Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I didn't say "is to be." I said "needs to be." He CLEARLY has no idea what he's doing.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
While I believe that a planeswalker needed to be included in the conversation for the HOF, I still completely disagree that any of them was worth selection. Unanimous vote as well. Complete miss by the voting panel, imho.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Well, only one was nominated and we all agreed that it trumped the rest of the nominees, good as they were.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Ransac;286628 said:
While I believe that a planeswalker needed to be included in the conversation for the HOF, I still completely disagree that any of them was worth selection. Unanimous vote as well. Complete miss by the voting panel, imho.

Ransac, cpa trash man
Are you implying that planeswalkers have no casual appeal?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Shabbaman;286721 said:
Are you implying that planeswalkers have no casual appeal?
Not at all. I'm merely insinuating that, because this was the first set to have Planeswalkers, other worthy nominations were dismissed. Each of the Planeswalkers have a casual appeal to them (and I believe Chandra fit this the best), but I thought that R&D did a fantastic job designing the overall flavor of the entire set (from a casual perspective) and the Planeswalkers were not at all the best choice. '

I'm simply not impressed enough with "First set with planeswalkers = automatic selection" concept.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I want to note that the Morningtide choice actually was unanimous. I have been having computer problems (specifically, my computer is old and the hard drive is probably deteriorating or something) and not been on much, so I was rather hasty in sending out the PM. I sent it as a response to the last one I had received, which was sent by Rokapoke, so Spidey never saw it.

Also, why does the link direct me to the 19th page of this 22-page thread?

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry for the confusion, I'll change the Hall thread to reflect the unanimous choice.

And probably because there's a "page=19" hardcoded in that link. I'll change that too.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I like this choice. Much better selection than the last one and obviously the most casual nomination amongst the contenders.

Ransac, cpa trash man

turgy22

Nothing Special
Wow. I had no idea this thing was still going on. Thanks, everyone, for letting me know I'm on the committee, especially rokapoke for the nomination. :p

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Oops, I thought you read all of the threads, although I see you didn't vote for the next committee member... my bad, I'll send a PM in the future to the winners.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Since I've only said anything about the Shadowmoor nominees in my one PM, I just want to note that the winner was my least favorite choice this time. Apparently I'm the exception and I suppose with enough people someone is going to be. I ranked Swans first, Oona second, Wort third, and Reaper King last. I don't think it's a terrible card, but I am a bit surprised that it's so popular.

turgy22

Nothing Special
Here was my argument for Reaper King:
turgy22 said:
Reaper King, IMO, screams casual. First of all, it's a pioneer in the multicolor department (much like Sliver Queen, who won Stronghold), being the first 5-color hybrid mana card. BUT, by the nature of it's 5-color arrangement, it can actually be played in any deck, which I find interesting.

I also think it's the best nominee because it's a powerful card, but a niche card. It wants you to build a deck around it... a deck of scarecrows, which are also a niche creature type... and, IMO, a casual creature type (like Ninjas or Thallids). And, if you manage to put the right pieces around it, it turns into a 6/6 Vindicate on a stick, while giving all the pieces around it +1/+1. At the same time, it's still delicate (expensive + artifact + creature = anyone can deal with it) enough to be exciting when it actually works.

On a different level, it has a lot of qualities that draw casual players to Magic. 6/6 = big. Legendary = cool. Multicolor + artifact = unusual. Art = creepy, but he's got a pumpkin on his head, which is kind of funny. The flavor text is solid, if unspectacular.

So Reaper King gets my vote atm. I'd vote Swans #2, Wort #3 and Oona #4, if we need a "points" tie-breaker.

PS: I just read the nomination thread and I think it's worth noting that 3 of the 4 people who put in nominations mentioned Reaper King. Shabbaman called it "unmistakably cool" and Ransac said it was "so ridiculous." And that's from the people that didn't actually nominate it.
Also, I'll note that of the four nominees, I've only actually played with one - Wort - which I never really had any fun with. I've played against Oona numerous times and it never felt casual. I was fairly open to either Swans or Reaper King, but just looking at them, Reaper King has a more casual feel. You don't even really need to make an argument for it. There's so many quirky things about it that makes it seem like a casual HOFer. Swans is the sort of card I love - efficient with a quirky drawback - but not so "casual" IMO.