The flavor text. Pure brilliance.

Killer Joe

Who's on the current committee?
I would say a year ought to do it for nominating a card, it gives everyone enough time to get the feel of the set. Or, maybe longer?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I agree that it should be about a year. HOWEVER, we COULD discuss some of the other sets we didn't consider: Portal, Unglued, etc.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
A year is good then.

Check the committee on the last casual card in the Hall of Fame; that's who's on it.

I say we stick with the "serious" sets.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Is Portal not a serious set? What about "Three Kingdoms?"

Additionally, the last committee was: KJ, rokapoke, Spiderman. Spidey needs to be replaced next.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't consider them to be. Portal's the "starter set" that they dumbed down and Three Kingdoms was a "niche" set.

And no, KJ is to be replaced next.