Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
By unanimous vote, the Betrayers of Kamigawa CCHoF representative is Day of Destiny.

Again, a pretty limited card pool to choose from, but a fairly decent selection nevertheless, I think.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
My reasoning was that by making a whole class of creatures that tend to appeal to casual players better, the card can be perceived to elevate the casual game. Plus the Kamigawa block itself introduced some cool new legends to the game, and this card made THEM all better too. And by being legendary itself, it's kept from being overpowered, because in multiples it would likely prove to be devastating.

At least, that's what my thought process was when I voted for it...:)

Killer Joe

I can see that TomB, nice job.

I've always thought that Legendary creatures were of a casual nature, my first experience with them was a guy I knew in New York who played an all Legendary Creature deck and all of the cards were from the Legends set.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, like I said in my nomination post, one guy in my play group collected all Legends and tried to make a deck out of them.

I think as a whole, because of the Legendary rule, it's hard to make a Legend-specific deck tourney-worthy - unless you try to do tricks to change creature types. Obviously some specific Legends' powers and abilities make them tourney-worthy, but you don't see a "Legend tribe" deck normally in that environment. But in casual play, it's very appealing :)

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
The nominations were very slim and in multi-player this card is very strong. This type of card really appeals to the casual player.
Also, it's not bad just in general.

Melkor

I like the pick, I'm unfamiliar with a lot of the cards in this block, but this certainly seems worthy of the casual crown. It definitely starts the gears running the moment you look at it.

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
This was a fairly difficult decision. Three cards: Doubling Season, Bloodbond March, and Chorus of the Conclave, all garnered first place votes, but in the end we chose Doubling Season, because, as Mooseman put it, "Doubling Season wins, as the only card to make all judges top list."

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I agree that was the best choice, I just nominated another card to have more choices. But I would have voted for D.S. if I was on the committee :)

TomB

Administrator
Staff member
Hands down the Guildpact winner was Gelectrode, because, as Ephraim put it: "Gelectrode has an awesome name. It definitely speaks to the Vorthos in me who loves the Izzet for the bunch of mad scientists that they are." :D

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm. I like the name and creature type, but I think it's really just a "Tim". I guess because it's red/blue and the abundance of instants and sorceries make the second ability useful though?

N

Notepad

That's the reason I like it, Spidey. I have a RU deck in which the only critter was Gelectrode, and it won a couple battle circles, as well as doing pretty well in duels. When you think about it, he's a Tim that does so much more, and that's tack on an extra 2 damage to direct damage spells (yikes!) or makes your draw spells into super captrip damage. Or, worst yet, makes your counterspells capable of killing things as well as countering a spell. Its the untap ability that made it really fun for me, being a Tim I could tap for not 1 damage, but 2-3 or more almost every turn. And come on, every casual player who hated blue but secretly admired it probably did so for Tim. This is one you don't have to feel ashamed of using. ;)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
I don't mind another Tim, he's definitely casual. It's just that when I'm on the committee, one of the things I look for is if the card does something "new and groundbreaking", as opposed to just rehashing old abilities or themes.

If there aren't any, then I go back to name, flavor, and a cooler rehashed ability :)

I think it's an okay pick and the name may send it over the top, it just wouldn't have been my first choice.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
What's an Island????? :D

Actually, I look for cards that would see a lot of use in casual environments.
This one is easy to use and doesn't need a lot of tuning to improve the deck it's in.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I've never seen Evolution Vat used before, but I'd play it. It would take a lot of mana to make it go really crazy, but once that happens...