Casual Card Hall of Fame Discussion

B

BigBlue

I'm ok with the winner too... for me it was a toss up between the Aura and the Forgotten Ancient... But, I think the shear broken ability of the Ancient in Multiplayer is what took it out of the mix. It was only on two of the ballots, while the Aura topped two ballots and was on the third. Form of the Dragon was a close second as it was second on two ballots and also made it to the third ballot (as I recall).

If Forgotten Ancient were a bit less broken somehow - maybe if it weren't able to move those counters... or you could only put them on for 1 opponent... I think it would have been a shoe in.

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
Well, FOTD was the best card, anyway. You guys just didn't want to have to let another one of MY cards win.

Ransac, cpa trash man

B

BigBlue

As has been said before... This is only the first round of Casual Cards... FotD will have another chance... But, I think we'll want to change how they are approved... maybe go to a Baseball HOF type ballot... Where you post nominees, get arguements for and against each card, then everyone (or at least X voters) votes yea or nay for each nomination... A card needs to have 75% yes votes to get in...

B

BigBlue

Informed our official Master of Ceremonies....

Mr. Spiiiiiiiiiiiiii-der-Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

All Together now:

Spider-Man, Spider-Man,
Does whatever a spider can,
Spins a web,
Any Size.
Catches Thieves,
Just like Flies,
Look Out!
Here comes the Spiderman.

Click Spider-Man

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
No, mine did :)

We need to change the rules about nominating committee members though... I think from now on, any nominees need to have been active within the last 7 days of the nomination.

Killer Joe

I don't own a Platnium Angel but am always prepared to see one in Multiplayer, its a good card but unless it has "...can't be the target of spells or abilities..." or has Indestructable, wait, DOES it have Indestructable? Anyway, its easy to get rid of.

Spiderman

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't have indestructible. And it is fairly easy to get rid of, unless you pair with something that gives it untargetability :) But that's what makes it so casual!

Ransac

CPA Trash Man
I'll claim the the vote was fixed!!!!! I DEMAND A RECOUNT!!!!!

*After 145 recounts, the results consistently came back as 2-0 for Platinum Angel..... well, except for the one time that it came out 214-83 and the one time that Pat Buchanan won.*

Ransac, cpa trash man

Mooseman

Isengar Tussle
Wow, DarkSteel Colossus... I am on a roll.....
I can't wait to hear about the fight over this pick......

L

Limited

Spiderman said:
Yeah, what was up with this and Limited indecision? :)
The fact is that I don't like cards that are too good. So cards like Sword of Fire and Ice will never get my vote/nomination. But no matter how I looked at the cards, and rearranged the picks, I just had to put Darksteel Colossus on #1.

It is very good and has seen a fair amount of tournament play. I like to think that one of the reasons Tooth and Nail became a keycard in a tournament deck is because it could fetch DC. And yet.. its the Timmie in me that is still in awe of this card. 11/11 trample. Indestructable's posterboy. With built-in reanimation-prevention.

On the other hand, I've seen this guy wreck casual games too many times. A lot of my pre-Darksteel decks simply didn't have any answer to an 11/11 indestructable. It was the reason Grab the Reins was in every deck that could possibly cast it.

But I think that this bitter taste stems from one guy in my playgroup who dished out a lot of cash to get himself a playset and played the deck a lot. He would bring two or three decks to a game-night so we were bound to see his Mycosynth Golem + Darksteel Colossus + Loxodon Warhammer a lot. Sure, sometimes he'd change some of the other cards around, but this was always the core. Even recently he managed to rebuild the deck (he had taken it apart) but now it also include Mishra, Artificer Prodigy. Whats more fun than one Colossus? You guessed it, two Colossi! :(

But in the end I decided that my problem was not with the card (the Colossus is just cool) but with that player. So #1 it remained.

B

BigBlue

To correct one small piece of misinformation on Mirrodin... I was the one who wanted no card... I hope I didn't misinform or mislead you.

As far as the Colossus is concerned, I have never seen one in play... It seems insane, but yet for 11 it isn't that bad... it can combo with things which break it more (Goblin Welder)... but so can any card. That is a card every noobie would want in his deck (See Craw Wurm)... I would still like to see more UNC or Common Casual Cards make the HOF... I mean, casual isn't about rares the way tournaments are.

Oh, and as for the "fight"...

We had been each choosing a top 3, then running like a basketball poll on them to figure the winner - in almost every case so far that I've been a part of, the winner was also usually ranked #1 on 2 of the lists making them 2-1 decisions... But, one member did a top 5 poll and made it so a different card eked out a win, but no one had made that card top pick... and it wasn't our normal method... when we then made it a choice of 2 cards, we had 2 votes on either side, and the third vote was in the middle - leaning towards the DC... ergo, the 1.6 to 1.4 votes... :)