Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

T

train

Valid reasoning Turgy...

My view on it stems from - what would make this more interesting in teaching it to my daughter and wife... in this instance - my daughter has just learned how to "cycle-infinitely" and loves her deck... (ashnod's Altar affinity mana generation for damage, life gain, creature generation, deck milling, etc. - all in one deck)

this added a win factor for her that wasn't in it previously... so it seemed great for casual as she knows it most likely won't hit par in a tourney...

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
Oversoul;288166 said:
How many big, red, flying dragons do we need?
Funny, as that's exactly what Sarkhan Vol does :rolleyes:

In my reasoning a card should be a good representative of the set. Sarkhan Vol isn't. It's just a random card thrown into the set. Like Lich's mirror. I don't think I'll bother to nominate a card next time.

T

train

I'd say Vol is casual - but he's on the fence maybe... or is the fence... it really depends on the utility with him... If in there solely for the dragon boost - then casual in that manner... but I see enough utility in him to be viable in a well constructed deck for serious play...

T

theorgg

I was all for the Flameblast Dragon. Here is my direct quote from my argument:

Frankly, I've played with all four cards, and the most fun one is without a doubt the dragon.

I attack. BWHOOOSH!

This dragon doesn't just have a little hyped up butane lighter, it can belch a bigass'd ball of fire at ANYTHING you want it to!

It's very fun just to go swing, and BWOOOSH!

It's without a doubt the most casual card that was nominated, and is one of the most fun cards to play with in the set.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
While I still agree that SV was the most casual out of the bunch, I'm starting to see the Dragon's side. From a flavor perspective, though, Flameblast dragon is perfect. DRAGON SWOOPS IN TO BASH AND BREATHES FIRE ON ALL WHO DARE!!!!!!!

Playing devil's advocate though, my initial reason for not nominating the dragon to begin with is that he's no fun to play against.

Ransac, cpa trash man

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Shabbaman;288180 said:
Funny, as that's exactly what Sarkhan Vol does :rolleyes:
I think you know Sarkhan Vol does three things. And I've always had a soft spot for token-generators anyway. But like I said, I was reluctant with this one.

In my reasoning a card should be a good representative of the set. Sarkhan Vol isn't. It's just a random card thrown into the set. Like Lich's mirror. I don't think I'll bother to nominate a card next time.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure I've usually liked your nominations. I don't really see the point about being a "representative of the set." I mean, it's probably nice and all that Magic sets are printed with themes and such, but I don't really pay attention to all that stuff and maybe that reflects on me and I'm missing part of how these cards should really be judged.

As for Kresh and the other card, maybe they fit into the theme of Shards quite nicely and I'm unaware of it. In that case, I'll take the random cards thrown into the set over the stuff that best represents the set. Three colors and so much mana is just too much for me unless the card is amazing.

T

theorgg

He's fun to steal and to kill, though.

And even when he's getting your life total down, you just gotta smile as he breathes in your face.

turgy22

Nothing Special
I'm with Oversoul on the "set representative" thing. As I posted above, being a good representative of the set is not in my criteria for judging. If we were voting for "Casual MVP" for each set, then I'd probably consider it, but for a Hall of Fame, I think the idea is just to get the best card, regardless of what's around it.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
I think eventually you'd get the same discussion as we had with the Hall of Shame. There we couldn't agree on whether the Hall of Shame was filled with bad cards or with the worst card from each set. I think that in a Hall, whether it's this one or another, a card is a representative of the set. I would rather look at the Hall of Fame and think "oh yes, Alara, that was the multicolor set with those big overpriced legend lords" then "oh right, a dragon in this set, legend in that set, planeswalker, oh look, another planeswalker, hey another planeswalker". If I look at a set I see the set as it is: a set. I have no problem to just pick a card that's fun to me, but that's very subjective. That's why I have my criteria, and those differ from yours. If you're looking for a large list of top casual cards, I'd say it's probably better if we went with a top 10 list instead of this Hall.

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
Well, when I do think of sets, I normally think of them in terms of the cards I actually use from them. I've always associated Alliances with Force of Will more than any other card. When When Nemesis first came out, I probably associated it more with cards that are more representative of the set as a whole, but I think I shifted pretty quickly to associating Nemesis with Saproling Burst and Blastoderm. I already associate Shards of Alara with Ad Nauseam. So anyway, I think any attempt I would make to select which card captures the essence of a set would be fraught with my own personal bias, whereas focusing more on what cards would be fun in casual play, while still personal, should be easier to frame and for people to have some sort of common understanding of, maybe...

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
The Hall is now caught up from our policy of waiting a year before voting for a set, so Conflux will be eligible when the set after Zendikar is released (soon, at the end of January, right?)

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
What made you think of this after five years? :)

I think we decided there were too few people to either make nominations or be on the committee to vote (or both), so we stopped the Hall.

Shabbaman

insert avatar here
It was, and yet it wasn't... the Hall of Fame is stickied on top of this subforum, and it links to this thread.