Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
My experience is kind of like Limited's. Most people weren't paying 11 for it. Tinker was broken enough with Phyrexian Colossus, but an 11/11 indestructable trampler is even better. I like good cards, but my issue with the Colossus is that it is so resilient. One guy in my old playgroup would use it in an Oath of Druids deck. Of course, Oath is a broken card by itself and deserves part of the blame, but without Darksteel Colossus his Oath deck would have been pretty scrubby. I would Boomerang it, but then he'd Brainstorm it back into his library and Oath it up again. I'd kill his other creatures and Edict him, but then he'd just Oath it back up again. Even if I used Swords, he'd have a bunch of life and then he'd just Oath up another Colossus. Also, I'm a long-time fan of both Polar Kraken and Serra Avatar. This card seems to act as a replacement for both. It has an easier mana requirement to play than the Kraken (11 as opposed to 8UUU), the same power and toughness, both trample, it lacks the ridiculous upkeep cost, and it is indestructable. The only thing the Kraken now has going for it is reanimation, and even that drawback can actually be more of an advantage for the Colossus (there are a lot of situations where you might not want your big creature sitting in the graveyard). Serra Avatar is at least cheaper, but she can be killed, doesn't trample, and might be a lot less than 11/11 by the time you get her out. Darksteel Colossus is better than either card. It might be a lot better. It's a very, very good card and I'd Tinker it out in a heartbeat, but it's one of the cards I sometimes wish they hadn't printed.

L

Limited

It is one of the more difficult situations.. Tinker, on its own, seems cute. You sac an artifact and mold it into another one. But the problem is that not all artifacts are created equal and being able to sac a Signet to fetch the Colossus is where it breaks down.

So I have more of a problem with cards like Tinker and Oath of Druids. But the Colossus being so resilient does broaden the spectrum and thus raises the power of cards like Tinker.

Killer Joe

The DC pick is just fine, nice work committee! :)

Just a note for all of us that have been on the CCHoFC; who ever are the current committee members are at the time you're in, just make sure you all agree as to the "method" you use to determine your pick i.e. if you all agree to have a top 3 pick then all members should do a top 3 pick. There are no REAL METHODS for the committee to use and that's the beauty of the whole process, it can change from one group to another.

sweet :p

D

DarthFerret

It was the one that easily made the most sense (of the nominations).

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Relentless Rats is a nice pick. It pays homage back to the old days of no card limitations (40 plague rats!!!!!!!!!!!)

Ransac, cpa trash man

L

Limited

Relentless Rats.. I can live with that. Still like the Cosmic Larva though :(

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
Ransac said:
Relentless Rats is a nice pick. It pays homage back to the old days of no card limitations (40 plague rats!!!!!!!!!!!)
Or 40 Stone Rains!!!

Maybe next time around Limited :)

B

BigBlue

As we're getting closer to the end of the cycle of sets...

We should discuss whether there will be a second round - and if so, how will it work.

There are two facets to think of - the nomination process and the induction process.

We could use the unchosen cards from the initial run as nominees with additions. We could alternatively open it up to having up to 3 nominations per person per set.

Then, for induction purposes, I propose changing from a commitee to having everyone vote on each of the nominees (In or Out). If the card is voted in by at least XX% of the ballots, then it's in. The XX should probably be 60-80% whatever is decided beforehand.

We could go through each set - or maybe each block.

Or, we could just say this is the list, one card per set... Anyone else have thoughts or ideas?

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
I'm of the idea that everyone nominates 3 cards per set and the committee boils it down to 2 or 3 cards, then everyone votes to induct one card.

Melkor

I kind of like going back and having multiple nominees and possibly multiple inductees. More like the baseball of hall of fame with everyone getting a vote. I think it would be fun and probably provoke some serious conversation.

D

DarthFerret

As long as no one inducts an card that took illegal sterroids (hello Barry, ya hear that?)

Oversoul

The Tentacled One
I hate Relentless Rats. It seems like something that shouldn't have been printed outside of Unglued. Reminds me of that Unglued card that said it was restricted in the card text.

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Oversoul said:
I hate Relentless Rats. It seems like something that shouldn't have been printed outside of Unglued. Reminds me of that Unglued card that said it was restricted in the card text.
Then you must really hate this one that abused it, Marrow-Gnawer.

I didn't really like this block, so Why this one?

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this particular selection.... but, hey! That's what the committee has chosen!

Ransac, cpa trash man